G&L/G&G Cases

Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:50 pm

I've just received a 2015 G&L bass in the rectangle-opening G&G hard case that appears to be the current standard. I don't know a ton about instrument hard cases, but from what I can tell it looks like the case I received is about as good as they get without spending $500 on a custom-fitted road case. I do, however, have a few questions.

1) How does this thing actually protect my instrument? As in, what are the mechanics of it? It's not particularly snug anywhere around the body, so the whole thing feels like witchcraft.

2) How water-resistant are these things? I don't plan on chucking it into a swimming pool, but I'd like to know how fast I should run if it starts to rain between the car and the door.

2A) Has anyone ever gasketed one of these? I have access to a pretty good selection of O-Ring stock and adhesives, so I could easily add a soft rubber gasket to the recess on the bottom half of the case to keep the water out. However, I'd just as soon skip it if it's not necessary or would damage the case.

Re: G&L/G&G Cases

Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:44 pm

Does the case have a G&L logo on it? Usually the new G&L cases have a very snug fit. If the case doesn't have a G&L logo by the handle and it is a new guitar, you may have received the wrong case. As for being waterproof it is not. That would require a special case that is built to be waterproof.

I do not use the original cases while I am gigging. I like to keep the cases as new and use well built gig bags. For single cases, I like the Wolfpak cases and for I basses I use a Reunion Blues double bass bag. It holds both basses and it has been dropped with no damage to the instruments. They are well built and protect the basses very well. Nothing I have is waterproof although most of them would be considered water resistant.If they get rained on a bit they shouldn't leak. Hope this helps. None of my guitars have floated down the river yet 8-) -- Darwin

Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:35 am

It's definitely got a G&L logo on there. From what I understand, this summer they switched from a form-fitted case to a generic rectangle interior case.

That's actually not a bad idea, keeping the OHSC squirreled away and nice. I have a RoadRunner gig bag for my less expensive basses, though using it on my US G&L makes me nervous.

I'm still learning to play, so the only movement it really sees is in the back seat of my Civic, to a friend's place or to a bass lesson. Eventually, though, I figure it'll have some other adventures.

I'm looking at these Reunion Blues bags and they're really nice - I've also heard good things about polyfoam cases. Would you put your Reunion Blues bag into a van with other gear, or into the overhead compartment of an airplane?

Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:46 am

MHoepfl wrote:From what I understand, this summer they switched from a form-fitted case to a generic rectangle interior case.

Where did you hear this?

In 2010 they made this change: G&L Deluxe Hardshell Tolex Case w/Fitted Interior.

It is possible that the dealer gave you the wrong case for your model bass and it sounds like they gave you the universal one. I would contact the selling dealer.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:14 am

I was told by my dealer (MusicStoreLive.com) that G&L had switched from fitted to rectangle cases at some point this summer. He told me that the fitted cases were no longer in production, or something to that effect - I wish I'd saved the email. Someone over at BassesByLeo also told me that there would be a chance that I'd receive a non-fitted case.

At this point, I don't know that I can go back to them about the case - I've had the bass for over a month, and I've had the case out of the house.

Maybe it's the fact that it's an LB-100, which is the only bass they offer with that particular body shape?

Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:17 am

I ordered a G&L which I received last October. It also did not come with a form fitted case. It has a G&L logo on it but it is the generic rectangular version as well. I thought about asking the same question but I figured they must have changed things. It also came with evidence on it that someone had been using it as a coaster for their coffee mug :)

Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:46 am

Regardless of which hard case you have, a cushioned case like a Reunion Blues will afford far greater protection.
Some time back I read a thread on the Telecaster forum.
A professional packaging engineer chimed in.
Here is an excerpt from his response -- I hope I'm not breaking any rules by quoting someone from another forum.

"We look at bracing, blocking and cushioning.

Bracing & Blocking - Holding the item in the right place in a package so that impact to the package will not allow the item to get damaged.

Cushioning - The ability for the package to absorb impact and not transmit impact to the item.

I have a shake table at my office. I can shake a pallet or one box to simulate a truck ride across your state or the whole country. We do this all the time.

Placing a guitar in an absolutely rigid form fitting hard case and placing the case in a trailer is actually lousy. The hard cases that we use (I'm 50/50 - hard/soft with 21 guitars) transmit vibration right into the guitar. The case vibrates and shakes like heck, so does your guitar. A good gig bag with a strap for the neck (holding the neck in the center of the neck area) will actually absorb vibration and not transmit it all right into the guitar. If you drop a gig bag where the neck is strapped into the center of the neck compartment, the bag will absorb a lot of impact before the neck hits the ground. Drop a hard case and the case will transmit the inertia right into your guitar.

Place a light bulb in a rigid wood box and stick it in your trunk for a week (ouch).
Place a light bulb in a padded bag and stick it in your trunk for a week (better)."

My form fitting G&G case lives under my bed since I got the Reunion Blues. I would be much more comfortable checking a guitar on the hold of an airplane in the Reunion bag than the G&G hard case. Overhead compartment --no problem. You've probably seen the promo video of them throwing the guitar off the 3 story building.

Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:01 pm

Based on the excellent information you guys provided and some help from an awesome dealer on Reverb, I just placed an order for a Reunion Blues Continental gig bag. I already use a RB strap which I love to pieces - I dig the way they overbuild things.

I'll let you folks know how I like it once it arrives! Thank you again.

Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:02 pm

My Reunion Blues Continental case came in - I'm SIGNIFICANTLY impressed. It's thoughtfully designed, and I'm really confident that it'll protect my bass better than the OHSC. It's also got a TON of storage space (no more carrying a separate bag with my strap and mini-stand!).

I would recommend one of these to anyone that's looking to upgrade from the OHSC.

Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:31 am

MHoepfl wrote:I was told by my dealer (MusicStoreLive.com) that G&L had switched from fitted to rectangle cases at some point this summer. He told me that the fitted cases were no longer in production, or something to that effect - I wish I'd saved the email. Someone over at BassesByLeo also told me that there would be a chance that I'd receive a non-fitted case.

At this point, I don't know that I can go back to them about the case - I've had the bass for over a month, and I've had the case out of the house.

Maybe it's the fact that it's an LB-100, which is the only bass they offer with that particular body shape?

I contacted Dave about this and have finally hear back from him:

Hi Craig,

The attempt at fully custom fitted cases some years ago didn’t work out, much as we were fond of the idea. What we’ve done now last year was to eliminate the big compartment in the middle, which had been causing problems with the case closing neatly (a frequent complaint). The reason we put the big compartment in there was to keep the brad on the manila envelope from dinging the guitar as would happen from time to time over the years. That problem went away when we stopped using the manila envelope and using the soft black Custom Build envelope, so we could go back to a trapezoidal compartment.

Thanks, Craig!

Dave

:ugeek:

Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:10 am

I concur that a good gig bag can do a great job of protecting your bass from normal transit to and from gigs but a hard case does have its advantages.

Place a light bulb in a rigid wood box and stick it in your trunk for a week (ouch).
Place a light bulb in a padded bag and stick it in your trunk for a week (better)."

Drop a heavy speaker cabinet on the light bulb in the rigid wood box and then on the bulb in the padded bag and see which one fares better. :o

I don't think a gig bag is strong enough to protect a bass or guitar in the cargo hold of an airplane of even a UPS truck.
Reunion Blues makes a great bag but I wouldn't take the chance of shipping a guitar or bass in one.