Legacy PTB bass control ineffective

Fri May 01, 2015 10:32 am

For quite a few years I've owned a '96 SSS Legacy. The bass control for the PTB system works but very, very slightly and I thought this was the normal operation for this control. Last year I picked up what I think is also a '96 model but it's a Legacy HB and the bass control works much better. I can hear much more difference in the pot's rotation.
Could the SSS Legacy have a faulty pot or resistor? I bought both guitars used and as far as I know the electronics are original. Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Legacy PTB bass control ineffective

Fri May 01, 2015 10:48 am

mbstrums wrote:For quite a few years I've owned a '96 SSS Legacy. The bass control for the PTB system works but very, very slightly and I thought this was the normal operation for this control. Last year I picked up what I think is also a '96 model but it's a Legacy HB and the bass control works much better. I can hear much more difference in the pot's rotation.
Could the SSS Legacy have a faulty pot or resistor? I bought both guitars used and as far as I know the electronics are original. Thanks in advance for any help.

You might check the current wiring. See this Gallery Album: Legacy Diagrams.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Fri May 01, 2015 5:52 pm

Welcome to GuitarsByLeo!

mbstrums wrote:For quite a few years I've owned a '96 SSS Legacy. The bass control for the PTB system works but very, very slightly and I thought this was the normal operation for this control. Last year I picked up what I think is also a '96 model but it's a Legacy HB and the bass control works much better. I can hear much more difference in the pot's rotation.

Here are some additional drawings for a standard Legacy that you might find useful. Click the thumbnail image for a full-sized version. There will also be a text link to a PDF version.

Block diagram PDF

Schematic PDF

I also have circuits for the Legacy Special and the Legacy HB.

Ken...

Tue May 05, 2015 4:41 am

Thanks for the links to the schematics.