SC-2 review after several days playing...

Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:23 am

Well, I have had the SC-2 for about 5 days now. Here are my thoughts...
Overall? A killer guitar. Really a fantastic bargain.
Pros? Great Tele meets Les Paul Junior tone. Very versatile when you learn the tone control. Great neck, Great playability. Great body shape as far as ergonomics go.
Cons? the knobs could be taller with a heavier knurl. A couple of the pole pieces seem to have the hex mostly stripped (and I don't think they were ever adjusted by any previous owner). I got them adjusted satisfactorily anyways. It COULD use some sort of pickguard just for cosmetics....
Overall? My current favorite guitar. Highly recommended!

Re: SC-2 review after several days playing...

Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:41 am

Schaller do some very nice knobs.
Someone on here had an SC-2 with a custom pick guard not long ago. I have to say I agree with you that for cosmetics it could use one.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:00 pm

Yes, I think a pickguard looks great on an SC-1/SC-2.
When I had the humbuckers installed on my SC-1, I told the luthier to design a pickguard. I think he did a great job. Perhaps Toneguard could produce custom black crinkle pickguards for SC-1 and SC-2.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:13 pm

Jim. Glad you like it. Do you have a reissue or an original one? Thanks - ed

Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:01 am

It is a 2009 "re-issue".
The new ones are not really re-issues since they are different in several aspects such as controls, body contours and headstock.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:28 pm

Last Monday I had Michael Slotbloom at Armadillo Guitar Works make me a pair of knobs to my specs.
.875 tall, .75 diameter with medium knurl.
It was a fantastic change. The knobs are around .375 taller than the stock knobs. Much nicer to adjust on the fly.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:38 am

Me too. It is currently my favorite guitar also. Have Legacy and Asat Special, PRS's etc. I have tremolo version that I like to invoke on occasion. Plenty of character in the tone department. This guitar is gold. I did do a bit of setup work to get it to my liking. There were some chatter marks on the frets I guess from the machine they use to set it up and I added some Sperzels, which it probably did not need. If for no other reason to buy one, the girls like the Bel Air green.

Wed May 05, 2010 1:30 pm

Here's an example of a SC-1 with custom aftermarket pickguard:

My SC-2 is one of the best guitars I've ever owned. It's got a maple neck and hardtail bridge--two things you can't get on the reissue for whatever reason.

Wed May 05, 2010 1:48 pm

Submersible wrote:Here's an example of a SC-1 with custom aftermarket pickguard:

My SC-2 is one of the best guitars I've ever owned. It's got a maple neck and hardtail bridge--two things you can't get on the reissue for whatever reason.

You cannot get the maple neck but you can get the hard-tail on the new SC-2.

Wed May 05, 2010 1:49 pm

Submersible wrote:My SC-2 is one of the best guitars I've ever owned. It's got a maple neck and hardtail bridge--two things you can't get on the reissue for whatever reason.

Actually, the Saddle-Lock bridge is the standard bridge, with the Dual Fulcrum bridge as an option.
I really like my SC-2 (Belair Green, with Saddle-Lock bridge).

Hope this helps.

Wed May 05, 2010 1:59 pm

I stand corrected. Good news.

Fri May 07, 2010 4:18 pm

I love my 84-SC2. Haven't tried the new ones yet. Pickguard?! Not for this gem!