Guitar suggestions

Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:28 pm

Hi All,

I've been a bassist for 33 years. I've decided it's time to get a guitar for recording (I have borrowed in the past), and have been looking into various G&L tribute offerings. I owned a L2000 tribute and upgraded to a US only because I wanted a different neck profile. I love the build quality.

TLDR: suggest a guitar for me: Legacy Tribute, Legacy Tribute HB, Fallout, or something else for indie rock/post-rock/post-metal with lots of effects and moving between clean and overdriven.

Long version with sound examples:

I'm looking for something versatile, not to build a collection. I played a Legacy Tribute the other day and really liked it and am wondering if I should get the regular or the HB version (since so much of the music I like uses humbuckers) . But I am also a fan of a lot of indie rock bands that use Jazzmasters. I am reluctant to buy one because it is less versatile with no humbucker, and I gather the tremolo knocks stuff out of tune if you use it much. So I am wondering about something like a Fallout, though I haven't found one in a store (US or Tribute) and would want to add a tremolo (would that even work?).

I will use lots of alternate tunings, play melodic parts as well as chords, and move between clean, heavily effected and heavily overdriven sounds. I don't plan to play out as a guitarist but you never know what the future holds.
Here are some guitar sounds I like for reference :

http://thelifeandtimes.bandcamp.com/track/day-nine (3:15 in gives you a good sense)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0PYwPMnUCM&feature=kp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS3NkhjsBf0 (totally unhelpful since one guitarist plays a tele and another plays a Les Paul)
http://kerretta.bandcamp.com/track/dinshah (2:30 in -- both clean and dirty sounds)
https://soundcloud.com/constellation-records/mladic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h69I-231X8I (again two guitars, one with humbuckers, one single coil)

I also love old My Bloody Valentine, Cure, Hum, New Order, Robert Fripp, Adrian Belew, Sonic Youth, Bauhaus/Tones on Tail/Love & Rockets, 1970s Pink Floyd and Prince. Oh, and I love old surf records.

That should confuse it just enough.

Help? TIA!

--JES

Re: Guitar suggestions

Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:10 pm

I would get an s-500. It will still do cleans well but has some more oomph and with the three pups and 'expander' switch it is, imho, the most versatile G&L

it also can sound like a lot of other guitars while also being able to sound like nothing else.

Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:12 am

I think you're best bet is to get something like an ASAT Classic, something that will get you one or two 'classic' sounds really well. IMO, guitars built with versatility as the most important thing are seldom any good. Splitting a humbucker to a single-coil is the perfect example of this, they NEVER sound any good.

If you want to use lots of alternate tunings I'd suggest something with a fixed bridge, a trem will need to be tweaked for each different tuning and will drive you crazy.

Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:37 am

I have a few G&L's and lately have been playing my Tribute S-500 the most for some reason. I find my G&L;s with the Dual-Fulcrum whammy to be the easiest to play for some reason. It is a very versatile guitar as well. But the video below has had me thinking for quite some time I need a Fallout. No one has one near me to play so I have just have not taken the plunge yet. . Wonder if I could order one with a Dual-Fulcrum?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjM4C6njY38

Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:58 am

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the replies so far. I hadn't considered the s-500 and will try one out. I also hadn't considered the bridge issue with alternate tunings! That also changes things a bit.

On the coil tap, I'd love to hear from someone who uses one. On bass, I have had the opposite experience. The coil tap on the L2000 sounds great and for years I played an old Ibanez bass where the tapped single coils sounded awesome and the humbucking sounds were kind of lifeless.

Please keep the replies coming.

Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:29 am

If you are looking for a trem and sticking with a Tribute line model, I'd suggest a Commanche or S-500. I really like the ASAT Special With large soapbar MFDs, but trem would be available on US made only. Some describe the soapbar MFDs as being similar to Jazzmaster pickups. So you may want to check them out. The SC-2 also has the large MFDs and is available with trem. The Fallot is hardtail only. The LE-2 is built on the Fallout platform but with MFD humbucker in the bridge and soapbar MFD in the neck. It is available with trem, but is limitted edition, with only 25 being built about half already sold.

So in summary if looking at Tributes only:

If must have trem then Commanche or S-500
If okay with hardtail, then ASAT Special or Fallout

Dan

Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:28 pm

Thanks Winsock. After reading up, I guess it really is trem or alternate tunings, and I'll go for the alternate tunings at least for now. Way more variety that way. I am in your all of your debt for saving me from newbie stupidity.

So now we're back to the Fallout. I don't see many used, so I'm thinking I will buy new. I notice Full Compass has a Tribute Fallout with a swamp ash body for $50 more than the usual Fallouts. It's orange but that would be kind of cool in its own way.

So, do people with swamp ash is worth an extra $50 over mahogany?

Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:34 pm

they use swamp ash with the "clear Orange" finish because the grain looks nicer , it don't matter on solid colors .... if it's worth a extra 50.00 is up to you

Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:52 pm

Sorry, I should clarify: will I notice any tonal difference with swamp ash, or is the guitar likely to be noticeably lighter in weight? Lighter weight would certainly be worth $50, not that the Fallout is particularly heavy. As for sound, it depends on what it does to the sound. . . .

Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:02 pm

JES wrote:Sorry, I should clarify: will I notice any tonal difference with swamp ash, or is the guitar likely to be noticeably lighter in weight? Lighter weight would certainly be worth $50, not that the Fallout is particularly heavy. As for sound, it depends on what it does to the sound. . . .

I don't think I could tell a difference in sound , G&L used it for visual reasons

Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:07 am

JES, you should take the time to listen to the audio and video clips here on the forum and also some of the clips on the G&L website. Nick Jaffe has some pretty good demos. The ASAT Special in mahogany sounds great and is also a hardtail. That clear orange Fallout is killer looking too! Good luck!

Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:59 pm

JES wrote:So, do people with swamp ash is worth an extra $50 over mahogany?

Hell no! I think the mahogany body would be better with the bridge humbucker.

Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:07 pm

Interesting, I had not realized the Tribute Fallout comes in mahogany.

Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:20 pm

There is an ASAT Tribute in Mahogany jr or deluxe.

Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:34 pm

Hi Everyone,

So the saga continues.

Okay, so I ordered two tributes from Musicians' Friend, finding none in stock at the local music stores. The ASAT deluxe carved top and the Fallout. I thought I would like the ASAT better, but the Fallout just sounds a-mayzing. But I have some questions. This is the first brand new instrument I've bought since the 1980s and the first I've ever bought by mail order.

1. It's got this annoying crackling. Is this some kind of easy to fix problem or a pickup issue?
2. I had some switching issues at first, like to coil tap not behaving. After flipping the pickup selector and the coil tap switch it seems fine now. Should I be worried?
3. It seems that the neck is a little heavier than the body. Anyone else notice that on their Fallouts?
4. The P90 has these two screws sticking up--one seems like it could be tightened a bit. Will that be an issue for the pickup?

I'm posting a clip for you to hear the crackling. As a bonus, I am switching among the various pickup settings. Going through an amp sim and a ton of reverb in Live. Apologies for my crap playing.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2009747/Fallout.mp3

Let me know whether I need to exchange it or if it's an easy fix. I know it's a mass production instrument, but it's also brand new so I don't want any trouble. I am generally impressed with the feel of the guitar over the MIM Fenders, though. I haven't even taken the plastic off the pickups or anything (in case I wanted to return it and keep the ASAT, but I think the Fallout is just my kind of rock guitar).

Thanks.

--JES

Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:30 am

1. I had a similar problem with a bad input jack. It may have just been a bad solder joint but I just replaced it because it was a cheap import jack but...
2. Don't think I'd be worried but would speak to G&L support. Seems like this could be relate to issue 1.
3. The body on the Fallout is pretty light IMO but it balances well for me. If I rest the guitar on my hand it seems to balance out under the neck pickup.
4. Mine has 2 screws I presume are for mounting the pickup that are flush with the pickup cover but the heads are thicker so they do stick up a little.

I owned a ASAT Deluxe for a little while but returned it because of an slight issue. Then bought the Fallout. For me the Fallout works better and for the music I play it's more versatile. This is for the USA models but I'm sure the Tributes are very similar.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:38 am

1-2: Yes, I'd just return it, get money back and order it from somewhere else. This is not a 1962 original rickenbacker or sth..

3. I think this is personal opinion. I find the fallout feels too small and this can make it seem head-stock heavy but a lot of people like the small body.

4. afaik this is normal for a p-90 style pickup.

Getting it from a better retailer would help ensure that it leaves their store in decent shape at least. I don't know if MF even opens boxes prior to shipping.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:17 pm

Hi Everyone,

Well the saga turned out to have a simpler ending. I called Musicians' Friend and talked with them. They gave me several options, and also told me I could return the guitar even if I took the plastic off the pick guard and pickups and even after having a luthier look it over to make sure there was nothing wrote. I removed the plastic and the static is completely gone. Everything is behaving. I will still take it to a luthier for a checkup, but the thing now sounds and plays perfectly. MF even gave me a little bit off for the inconvenience. I am not normally a fan of online retailers--I much prefer to support the local economy wherever I am--but none of the local G&L dealers had the models I wanted in stock and none would order them for me to try out or let me try them out with my recording rig to see which sounds I liked better. So in this case, MF was one of a very few options.

The guitar is really super well put together. Everything feels tight and right, intonation is good right out of the box, the neck and frets feel really good, everything that involves workmanship is good, it's lightweight (6.5#) and it sounds amazing. I thought I would prefer the ASAT but this one just spoke to me.

So I can unconditionally recommend the Tribute series as a budget alternative to the USA models (if I ever get good enough maybe I'll spring for one in a custom colour). I was similarly impressed with my tribute l2000 bass, but wound up getting a USA one for more tonal options and a different neck profile. And I had a good customer experience with MF, which is not always the case.

Thanks in part to all of you, I now have a guitar I really like!

One last question: I removed all the plastic, but there's this band around the bridge humbucker. Is that supposed to stay on or come off? Seems like it could, but maybe is serves some kind of function? Like I said, I'm not used to buying brand new stringed instruments.

Thanks again!

--JES

PS -- It's the sonic blue and maple fretboard--I think I prefer the maple on guitars.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:21 pm

I suspect that your issue with the crackling is static. Check your environment's relative humidity with a hygrometer, you'll want to keep it between 45-55%.

I would try wiping the instrument down with a slightly damp soft cloth and then wiping it dry. Some folks have had success with using a dryer sheet like Bounce. It can be used to wipe down the guitar, or placed under the pickguard.

Bill

Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:24 pm

Well...I got it right, just 5 minutes late. LOL!!!

The band around the pickup...I think you're referring to the protective tape around the coils...? Just leave it alone; you could damage the pickup if you're not careful. There's no need to mess with it.

Bill

Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:46 pm

Thanks Bill!

Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:04 pm

Glad it's worked out for you. Can't go wrong with sonic blue and maple.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:31 pm

The static is caused by the pickguard. Remove it and see if it has aluminum foil on the back. If it doesn't , use HVAC sticky foil on the back and it will be fixed.-- Darwin

Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:06 pm

I appreciated your suggestion about the HVAC aluminum tape, darwinohm.
I was just tuning up a new tribute legacy last night, and noticed the significant pickguard static problem as well.
I removed the pickguard and explored the grounds and everybody looks ok under there.
So, how extensive does the tape job have to be, to be effective?
Cover all plastic pickguard surfaces/workaround pickups and electronics, or remove pickups/electronics 1st, apply the tape to the entire pickguard, then reinstall the pup's and elex's ? - that's a bit of work! John O

Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:57 pm

I just looked at my American Fallout and the pickguard looks very easy to remove and the P90 appears to be body mounted. You just need to put tape to within 1/16 of an inch of the edges. It has been some time but here is an S-500 that I did a couple of years ago. You do not have to ground anything and this will shield the cavity from pickguard static.
Here are some photos of the S-500. I just noticed that you have a Legacy. No need to remove the pickups. It is much easier to do if you remove the strings. It would be like doing this S-500. I just put pieces of tape on and trim it with a razor blade or exacto knife.

Before

After

Hope this helps. -- Darwin

Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:13 pm

got it, many thanks for the direction! John O

Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:18 pm

hah, I was telling my wife about this little dilemma, and she goes into the basement and produces a roll of the proper aluminum tape!! cheers, john o

Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:40 am

Our wives are always prepared. We should listen to them more! -- Darwin