Just Announced:The G&L Custom Creations Savannah Collection

Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:29 pm

Custom Creations 2013 Limited Edition - 250 total Savannah instruments.
Custom Creations 2013 Limited Edition Savannah Collection

:ugeek:
Last edited by Craig on Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed links

Re: Just Announced:The G&L Custom Creations Savannah Collect

Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:25 pm

So that's what they've been up to. That ASAT bass is loverly.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:54 am

These guitars look great.

But look at my 'predicament' starting with this tally of just the new ASAT models released in the last 3 years:
  • 3 in the 30th Anniversary Collection
  • 1 Special Edition for Midlothian
  • 1 Special Edition for Pro Guitar Shop
  • 3 in the 2011 Korina Collection
  • 1 in the 2012 Special Collection aka the NENA Collection
  • 2 in the Black Ice Collection
  • 2 Launch Editions
  • 4 in the 2013 Savannah Collection
That is 17 post-2010 entries on top of the grand total of 20 pre-2010 entries on the List of Special Edition & Non-Production ASAT-style guitars list. And I haven't even counted the walnut and Equatorial Mahogany models released during the same time span. Sure, they are basically all finish and/or body wood variants of regular production models. But boy, can G&L give me at least a fighting chance to collect all different incarnations of an ASAT?
:happy0007:

- Jos

Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:19 pm

I just ordered 10.

I also asked if G&L could make one with an alnico in the bridge and a mini humbucker in the neck. Ya that would be tasty.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:07 pm

Jos, I feel your pain but you can handle it! My ASAT Bass will be here in about 8 weeks.-- Darwin

Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:37 pm

darwinohm wrote:Jos, I feel your pain but you can handle it! My ASAT Bass will be here in about 8 weeks.-- Darwin

Thanks Darwin ;)

Just realized I didn't even include the true new models: the Bluesboy P90, Solamante, and Solamente Alnico. So that makes a nice round 20.

Need bigger house ...

- Jos

Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:02 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:
darwinohm wrote:Jos, I feel your pain but you can handle it! My ASAT Bass will be here in about 8 weeks.-- Darwin

Thanks Darwin ;)

Just realized I didn't even include the true new models: the Bluesboy P90, Solamante, and Solamente Alnico. So that makes a nice round 20.

Need bigger house ...

- Jos

And don't forget: the ASAT Classic Alnico and ASAT Classic 'S' Alnico. Still a round number of 22. ;)

Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:13 pm

Craig wrote:
And don't forget: the ASAT Classic Alnico and ASAT Classic 'S' Alnico. Still a round number of 22. ;)

I had those 2 models included as the 2 Launch Editions, although the same then would be true for the Bluesboy P90 as part of the Savannah Collection. But I wouldn't mind some double counting. Now we can play a soccer match ... ;)

- Jos

Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:42 pm

Finally a gloss neck on a limited run!

Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:13 pm

jeffmarshall67 wrote:Finally a gloss neck on a limited run!

The 2011 Korina series had the light-tint gloss neck finishes too, if you'd prefer a solid body :thumbup:

Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:08 am

That's why I have one! :)

Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:04 am

jeffmarshall67 wrote:Finally a gloss neck on a limited run!

All of the Custom Creations Limited Editions and Special Builds have Gloss finished necks.
Except, perhaps the 2000 Custom Creations Rampage neck, which I don't know what type of neck finish it has.

Of the recent (2010-present) Special Collections, only the Black Ice Collection has Satin finished necks.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:56 pm

How is it decided what to include in a collection? I'm wondering why there are two guitars with tune-o-matics and none with the Saddlelock bridge, which seems like more of an iconic G&L thing.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:56 pm

LiquidSmoke wrote:How is it decided what to include in a collection? I'm wondering why there are two guitars with tune-o-matics and none with the Saddlelock bridge, which seems like more of an iconic G&L thing.

Somewhat weirdly, you'll notice that the 2011 Korina Collection, the 2012 NENA Collection, the Black Ice models, as well as this Savannah Collection only use either a steel box 6 saddle bridge or a Tune-O-Matic bridge for ASAT models, DFV on non-ASAT models, and Saddle-Lock for the basses. You could almost include the 30th Anniversary Collection too were it not for the single ASAT Special hold-out. This seems to be a well established pattern now: you can get the TOM only on guitars (i.e. ASATs) that are part of limited runs and otherwise there is a lot of focus on the Classic and Bluesboy as part of a collection given that these models are in the top 3 of best selling models. They might even be #1 and #2.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:45 pm

thanks for pointing that out Craig, I didn't realize there were that many. I have had a chance to goof around with most of the cool prototypes James at the Guitar Store gets in, and I'd own about 3 of them if it weren't for the clear satin neck finish they had (my hands just don't get along with it well, and maybe it's just in my head too!). I think I was confusing them in the mix.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:51 pm

I'd be a bit surprised if the TOM doesn't make it into a regular option on ASATs in the future Jos, I love the Saddle lock but a TOM is a nice flavor for a lot of people to enjoy. I built a Warmoth body with a Tele neck and Wolfetone pickups, and almost went out and found myself a Saddle lock bridge but opted for the TOM. It gave it a real distinctive look:

I'd love to see a nice S500 with a TOM option too!

Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:13 pm

Craig wrote:Image

Custom Creations 2013 Limited Edition - 250 total Savannah instruments.

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/USA/customcreations/savannah-collection/index.asp

Good news for lefty players: All models in this Collection can be built as left-handed instruments, too.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:58 pm

LiquidSmoke wrote:How is it decided what to include in a collection? I'm wondering why there are two guitars with tune-o-matics and none with the Saddlelock bridge, which seems like more of an iconic G&L thing.

The ASAT Bass does have the Saddle-Lock bridge. ;)
See this post as it might provide some insight as to what they are going after.

Hope this helps.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:51 am

Of course, since it's the "Savannah" collection, to get the right tone out of them you need to wear a pith helmet and khakis when you play...

Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:48 am

[rant]
I have no beef with TOM bridges but I would really, really appreciate if G&L ditched the "ashtray" bridges on ASAT Classics etc, without doubt the worst of all thinkable bridge designs, can anyone mention a good reason to me why we would need those silly sidewalls on a bridge (I know it was originally needed when the bridge used to have the metal cap but that's obsolete, plus these caps were silly right from the start -- sorry Leo). OK I could always install a flat aftermarket Tele bridge... but I'm not alone, for some buddies of mine the stone-age ashtray is the deal breaker on a classic G&L Tele, like me they can't play this ancient bridge contruction without big discomfort or even hurting themselves.
[/rant]

Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:41 pm

I almost need the classic bridge to feel right though, just how I have trained myself (and I find myself knowing where I am with my right hand with it). I have played some newer F*#*#r designs with the bridges with no side walls and they feel wrong to me. Both options would be nice to please all