Dual Fulcrum Vibrato Setup Question

Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:24 pm

The setup instructions show that the bridge plate on these should be parallel to the body at a distance of 3/16". On my newly acquired '92 S-500, if I make the bridge plate parallel to the body it sits much closer, less than 1/8". Is it OK to adjust the fulcrum screws (back them out 1/16 or so) to allow the bridge to level at 3/16? Do these screws just screw into the wood, or is there an insert?

Re: Dual Fulcrum Vibrato Setup Question

Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:58 am

if it is anything like a floating floyd Parallel is the important part of the equation.

Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:46 am

My only guitar with a dual fulcrum is my 1990 SC-3 that I got late last year, so my experience with the trem is marginal. The following picture is a close up of the trem taken after I got the guitar and was in the process of setting it up. The distance of the plate from the body is the thickness of 2 popsicle sticks, which has to be exactly 3/8" right, LOL :crazy: It is close enough. Seeing that the 2 hex bolts are the only things attaching the trem to the body I would think that that is what you adjust to set the height. You may need to adjust the spring tension to get it to level after you string it up with your choice of strings.

I also found this thread that has a section discussing how to set up the trem:

http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1596

Kit

Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:27 am

Thanks guys. All the instructions I've read so far only speak to setting the spring tension to get the bridge parallel at the magical 3/16" dimension, but none talk about how to set the height at the fulcrum which is what establishes how high "parallel" will be. I did find one tangential comment about adjusting the fulcrum screws, but it was hardly definitive. I "screwed around" with those screws a little last night, seems like it is OK to do so. Still, I'd love a more expert opinion on this.

Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:14 am

Zombifying this thread to see if anyone can answer the question in the post immediately above: what is the stock/"correct" height for the two bridge bolts (and from which surface to which surface would one measure it)?

Thanks!

Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:04 am

Lacking Talent wrote:Zombifying this thread to see if anyone can answer the question in the post immediately above: what is the stock/"correct" height for the two bridge bolts (and from which surface to which surface would one measure it)?

Thanks!

I don't think there is a totally correct answer ..... I only have two in my bunch that aren't DF's ..... when I adjust for string heigth the DF ends up where it ends up , some DF's are low and some are high with the string set at my prefered distance , my SC 2 is know where near my Cavalier and my Legacy is low compared to my S 500 even though string hieght is the same on all .... I don't know what gives either and never looked into it any further , ... it could be neck pocket , neck thickness ,fret wire , string saddles and nut will all have some kind of effect

Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:31 am

This answer is self defining. The clearance from the DF to the body is 3/16, parallel to the body which indicates the 2 DF screws should be adjusted the same from the body to the fulcrum groove. If this measurement is correct and the some of the saddles are bottomed out, a shim in the neck pocket will allow lower action. I think it would work great with a 1/8 clearance, especially on newer models, for most people but you wouldn't be able the raise the pitch as much. Probably wouldn't affect the down movement.-- Darwin

Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:51 pm

when my Birdseye neck twisted on my 2000 Comanche I found/bought a 2007 reverse head stock Legacy neck off of ebay ...... after i picked up my neckless Comanche guitar from my Dealer I installed my ebay neck and the strings were laying on the fret board , I had to raise the DF up a bunch from the previous neck ...... I can't compare the necks because the Comanche neck is off to G&L for a Factory replacement neck , but the 2007 Legacy neck must be thicker in the neck pocket area to have the strings laying on the fret board after the switch .... maybe Craig will know if there is a difference ??

Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:49 pm

I guess we'll see!