Gotoh tuners on Tribute?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:14 pm

I just acquired a Tribute Comanche. It has non-locking Gotoh tuners on it. I'm assuming that a previous owner put them on, but were they ever used out of the factory? Thanks.

Re: Gotoh tuners on Tribute?

Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:53 am

Can't answer your question, but now I want to see a pick of the new Tribute Comanche!

Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:28 pm

DanDoulogos wrote:Can't answer your question, but now I want to see a pick of the new Tribute Comanche!

Hi Dan. I'll try to post some pictures, but it's an atypical situation, in that I actually acquired it for another member of this group, so I won't be keeping it. Hopefully I won't get too attached to is. It's very nice, and I'm guessing that the Gotoh tuners were an upgrade, but that's why I was checking. The only thing that I have noticed on it thus far is that the pickups are loose (i.e., they move up and down easily, with the screws too). I'm assuming that the springs just need to be replaced or stretched. It was a very good deal that we couldn't pass up. David

Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:17 am

dhgleaves wrote:I just acquired a Tribute Comanche. It has non-locking Gotoh tuners on it. I'm assuming that a previous owner put them on, but were they ever used out of the factory? Thanks.

No, Gotoh tuners were/are not used on the Tribute Comanche. It is likely a previous owner put them on.

Please do post some photos and add your Tribute Comanche to our G&L Registry.

Hope this helps.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:00 am

dhgleaves wrote:Hi Dan. I'll try to post some pictures, but it's an atypical situation, in that I actually acquired it for another member of this group, so I won't be keeping it. Hopefully I won't get too attached to is. It's very nice, and I'm guessing that the Gotoh tuners were an upgrade, but that's why I was checking. The only thing that I have noticed on it thus far is that the pickups are loose (i.e., they move up and down easily, with the screws too). I'm assuming that the springs just need to be replaced or stretched. It was a very good deal that we couldn't pass up. David

Hi David. If you haven't played a Comanche before, make sure you play the hell out of that thing before you pass it on. Maybe it is because it was the last guitar I purchased, and I am still riding the high - but I've been gigging that guitar exclusively ever since, and it's been many months now. I used to gig primarily with a US Fender Select Tele (Koa), or my US Strat plus or my Heritage 157 - but I haven't used anything else since I picked it up - it is just so versatile, and I absolutely love the tone, and it is so quiet it makes every pedal sound that much better.

If only they made a tribute version of the ASAT Z3! I'd be all over that like starch on sticky-rice.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:26 am

DanDoulogos wrote:
If only they made a tribute version of the ASAT Z3! I'd be all over that like starch on sticky-rice.

Then look for a NOS or used Tribute Will Ray Signature Semi-Hollow model. If the B-Bender is not your thing, it can easily be removed/re-installed.

From the last Tribute Price Lists they were in: 2012-July 31, 2014 Tribute Series Standard Production Models

Will Ray Signature Semi-Hollow
Finishes 3-Tone Sunburst, Pearl pickguard, Rosewood fingerboard
Body wood Swamp Ash with twin voice chambers and f-hole
Neck wood Hard Rock Maple with satin finish
Neck dimensions 1 5⁄8” width at nut, 9” radius
Pickups 3 G&L / Will Ray Hell-Billy Z-coil humbucking pickups
Controls 5-way pickup selector, volume, tone with push/pull Expansion switch enabling
additional pickup combinations of neck + bridge or all 3 pickups together
Bridge G&L Saddle-Lock™ with Hipshot® B-Bender
Included accessories
· Two Will Ray instructional DVDs: B-Bender Mania and Stealth Slide
· One of Will Ray’s trademark slide rings

Hope this helps.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:08 am

Craig wrote:Then look for a NOS or used Tribute Will Ray Signature Semi-Hollow model. If the B-Bender is not your thing, it can easily be removed/re-installed.

From the last Tribute Price Lists they were in: 2012-July 31, 2014 Tribute Series Standard Production Models

Will Ray Signature Semi-Hollow
Finishes 3-Tone Sunburst, Pearl pickguard, Rosewood fingerboard
Body wood Swamp Ash with twin voice chambers and f-hole
Neck wood Hard Rock Maple with satin finish
Neck dimensions 1 5⁄8” width at nut, 9” radius
Pickups 3 G&L / Will Ray Hell-Billy Z-coil humbucking pickups
Controls 5-way pickup selector, volume, tone with push/pull Expansion switch enabling
additional pickup combinations of neck + bridge or all 3 pickups together
Bridge G&L Saddle-Lock™ with Hipshot® B-Bender
Included accessories
· Two Will Ray instructional DVDs: B-Bender Mania and Stealth Slide
· One of Will Ray’s trademark slide rings

Hope this helps.

It would help more if it wasn't so rare

Seriously though - thanks for the info. I didn't know these came in anything other than sparkle finishes. I'll keep my eyes open from now on.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:58 pm

Jake Cinninger [umphrey's mcgee] told my son that his comanche is the loudest quiet guitar you can find.
Or, is it the quietest loud guitar...

Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:14 pm

DanDoulogos wrote:
dhgleaves wrote:Hi Dan. I'll try to post some pictures, but it's an atypical situation, in that I actually acquired it for another member of this group, so I won't be keeping it. Hopefully I won't get too attached to is. It's very nice, and I'm guessing that the Gotoh tuners were an upgrade, but that's why I was checking. The only thing that I have noticed on it thus far is that the pickups are loose (i.e., they move up and down easily, with the screws too). I'm assuming that the springs just need to be replaced or stretched. It was a very good deal that we couldn't pass up. David

Hi David. If you haven't played a Comanche before, make sure you play the hell out of that thing before you pass it on. Maybe it is because it was the last guitar I purchased, and I am still riding the high - but I've been gigging that guitar exclusively ever since, and it's been many months now. I used to gig primarily with a US Fender Select Tele (Koa), or my US Strat plus or my Heritage 157 - but I haven't used anything else since I picked it up - it is just so versatile, and I absolutely love the tone, and it is so quiet it makes every pedal sound that much better.

Thanks, Dan. I do have another Comanche, and I wouldn't be selling this one if I didn't have the other one. I'm definitely impressed with the Tributes that I've had the pleasure to play.