brand new Butterscotch ASAT Classic

Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:05 am

I am in G&L heaven today, having just bought a brand new butterscotch ash-bodied ASAT Classic yesterday at Midlothian Music. Nearly every other G&L I have ever owned I bought used, sight-unseen. I have loved some of them, but have never played one like this before. I had never wanted to pay the premium for a new instrument, but oh man, was it worth it. This dealer hand picks the intruments from G&L and this ASAT just has such a pro feel to it. Gorgeous ash body, about 7.5 pounds, perfect set-up and all three positions are just sounds from on high. I know some of you love the three-bolters, but I have to say G&L is producing some over-the-top wonderful instruments these days.....

Re: brand new Butterscotch ASAT Classic

Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:37 am

The main reason that I have preferred 3-bolt G&L's, is that the necks feel more comfortable to me. I just can't adapt to stout necks very well. However, it is my understanding that the new G&L's have necks that are more like those of old, at least such shapes are available for order. I'm sure that it's a great guitar. I like my ASAT Classic SH (4-bolt) very much. The neck is a little more stout than what my optimal is, but not so much that it presents any great difficulty. The fit and finish are outstanding. I know that G&L has always been very committed to quality, so your reaction is not surprising. Congratulations. Enjoy.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:08 am

johnnyqb wrote:I am in G&L heaven today, having just bought a brand new butterscotch ash-bodied ASAT Classic yesterday at Midlothian Music. Nearly every other G&L I have ever owned I bought used, sight-unseen. I have loved some of them, but have never played one like this before. I had never wanted to pay the premium for a new instrument, but oh man, was it worth it. This dealer hand picks the intruments from G&L and this ASAT just has such a pro feel to it. Gorgeous ash body, about 7.5 pounds, perfect set-up and all three positions are just sounds from on high. I know some of you love the three-bolters, but I have to say G&L is producing some over-the-top wonderful instruments these days.....

Johnnyqb, talk about a small world! And welcome to the G&LDP! You'll probably remember me by my 8502 collection. But, let's see some pics of that guitar! As it's often times been said here, "no pics, it don't exist!"

Thu May 13, 2010 4:02 pm

Thu May 13, 2010 5:18 pm

Very nice John! Congrats on the new blonde.
Nice to see you here.

Thu May 13, 2010 5:42 pm

Hey Johnny,

congrats on the ASAT...i bought an ASAT Deluxe at Midlothian Music in Orland Park, IL about a year and a half ago...nicest guitar I've ever owned or played....congrats man....

what amp you playing it through? I have a 5w tube amp I use that I got at Midlothian, too...but I'd love to get a Peavey classic 30 or Delta Blues in the future...I know John at Midlothian doesn't carry peavey....since you've been in there recently,what do you think?

fitz

Thu May 13, 2010 7:29 pm

Hey Johnny,

Congrats!! An absolute beauty! The ASAT Classic in Butterscotch and GTN is in my book still the template for such a type of guitar. Seeing yours, I feel inspired again. Now I have to go downstairs and play mine ...

Thu May 13, 2010 7:51 pm

I also bought the Legacy in my profile pic on that visit to Midlothian, because it was so sweet I just could not resist it. John said that they only pick two-tone burst G&Ls that have ash bodies, because he likes the way they look more than the two-tone burst on alder. That is the kind of attention to detail you get from a good dealer. Currently I have two Fender amps: a '59 Bassman Ltd. and a '96 Prosonic. The ASAT sounds better through the Bassman, and the Legacy sounds amazing through both of them. I am already toying with the idea of putting some alnico pickups in the ASAT, but perhaps I will give it more time. The ASAT is a gorgeous guitar, that truly does have a "custom shop" feel to it. So does the Legacy, for that matter. This is the first time I bought from a dealer, and I highly recommend it, even paying the premium over buying a used one.

Fri May 14, 2010 6:18 am

Beautiful ASAT...gotta love that Butterscoth finish!!

Sat May 15, 2010 7:46 am

Beautiful! That is my favorite finish for an ASAT Classic!

I would like to get one with G&L's big "V" neck.

Sat May 15, 2010 3:52 pm

Congrats,she's purrdy.

I've always loved that blonde finish on the classic.I just wish it came in a flatter radius.

Sun May 16, 2010 5:56 pm

Congrats! I just ordered a custom butterscotch from the same company but saw them at the texas guitar show in St. Charles, IL.
Here's what I ordered:

Butterscotch Classic Blues Boy Semi-hollow with no "F" holes.
Seth Lover Humbucker
Gun-oil finish birdseye maple # 3 neck with medium Jumbo frets
single ply pickguard.
Locking tuners

I'll get it in about 8 weeks.

This will be my third ASAT along with my Broadcaster and Tobacco burst special. This will be the longest 8 weeks...

Mon May 24, 2010 12:11 pm

If anyone wants to make me an offer on this beauty, it is listed in the marketplace. I am hoping to buy a certain stratocaster and need to convert this ASAT to make the way. Truly a stellar guitar, if I end up keeping it, that is fine too. But if you want to send an offer, please do so! thanks