G&L Tremolo bar

Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:36 am

I just thought of another question for folks here, this time in regards to the tremolo arm. For the most part, I really like the dual fulcrum bridge on my Legacy and the tremolo arm has a great feel to it. My only problem is that the arm doesn't bend that far away from the body. By the time I wrap my fingers around it, they are so close to the body I can't really depress it very far. So if I want to depress it for more than just a light vibrato, I have to push it open handed (as opposed to grabbing it).

Is this typical of the G&L tremolo arm? If I'd buy a new one, would it be any different? I recently got a PRS SE, and the tremolo bar on that guitar bends up pretty far and is really easy to use (my complaint with that one is it's too skinny, but it works).

I was also wondering how easily it could be bent...or would it break before it bends?

Re: G&L Tremolo bar

Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:33 am

Mine is the same but it works for me. In fact every Fender I've had was waaay too far off the body so I wind up bending them down.
I would think you could gently bend the Legacy bar up a little. The trick with a slip in bar is not to put any bend at all in the
portion that goes into the bridge.
Best method I've found is to drill a hole the exact size or very slightly larger than the bar in a piece of hardwood, then
Insert the bar into the block, you can bend whatever direction you want and the bend will only occur at the crook.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:11 am

I had the same problem on my SC-2.
Wrap a cloth around the bridge end and put it in a vise.
Bend it up a little and try it. Keep bending it up by small amounts until it is just right.
Trem bars of all brands frequently need this type of adjustment since the trem bar height is a
personal preference.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:36 pm

Thanks for the great suggestions...good to know it should bend at least a little without breaking. I was considering the vise method as Jim suggests, but I'd have to go to a friends place to use one, so Jazzrat's wood block might be just the ticket. I was actually thinking of bending it along the arm section where it angles up a bit, but it might be a good idea to do a little there and a little at the crook.

Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:42 am

I finally got around to doing this over the weekend. Used Jazzrat's trick with a wood block. At first I wasn't sure it was bending, but when I put it back in the guitar, it was perfect!

So thanks for the tip...now there's absolutely nothing about that guitar I don't love!

Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:04 am

Good deal Muleya! I've found the wood block to be the safest. I've used the vise method too but a couple times i wound up with a flat spot or a burr that made the
bar not fit the socket. The block had been fool proof for me.

Wed May 12, 2010 11:58 am

I'm on the opposite end - The first thing I did when I got my G&L was shorten the bar and flatten it - used wooden blocks in a vise, and ground the "new" tip back to round.

Myself, I like the Waters/Beck way of being able to hold the bar when I pick. If I need a deep dive, it's easy to use the "heel" of my palm without releasing the pick.

Funny thing - the other day I cut a guitar solo for a friend, song was kind of a hybrid of classic rock & punk, and the solo I did ended (as the last chorus roared in) by hitting a D-major chord of harmonics at the 7th fret, and diving the trem all the way to the deck, slack strings & all.

After about 5 takes, trying different things, I thought "Sheesh, I haven't tuned between takes". The dang thing was still in perfect tune. and I don't have locking tuners and still have the original plastic nut on there. Impressive, Leo. You the man.

Here's a link to the solo - killer guitar!

Wed May 12, 2010 3:27 pm

Wow, mine doesn't hold tune that well...even with locking tuners and Big Bends Nut Sauce! Though it does pretty good for everything BUT divebombs.

BTW, that's a beautiful finish on that legacy!!

And there's something wrong with the clip...it plays the first few seconds, then jumps to the end.

Wed May 12, 2010 3:56 pm

I'm pretty amazed by how seldom I tune it - but there are some Sperzels in my future.

Had it for months and I still get a rush from how complex the tone is - even through a Classic 30 (OK, it does have JJ's and a 1970's era JBL K series 12 in it now).

Think I'll get an Egnater Tweaker this summer... I have a couple EVM 12L's sitting around here that would be a nice try with that head...