NBD: 2012 Special Edition G&L JB--hipshot D-Tuner question

Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:24 pm

Just picked up one of these used: http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/US ... -SC-JB.asp

My first bass, back in 1988, was a G&L L-2000, which I foolishly sold a year or so later. Feels like I'm coming home.

One question I have is that the serial number plate looks like it will interfere with the Hipshot BT-1 detuner I'm planning on installing, which I do on all my instruments. What's everybody's favorite way of dealing with this? I hate to move the plate and leave screw holes behind. To anybody at G&L who might be listening--can you adjust the location of that plate just an inch towards the end of the headstock to avoid this problem?

Thanks, would love to hear what people do to solve this problem.

Tom

Re: NBD: 2012 Special Edition G&L JB--hipshot D-Tuner quest

Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:07 pm

TomDiepenbrock wrote:Just picked up one of these used: http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/US ... -SC-JB.asp

My first bass, back in 1988, was a G&L L-2000, which I foolishly sold a year or so later. Feels like I'm coming home.

One question I have is that the serial number plate looks like it will interfere with the Hipshot BT-1 detuner I'm planning on installing, which I do on all my instruments. What's everybody's favorite way of dealing with this? I hate to move the plate and leave screw holes behind. To anybody at G&L who might be listening--can you adjust the location of that plate just an inch towards the end of the headstock to avoid this problem?

Thanks, would love to hear what people do to solve this problem.

Tom

Welcome, Tom. :wave:

A great looking bass with the Nearly Naked finish! :thumbup:

Regarding your question: G&L did away with the metal serial number plate in September 2016. They went back to the waterslide serial number for
a short period of time and then in February of this year, they went to a laser-etched serial number. See: A recent serial numbering change ... and Serial number significance.
I don't have a photo of a bass headstock, but here's one of a Legacy headstock with the new laser-etched serial number:

When you get a chance, please do add your bass to our G&L Registry.

:ugeek:

Re: NBD: 2012 Special Edition G&L JB--hipshot D-Tuner quest

Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:15 am

Go the Hipshot installed yesterday--it was very easy, all I had to do was pivot the plate about 1/4" so the larger back plate of the Hipshot would fit. No major problem, and best of all no visible screw hole either.

Tom