Anyone see this S-500 with an F-100 Humbucker in the bridge?

Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:25 pm

Re: Anyone see this S-500 with an F-100 Humbucker in the bri

Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:51 pm

That's cool Jag !
Does she have a name?

The black Saddlelock , is it smooth or textured?

I'd love to see some pics taken in the sunlight.

Nice design work Jag.

elwood

Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:28 pm

Thank you Elwood! It is a smooth black saddle lock. She is called the "Hemi-500"

Here is the text from G&L's Instagram feed.

"The Hemi-500 built for Patrick Krook, owner of @showyourauto. S-500 neck & middle and F-100 humbucker. Blackplate Saddle Lock bridge. Mopar Go Mango / Vitamin C over black stained Okoume. Quartersawn maple with ebony, abalone dots, stainless frets, Graph Tech nut, matching headstock. Much more..."

I really want to know if you guys see value in offering the F-100 humbucker in more models than just the F100...

Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:52 pm

JagInTheBag wrote:Thank you Elwood! It is a smooth black saddle lock. She is called the "Hemi-500"

Here is the text from G&L's Instagram feed.

"The Hemi-500 built for Patrick Krook, owner of @showyourauto. S-500 neck & middle and F-100 humbucker. Blackplate Saddle Lock bridge. Mopar Go Mango / Vitamin C over black stained Okoume. Quartersawn maple with ebony, abalone dots, stainless frets, Graph Tech nut, matching headstock. Much more..."

I really want to know if you guys see value in offering the F-100 humbucker in more models than just the F100...

Yes, I saw that on G&L's Instagram page. I figured you would be posting this soon.

It looks great! :thumbup:

Does it have a push/pull pot for coil spilting the MFD humbucker? Tell us more about the "Much more...".

I too, am in favor of expanding the use of the MFD Humbuckers. And, I do have a custom order in the works at the factory with those pickups...but will wait for my
order to be completed and delivered before providing any of the specs and photos. Stay tuned.

:ugeek:

Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:16 pm

Yes Craig,

The push/pull does split the coil and with an interesting effect depending on the toggle switch position. The guitar is hum-cancelling in the "2" position between neck and middle, and "4" between the middle and humbucker when the F100 is split, and obviously in the "5" position when the humbucker isn't split. Tonal versatility is a tremendous and all the positions give you very usable tone.

As for the "much more", I think they were just alluding to the stained open grain wood in transparent black in both the masked area and the faux binding. The main body color is Vitamin-C. Not much more possible to report than that. It stupid light and well balanced to boot!

I look forward to hearing and seeing your F100 concoction. :)

Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:00 pm

Any word on whether black saddle lock bridges will be available through the store, or any other way for me to purchase ?

Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:48 am

I been watching it on Facebook :) and it's very sweet , I want one too , love the saddle lock bridge !!

Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:22 am

I saw this on Instagram too. Very sweet! :thumbup:

Is this a different one from the one for Color My World exhibit? I thought the accent was black. I got to say the stained Okoume is unbelievably gorgeous. Just a very cool looking guitar!

As for the F100 pickups - ABSOLUTELY, these need to be offered in more guitars. From what I understand, G&L purchased new tooling for the covers, might as well put that tooling use.

I'd love to see a variant of the 25th anniversary ASAT being offered as standard model. Could use a bolt on neck rather than set neck to keep the 25th unique.

I love the SC/Fallout/LE2 body so making HG would be sweet.

I also would like to see how the F100 neck PU would work with a soapbar MFD bridge pickup. A Special Blueboy MFD version.

The MFD pickup to me are one of tha main features that make G&L guitars unique and great.

Congratulations Patrick, that is one of the sweetest looking guitars I've seen!

Dan

Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:51 am

Profoundly cool. Only G&L could do this. Gorgeous.
And a very roadworthy mix of pickups! I can imagine it being great to use in the heat of.
That pickup set also appeals hugely to me in an Asat, so I could put a bender on... :luv:

Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:41 am

JagInTheBag wrote:Image

That one looks nasty :shock:

I like that it has PTB tone controls, in my opinion a must for that bridge pickup

Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:29 am

It certainly adds versatility to the tone palate SouthpawGuy

Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:30 pm

I think that's a beautiful guitar. Are you planning on letting Nick Jeffe demo it for the rest of us? :idea: based on the GbL LE II I say that MFD bucker should be a standard option on all the G&L's

Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:56 am

WitSok wrote:I saw this on Instagram too. Very sweet! :thumbup:

Is this a different one from the one for Color My World exhibit? I thought the accent was black. I got to say the stained Okoume is unbelievably gorgeous. Just a very cool looking guitar!

As for the F100 pickups - ABSOLUTELY, these need to be offered in more guitars. From what I understand, G&L purchased new tooling for the covers, might as well put that tooling use.

I'd love to see a variant of the 25th anniversary ASAT being offered as standard model. Could use a bolt on neck rather than set neck to keep the 25th unique.

I love the SC/Fallout/LE2 body so making HG would be sweet.

I also would like to see how the F100 neck PU would work with a soapbar MFD bridge pickup. A Special Blueboy MFD version.

The MFD pickup to me are one of tha main features that make G&L guitars unique and great.

Congratulations Patrick, that is one of the sweetest looking guitars I've seen!

Dan

Dan, this one is different that the guitar at Color My World. It went back to the factory for a full redo. The only this that is the same is the neck.

Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:05 am

That is real looker! :alright:

Thanks for sharing, I would love to hear clips if possible.

Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:52 pm

We need an angled offset version of the F-100 humbucker for the SC-2 and ASAT SPECIALS!!!

Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:06 pm

sam wrote:That is real looker! :alright:

Thanks for sharing, I would love to hear clips if possible.

I shall see what we can rustle up!

~Jag

Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:00 pm

Sorry to hi-jack this thread :? :oops: But I've got a question :

So far, anyone tried F100 in bridge on a S500? I want to make that mod on a S500 of mine but am afraid to dive in :lol:
My bet is it sounds amazing, as I really love the S500 single coils, but I am really a humbucker lover... And I am just afraid it doesn't fit the S500 standard circuitry - PTB board (I am a neophyte on guitar's electronic)... I really really really love the PTB system, really versatile and the volume treble bass controls are perfect for me.

Also, would the spacing of the pickups relative to the bridge be the same as the single MFD? I mean, taking for granted I will have to rout the pickguard a bit to fit the Single coil in the bridge position.

Maybe I could add a F100 in the neck too, like the original F100, but with a PTB system.

That guitar looks amazing by the way. Eye candy!! :rolleyes:

Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:24 pm

I've never heard an S-500/F-100 combo, but there were a couple of first-run ASAT IIIs built with two Skyhawk pups (what the current S-500 pups evolved from) and an HG humbucker at the bridge. I can tell you from first-hand experience that it is an amazing combination. To my ears the HG bridge humbucker is slightly brighter than the F-100's, but my frame of reference is early production '80-'81 F-100s. I'm not sure how they compare to the current version.

Ken

Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:30 am

That's what I would love to ear... unfortunately, newest F100 ain't got much info on them... there is absolutely no audio or video clip anywhere... it's hard to shell out 500$ on a "maybe" situation, but I might dig in, not sure yet!

Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:48 pm

I would love for them to make the s500 humbucker an available option or make something in the tribute line utilizing it, or just make a tribute f100 honestly

Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:23 pm

Craig wrote:
I too, am in favor of expanding the use of the MFD Humbuckers. And, I do have a custom order in the works at the factory with those pickups...but will wait for my
order to be completed and delivered before providing any of the specs and photos. Stay tuned.

Whatever came of this Craig? Do you have it?

Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:44 pm

JagInTheBag wrote:
Craig wrote:

It's on hold ... waiting for the new Custom Creations Department to get deployed ...it was (is?) to be the first one built out of that new department.

Still waiting ...

Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:49 pm

Craig wrote:
JagInTheBag wrote:
Craig wrote:

It's on hold ... waiting for the new Custom Creations Department to get deployed ...it was (is?) to be the first one built out of that new department.

Still waiting ...

I know that feeling. And some things are well worth the wait. :thumbup: