This is such a noob question...

Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:46 pm

Hey guys,

I was a Gibson and PRS player for many years but last year I made the switch to G&L and haven't looked back. Best playing guitar I've had. It's a 2009 Legacy and the thinner necks don't bother me.

Anyway... What is the dot on the back of G&L headstocks? I know it's probably something obvious and I'm sorry for the stupid question but the curiosity is killing me.

Thanks
Steve

Re: This is such a noob question...

Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:11 pm

I asked the same question. That is a Bi-Cut neck.
The neck is cut vertically along it's length, the truss rod is inserted, then it is
glued back together under intense pressure.
Makes for a very stable straight neck in my limited experience.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:35 pm

jazzrat wrote:I asked the same question. That is a Bi-Cut neck.
The neck is cut vertically along it's length, the truss rod is inserted, then it is
glued back together under intense pressure.
Makes for a very stable straight neck in my limited experience.

Actually, I think he's talking about the "birthmark" on the back of the headstock.
It's where the neck is attached to a fixture used by the factory during production of the neck.
It's a hole that is filled with a wood dowel. The darker brown dot in this picture.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:03 pm

Thank you Craig! It was driving me nuts. I was originally guessing it was some kind of a trademark to show it was authentic.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:38 pm

steve444 wrote:Thank you Craig! It was driving me nuts. I was originally guessing it was some kind of a trademark to show it was authentic.

Here's a picture which Tim Page took at the factory of the CNC fixture and you can see the post where the neck wood goes into.

So now you know about the G&L birthmark :thumbup:

Hope this helps.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:57 am

At least you asked. When I got my G&L a couple years ago I just wondered in silence until I saw someone post the question here about it!!

Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:22 am

oops sorry for the bad info...I said I have limited experience. :)
That is interesting..I had not see that pic before