Pickup swaps in an ASAT classic

Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:24 pm

Has anyone swapped out the stock pickups in an ASAT Classic for something else? If so what?

I'm getting another one soon and rather than have two guitars that sound very similar I'm thinking I'll swap the pickups for ones with a lower output, a more vintage feel, like the Seymour Duncan Alnico 2.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Pickup swaps in an ASAT classic

Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:46 pm

Well, I actually like Fender's Alnico III pickups, either the Custom Shop Nocasters or the Original Vintage (OV) variety. I especially like the Nocaster for the bridge pup while I'm fine with either neck pup. Plus, they're fairly inexpensive in comparison to boutique pickups or even Duncans. I will say, though, any Alnico pickup will sound much different from the MFDs. If you're looking for a classic Tele sound, I really don't think you can beat the Nocasters or OVs. I've tried Don Mares, Lollars, Fralins, etc., and I really believe that the Fender pickups are right in the same leaque as most of them.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:08 am

Hi Jim,
I've recently come across Don Mares pickups on the interweb. I'm really keen to get a set of his DonOcasters, the AlNiCo 3 ones. They sound like what I'm after. I'll have to read up on the Fender ones you mentioned.

This may be a silly question, but is it a straight swap in the ASAT Classic? I mean, does the standard 'Fender' type baseplate fit into the cavity at the bridge?

Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:57 pm

I swapped in a Tex Mex on my Classic S ( with a SD SSL 1 in the middle).

I like that tone a little better. Vintage tone with teeth added. While I was add it & put in a concentric pot to get Strat type (0.022 cap) tone control. Im not done playin yet. My next mod will likely to Jimmie Vaughan wiring & Im thinkin 0.05 cap on the neck & 0.022 on the bridge.

Craig

Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:00 am

blargfromouterspace wrote:This may be a silly question, but is it a straight swap in the ASAT Classic? I mean, does the standard 'Fender' type baseplate fit into the cavity at the bridge?

Thats a straight swap.

C

Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:18 pm

Hey blargfromouterspace. I've been wanting an ASAT bridge pickup in my homebrew tele. If you are interested in letting the bridge go, let me know! I have a a Fender Baja Telecaster "vintage broadcaster bridge" for trade if you're interested.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:51 pm

mhat wrote:Hey blargfromouterspace. I've been wanting an ASAT bridge pickup in my homebrew tele. If you are interested in letting the bridge go, let me know! I have a a Fender Baja Telecaster "vintage broadcaster bridge" for trade if you're interested.

Hey Guys,

I would prefer you not post these type of posts here on the G&LDP. We do have a Marketplace on the GbL or you can pm or email each other on stuff like this. Please review our G&LDP Guidelines.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:47 am

blargfromouterspace wrote:Hi Jim,
I've recently come across Don Mares pickups on the interweb. I'm really keen to get a set of his DonOcasters, the AlNiCo 3 ones. They sound like what I'm after. I'll have to read up on the Fender ones you mentioned.

This may be a silly question, but is it a straight swap in the ASAT Classic? I mean, does the standard 'Fender' type baseplate fit into the cavity at the bridge?

Sorry I haven't replied here sooner, but as Knotty said, it is indeed a straight swap. Regarding the DonOcasters, they're probably some very nice pickups, but if in the event you're not familiar with the output levels between the DonOcasters and the MFDs, you'll find that Don's pickups will have a much lesser output. I actually prefer the lower output for their tonal qualities, and I depend on my amp to do its thing for overdrive applications. But, since many prefer their guitars to be "hotter" than standard single-coils, I thought I'd point this out. If you purchase the DonOcasters, be sure to let us know how you like them. I've been thinking about purchasing a set of those for quite some time now.