Question for my Tremelo on my early 90's 3 bolt Legacy

Sat May 01, 2010 1:50 pm

The block seems a matte type finish and the springs are thick but seem to be of a different material than most springs used in trems. Would replacing the springs to a more sustain type of metal help the sustain of the guitar better? Is there any block mod available for the G&L dual fulcrum trem system to add on a bigger block like ppl are doing now for Floyd Roses?

THanks

Re: Question for my Tremelo on my early 90's 3 bolt Legacy

Sun May 09, 2010 12:34 am

>>>?????

Sun May 09, 2010 4:20 am

My guess is the springs have a different finish, and are made from a similar (if not the same) material as other trem springs. I doubt changing springs will add sustain.

You're limited on what you can do to the trem. I think Callaham is the only company making an aftermarket block for a G&L.

Mon May 10, 2010 6:00 am

callham, huh? cool. The springs in the new tremelo -replaced older one in the George fullerton sig model -ash body- came with thinner -slightly- shiny springs that make that typical springy SOUND when touching /adusting them whereas the legacy -also a 3 bolt neck- has these lackluster thicker coil springs that seem kinda dead in comparison. I will be selling the fullerton model, should swap the springs? That is what I really want to know... :banana:

Wed May 12, 2010 11:16 am

I really wonder if a pricey Callaham block will make a diff on a Legacy. The aftermarket for blocks came about in great part as a response to those horrific cast magnesium blocks (the tapered ones) - even a $35 GFS trem is a massive improvement over those (say on a mexi strat). G&L guitars were produced in response to Fender's cost-cutting & lack of development, and have nice, beefy steel blocks... wondering if a different block would be noticeable?

Wed May 12, 2010 6:19 pm

cloudy wrote:I really wonder if a pricey Callaham block will make a diff on a Legacy. The aftermarket for blocks came about in great part as a response to those horrific cast magnesium blocks (the tapered ones) - even a $35 GFS trem is a massive improvement over those (say on a mexi strat). G&L guitars were produced in response to Fender's cost-cutting & lack of development, and have nice, beefy steel blocks... wondering if a different block would be noticeable?

The steel blocks G&L are using now are nice, and a big improvement over the early die cast zinc blocks they used to use. But they do have some lead content, whereas the Callaham and the pre CBS fender blocks are and were made out of 1080 cold rolled steel with NO lead content. I haven't compared the Callaham blocks to the G&L steel blocks but have swicthed out the blocks on three of my early G&L's with the zinc blocks and have noticed an improvement in sustain and just a nicer solid and smoother feel to the trem.