Is the ASAT classic USA really a 7.5" Radius?

Sat May 01, 2010 8:12 am

Hi All,

Another question related to my recently purchased ASAT USA classic. The specs on the website say that this should have a 7.5" radius neck. However the fingerboard radius looks and feels more gibson like 12" to me. I tried other ASAT USA classic's in Emerald city guitars in Seattle and they felt the same? Is the 7.5" statement on the web site wrong?

Cheers,

Tim

Re: Is the ASAT classic USA really a 7.5" Radius?

Sat May 01, 2010 8:47 am

ta11438 wrote:Hi All,

Another question related to my recently purchased ASAT USA classic. The specs on the website say that this should have a 7.5" radius neck. However the fingerboard radius looks and feels more gibson like 12" to me. I tried other ASAT USA classic's in Emerald city guitars in Seattle and they felt the same? Is the 7.5" statement on the web site wrong?

Cheers,

Tim

Hi Tim,

The standard specs on the website are correct. However, with most of the USA G&L models, you can order one with various options. There are several neck options to choose from, so I would check with the dealer you purchased the guitar from and ask them the neck specs on your guitar. Here's a link to the G&L Guitar Options page for your reference.

If have not already registered your ASAT Classic in our G&L Registry, please do.
Oh, and there are some here, that REQUIRE photo proof of a newly acquired G&L, before they will believe it exists :lol:

Hope this helps.

Sun May 02, 2010 8:32 am

The ASAT radius never feels as curved to me as the Fender 7.25" radius; it feels much closer to 9.5" to me. That is fine with me, as the ASAT radius seems perfect.

Tue May 04, 2010 3:19 pm

There is a huge difference in feel between 7.5" and 12" fingerboard radius. I prefer a 12" radius, though my most recent purchase has the 7.5". It does indeed feel flatter that Fenders 7.25" and I think it's the bigger frets that do it. Tneyre much more playable to me than the Fender radius.

Wed May 12, 2010 10:13 pm

Hi All,

I've checked the radius with a gauge, it's a 9.5" radius all the way down the neck. The dealers info states its 7.5"!

The radius felt the same as the other G&L ASAT's I've tried... interesting maybe they've changed and this is now their standard neck radius.

Regards,

Tim

Wed May 12, 2010 10:43 pm

I've checked the radius with a gauge, it's a 9.5" radius all the way down the neck. The dealers info states its 7.5"!

The radius felt the same as the other G&L ASAT's I've tried... interesting maybe they've changed and this is now their standard neck radius.

Regards,

Tim

Well, I can check with the factory to see if a change was made or if some special radius necks were done.

Stay tuned.

Thu May 13, 2010 12:27 am

My Special and my Deluxe both have #1 necks, my Classic Bluesboys neck is a #4, the number should be written on the neck, as seen in the picture below.

According to this: http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/US ... guitar.asp , these are 12" radius necks:

Thu May 13, 2010 9:40 am

Craig wrote:

Regards,

Tim

Well, I can check with the factory to see if a change was made or if some special radius necks were done.

Stay tuned.

Steve Grom, G&L Director of Manufacturing, replied to my query about this.
Here is his response:

Without seeing the instruments or having more information on when it may have been made, it’s hard to comment.

The “default” neck on an ASAT Classic, unless specified, is a #2, Vintage “C” with a 7.5” radius. G&L offers 10 different neck options, so it’s hard to know how this instrument was originally ordered.

Thanks

Steve

I also asked him about the production of the fretboard radius and he said:

We use both our HAAS CNC machines and Leo’s original “swing arm” method for doing fingerboard radii …. It depends on the specific model and radius as to which process we use.

What is the serial number of your ASAT Classic or atleast the prefix (ie. G0, CL, CLF)? Can you elaborate on how you
measured the radius on your guitar?

Hope this helps.