View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Pickups vs Tone caps and Strings? 

Post Pickups vs Tone caps and Strings?
Aloha,

First time poster here... I've considered swapping out pickups on my mid-90's George Fullerton model for years now, as it just seems like something seemed to be missing or not quite right about the tone/tones I could get out of it. Lately, as I've spent considerable time researching different pickups, I've also come across quite a few articles on tone capacitors and strings. I decided to try swapping out my factory tone cap first and try a different brand of strings or two before laying down a much larger chunk of cash for pickups that may or may not get me where I want to go. I wanted to share my results and see if others wanted to share their experiences as well...

I ended up replacing the factory tone cap with a vitamin Q .047 and tried a set of DR Pure Blues strings in 9 gauge.

There may be a subtle difference in flavor with the new tone cap. What is not subtle is that whereas the tone knob used to basically function as an on/off switch that became totally muddy by 8, the tone control is now totally usable down to 3-4 and gives the ability to dial in very subtle changes in tone.

I am very pleased with the DR's and have A/B'd them against my old favorite Erine Ball Classic Rock set. The DR's have a nice rounded bottom end, but the most pleasing to my ear's is the smooth higher strings that sound full but not harsh or tinny.

For my needs, I'm totally satisfied at this point and don't see what there would be to gain by changing out the stock pickups. YMMV... ;)

Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:58 pm

Post Re: Pickups vs Tone caps and Strings?
the dr pure blues are the most inconsistent strings on the market, you will find so many bad strings (at least one in most sets) you'll go scrambling for a better string. their tone is good for sure though. try curt mangan pure nickels for a better sounding and infinitely more consistent string.

Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:38 pm

Interesting you should say that. The first set of DR's I put on sounded fine, but the intonation was off on every string. I thought it a bit strange since they were essentially the same gauge as the Ernie Balls, but just chalked it up to different manufacturer's. I tried both brands of strings again after going thru the guitar and making adjustments to bring it to factory specifications. Intonation was the same after that with both brands.

I appreciate the tip on the strings. I will look for those. I have also come across recommendations for Thomastik-Infeld Sliders and Pyramid nickel Strings.

Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:37 pm

ClassicRkr wrote:
Interesting you should say that. The first set of DR's I put on sounded fine, but the intonation was off on every string. I thought it a bit strange since they were essentially the same gauge as the Ernie Balls, but just chalked it up to different manufacturer's. I tried both brands of strings again after going thru the guitar and making adjustments to bring it to factory specifications. Intonation was the same after that with both brands.

I appreciate the tip on the strings. I will look for those. I have also come across recommendations for Thomastik-Infeld Sliders and Pyramid nickel Strings.

i actually use thomastiks now, but they are much more costly. also a little different sound. the mangans are closer the the pure blues in tone and in price. but if you can afford the thomatiks, by all means go for it.

Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]