Asat Classic Bluesboy Custom order advice

Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:05 am

I'm figuring on a custom Bluesboy and looking for opinions from you fine folks.

So far I'm considering:
Semi-hollow w/ f-hole
No pickguard
Natural color with gloss finish (not real sure about finish)
#4 neck (main reason I'm going custom)

What would you suggest? Anyone have a #4 neck? Curious about the bridge string spacing and the fretboard width around the heel.

Thanks!

Re: Asat Classic Bluesboy Custom order advice

Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:37 pm

something like this?

i am not sure that g&l will do the no pickguard option. they have not done it in the past.

Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:40 pm

It might not be something you are interested in doing, however, if G&L will not offer it without a pickguard pick the most universal color, IMO black, then remove it and replace the pickguard screws to fill the holes. You can either keep the pickguard to sell with the guitar later or sell the pickguard once you get it. The screws will look like little rivet-ornaments and you will not have to have some form of patchwork to deal with the holes. By keeping the screws installed you will protect the holes in case you have a reason to put a pickguard back on the guitar. Just an idea to consider. NOTE: you will need to carefully match the original screws to a new set without the counter sunk tapered head. You need to use a screw with a head that has a round top with flat bottom ........identical threading of course.

Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:39 pm

Michael, thanks for the idea. Makes sense so as to not strip out the threads.

Louis - that's the look! Did you go for locking tuners? What neck do you have? Awesome looking top!

Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:35 pm

I have a SH Bluesboy with f hole, swamp ash body w/ Honeyburst finish-it looks great, IMHO! :)

I also have a ASAT Special with a #3 neck - I love it! A #4 neck would be even better! 8-)

I think G&L would build you that Bluesboy and ship it with the pickguard uninstalled, in the case. ;)

Good luck!

Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:04 pm

Ask them not to put a pick guard on it. And that should work.

Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:09 am

6v6 wrote:Michael, thanks for the idea. Makes sense so as to not strip out the threads.

Louis - that's the look! Did you go for locking tuners? What neck do you have? Awesome looking top!

i bought it used. there is no point to get locking tuners on an asat. those tuners are great. the locking ones are for tremolo guitars. i am not sure what neck is on there.
i got lucky, that is a replacement body and they didn't put it back together because i wouldn't pay for that, so i got the body without the guard installed.