Small brown mark on the back of the headstock of new ASAT

Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:56 pm

Hi All,

I just bought a brand new USA ASAT classic off ebay, and noticed a small brown mark about 1cm diameter on the back of the headstock below the low E string Tuner. At first I thought it was the grain in the wood, but on closer inspetion it looked like a speck of grease under the lacquer.

I went into a G&L dealer to compare my ASAT with some others and noticed that the two USA ASAT classics in the shop had a very similar mark in almost the same location! (this was not the shop where I bought my ASAT)

Any ideas what this could be? Perhaps the necks were made on the same jig and there was some excess oil lying around?

Tim

Re: Small brown mark on the back of the headstock of new ASAT

Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:07 pm

ta11438 wrote:Hi All,

I just bought a brand new USA ASAT classic off ebay, and noticed a small brown mark about 1cm diameter on the back of the headstock below the low E string Tuner. At first I thought it was the grain in the wood, but on closer inspetion it looked like a speck of grease under the lacquer.

I went into a G&L dealer to compare my ASAT with some others and noticed that the two USA ASAT classics in the shop had a very similar mark in almost the same location! (this was not the shop where I bought my ASAT)

Any ideas what this could be? Perhaps the necks were made on the same jig and there was some excess oil lying around?

Tim

I recently answered a very similar question, so see that post for the answer.

BTW, since this is a G&L related topic, I moved it from the General Music Discussion forum to here.

Hope this helps.

Sat May 01, 2010 5:09 am

Thanks at least I now know. Although why do G&L need to do this when no other Guitar manufacturer seems to need to do this?

Sat May 01, 2010 3:02 pm

ta11438 wrote:Thanks at least I now know. Although why do G&L need to do this when no other Guitar manufacturer seems to need to do this?

I going to guess it is some kind of super efficient different more consistent neck making thing Leo dreamed up.

Sat May 01, 2010 3:09 pm

Other makers do it but they usually put the locater pin in a place where it'll be machined away like a tuner hole. Having it where it is probably saves G&L one whole operation which makes the guitar more affordable and it's totally cosmetic.

Sat May 01, 2010 3:44 pm

It's the "Mark of Excellence".