G&L Tremolo Bar Tension

Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:17 am

Hello, I'm a new S-500 owner and am loving my G&L purchase (running through a Princeton Reverb RI, btw). I've learned a lot from this forum already, so thanks to the members for all the good stuff!

I have a question on the tremolo bar. When I pop it in, it simply "flops around", meaning there is no tension that holds it in place, so it falls down to the 6 o'clock position. I see that there is a screw hole on the tail-end of the tremolo post, and I also see what looks like a wax "insert" (but it is not threaded). I assume that I should also have a screw in there that would then snug the wax insert up against the bar, and thus hold it in place. But I wanted to confirm that there should be a separate screw in there...b/c that is what I don't have.

Does anyone have any info on this? I see a screw/wax insert set for sale on the G&L site (http://www.glguitars.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=39), but a) don't know why I didn't get that originally and b) don't know why there are 6 in the set rather than 1 (what else are they used for?).

thanks
dave

Re: G&L Tremolo Bar Tension

Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:33 am

definatley should be an Allen head screw in there. The tension is very controllable when it's adjusted right.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:48 am

choppydave wrote:Hello, I'm a new S-500 owner and am loving my G&L purchase (running through a Princeton Reverb RI, btw). I've learned a lot from this forum already, so thanks to the members for all the good stuff!

I have a question on the tremolo bar. When I pop it in, it simply "flops around", meaning there is no tension that holds it in place, so it falls down to the 6 o'clock position. I see that there is a screw hole on the tail-end of the tremolo post, and I also see what looks like a wax "insert" (but it is not threaded). I assume that I should also have a screw in there that would then snug the wax insert up against the bar, and thus hold it in place. But I wanted to confirm that there should be a separate screw in there...b/c that is what I don't have.

Does anyone have any info on this? I see a screw/wax insert set for sale on the G&L site (http://www.glguitars.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=39), but a) don't know why I didn't get that originally and b) don't know why there are 6 in the set rather than 1 (what else are they used for?).

thanks
dave

Hi Dave,

These are the little Allen screws that hold the vibrato arm in on G&L Dual Fulcrum tremolo-equipped guitars and are also used on the side of G&L Saddle Lock bridge to lock the saddles together. Because they are very small parts, G&L is providing you with additional spares. You did not mention whether you bought your S-500 from a dealer as a new guitar, but if you did, you
should bring it back to the dealer and show them. They should be able to get you the missing parts right away.

Hope this helps.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:02 pm

If you bought the guitar used, you might just e-mail the G&L Store. I bought my Legacy used and it didn't have any of the allen wrenches, so I just e-mailed the G&L Store using the link on their web-site asking if they would sell me a set or if they could at least tell me the wrench sizes so I could hunt them down myself. The guy replied asking for my address and sent me out a set gratis! I was very impressed by that. I know it didn't cost them much to do that, but I had bought the instrument used, so they had no obligation to me in anyway. Kind of made them customer service giants in my eyes! It's certainly worth a shot in your case.

Edit: I should have read your post all the way...didn't realize they do sell these in the store. The allen wrenches are not listed, which is why I e-mailed them. In this case, if you bought it used, you probably need to just order them. And if it's new, your dealer should get it for you!

Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:31 pm

Thanks guys. Yes, I bought the guitar new from a dealer. No there is no screw in there, and no I didn't receive any extra screws in the case. I did get a small ziploc with various allen wrenches in it, so it sounds like all I need is the screw itself. Headed back to my local store...

Thanks again!

dave

Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:42 pm

choppydave wrote:Thanks guys. Yes, I bought the guitar new from a dealer. No there is no screw in there, and no I didn't receive any extra screws in the case. I did get a small ziploc with various allen wrenches in it, so it sounds like all I need is the screw itself. Headed back to my local store...

Thanks again!

dave

Hi Dave,

Make sure you get the nylon bushing, too. It goes between the trem bar and the allen screw. If you have trouble getting the
parts from the dealer, let me know via email or pm. I'll make sure you get them.

Wed May 05, 2010 6:39 am

I contacted my dealer (Maple Street Guitars in ATL) and everything is good. They found that of the various G&L's they had, none of them had the set screw. So they called G&L and G&L is shipping a package of parts to them to rectify. Thanks all!

Wed May 12, 2010 10:52 am

Anyone else looking for the bushings or screws? You can buy 'em direct from G&L's website.

I also highly recommend going to the hardware store and getting one of those LONG allen wrenches with the t-shaped, plastic-dipped handle. Much much harder to lose, and won't disappear in a black-velvet guitar case pocket.

Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:54 pm

What size is the wrench? I bought a new Legacy Tribute series and none of the wrenches that came in the little packet fit the allen head screw. I think this one is metric and I haven't found that size among the many that I have.

Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:54 pm

dbaird wrote:What size is the wrench? I bought a new Legacy Tribute series and none of the wrenches that came in the little packet fit the allen head screw. I think this one is metric and I haven't found that size among the many that I have.

You need a 2mm allen wrench.

See our chart in the G&L Knowledgebase sub-forum General G&L Questions: Can you tell me which allen wrenches I need for my G&L?.

Hope this helps.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:27 pm

Thanks, I actually dug a bit deeper and found a stray one in the bottom of my tool box that works. Now the bar doesn't come out in my hand. 8-)