ASAT Classic owners, how often do you use your tone control?

Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:49 am

I found I never used it on my Bluesboy, so I made the tone control into a bass-contour control, like on the Legacy and S-500. Wow, I love it. That fat, warm bridge pickup becomes more twangy in a good way, and the neck pickup -- which isn't wooly to begin with -- just has more sparkle with the bass pot barely rolled off, and I keep getting good tones almost all the way down.

I'm tempted to keep my bass pot on 0, like you would a treble pot, and roll it clockwise like a treble pot to get a more bass-y sound. I guess the my only hesitation is a silly one -- that "It's just not done that way. You're supposed to "roll off treble," not "add bass back in."

But that's why I ask if you guys use your tone pot much. Maybe it's time for a new paradigm.

Re: ASAT Classic owners, how often do you use your tone cont

Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:22 am

I have almost no experience with a bass-contour control, having only played a Legacy in-store briefly. I do find the conventional tone control on my ASAT Classic indispensable.

I always EQ my amp with the neck pickup, then when I use the bridge pickup I roll the tone off a bit--otherwise it's too bright. If I do it the other way around, the neck pickup is too muddy and there is no way to compensate for it.

Re: ASAT Classic owners, how often do you use your tone cont

Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:24 am

Ahhh, that makes sense. My amp is a little Champ clone, and too bright isn't the issue with it.