1996 G&L Legacy - Ash or Alder?

Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:29 pm

Greetings G&L comrades : :thumbup:

I acquired a circa 1996 G&L USA Legacy in a Clear Forest Green finish a few years ago and am now curious as to which body wood gives this guitar its beautiful grain look and discernible sound.

Can someone help me identify whether the body is Alder or Swamp Ash?

I've tried doing my own research and maybe figuring it out; however, I'm no wood expert and see examples of similarly clear finishes between the two types of wood where I just can't tell the difference.

The serial number begins CL and here's a couple pics of my Legacy :)

Thanks in advance for any guidance provided :greet:

Re: 1996 G&L Legacy - Ash or Alder?

Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:34 pm

tricksr4kids wrote:Greetings G&L comrades : :thumbup:

I acquired a circa 1996 G&L USA Legacy in a Clear Forest Green finish a few years ago and am now curious as to which body wood gives this guitar its beautiful grain look and discernible sound.

Can someone help me identify whether the body is Alder or Swamp Ash?

I've tried doing my own research and maybe figuring it out; however, I'm no wood expert and see examples of similarly clear finishes between the two types of wood where I just can't tell the difference.

The serial number begins CL and here's a couple pics of my Legacy :)

Thanks in advance for any guidance provided :greet:

It is definitely Swamp Ash. Clear Forest Green is a Premier Finish and the default wood will be Swamp Ash.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Re: 1996 G&L Legacy - Ash or Alder?

Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:22 pm

Thank you much Craig!
I genuinely thought about emailing you directly; having gathered that you are amazingly knowledgeable about G&L guitars. Again, thank you.