Black hardware? Any hope?

Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:46 pm

Some years back I saved for a Custom Shop order and casually described it on a G&L forum... only to be told that since it involved black hardware it probably couldn't be done.

I scoffed at this, in my loudest virtual scoffing voice, stating that Dave Brown had just stated at NAMM that the Custom Shop would do anything the customer wanted and, since black hardware was a big part of G&L history, it surely couldn't be a problem. I didn't even realise, to be honest, that black hardware had even become unavailable for custom shop or built-to-order.

Anyway, I was wrong.

Black hardware (saddle lock, knobs, tuners, etc.) was unavailable and I have asked every year since and it looks further away than ever. Dave Brown once replied to suggest that crinkle-coat (my preferred) could be a way off for saddle-lock, but they might have a black chrome option coming back. Not my first option, as crinkle-coat looks amazing, but still.... Anyway, that was some years back and I think Dave has left and this idea may have left with him. Last time I asked (earlier this year) there was no reply.

My design looks awful with chrome. The guitar I want is very reliant on black. I have spent my Custom Shop money on other G&Ls, but in the back of my mind is this longing for that order to go through. I have no basis for thinking so, but I reckon in 2025 there will be a Broadcaster Anniversary model (with a different name, obviously) and that will require bringing back the black.... but I can't really wait that long for black hardware to be rediscovered by G&L.

I know I am not alone.

Does anyone have any insider knowledge about the black hardware odyssey at G&L? They seem extremely resistant to bringing back this option, even in the Custom Shop. It may be a bit academic as I spent all my Custom Shop money anyway, but I could at least be teased by the knowledge that are responding to customer interest and bringing it back.... and others are definitely interested.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Cheers,

-tony

Re: Black hardware? Any hope?

Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:33 am

Hi Tony,

The last time G&L used black hardware was for the C.L.F. Centennial ASAT and C.L.F. Centennial L-2000 in 2009. So it is not that they have never used black powder-coated hardware after it was discontinued in the mid-1990s. But I can understand their hesitancy to reintroduce it, if only to keep these aforementioned models exclusive. Which is also why I judge the odds of a 2025 Broadcaster reissue to be low.

Another option might be to scour the internet for the necessary powder-coated parts and work with your dealer so these part can be submitted to G&L for use in your custom build.

- Jos

Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:09 am

This was posted on 9/12/2020 on G&L CLF Research's facebook page:

Joacim Hemlin
I love the powder coated bridge. Is it possible to buy those as spare parts?

Author
CLF Research
Joacim Hemlin not yet, but I expect that within next year I’ll have those available

:searching:

Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:36 pm

Hi - thanks for the info...

yowhatsshakin wrote:Hi Tony,

The last time G&L used black hardware was for the C.L.F. Centennial ASAT and C.L.F. Centennial L-2000 in 2009. So it is not that they have never used black powder-coated hardware after it was discontinued in the mid-1990s. But I can understand their hesitancy to reintroduce it, if only to keep these aforementioned models exclusive. Which is also why I judge the odds of a 2025 Broadcaster reissue to be low.

Yes, however, I am hoping they would at least allow it for Custom Shop orders. Also, G&L has not always fully honoured their exclusivity... ASAT Jr might be a good example. I do like the idea of exclusive models being protected in a sense, but I think asking for black hardware availability for Custom Shop orders is less likely to infringe on that exclusivity than G&L have done by making limited edition models available in unlimited Tribute runs.

yowhatsshakin wrote:Another option might be to scour the internet for the necessary powder-coated parts and work with your dealer so these part can be submitted to G&L for use in your custom build.

- Jos

I have explored that option before, but it was a road full of promises and hope and... ultimately... despair. One dealer in the US said he noticed so many people wanting black hardware for custom orders he was thinking maybe he could do the powder coating on G&L's behalf and submit them to G&L as part of orders that wanted black hardware. It was a stroke of brilliance we thought to ourselves, but it seemed to get lost.

I have some great G&Ls with black hardware. The thing is that my Custom Shop design would look kind of trashy with bright, glary chrome smack in the middle of it. So, it is more than just a nice touch, from my point of view... it becomes a deal breaker, meaning I don't put a Custom Shop order in... sigh...

Thanks for the input.

-tony

Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:41 pm

Craig wrote:This was posted on 9/12/2020 on G&L CLF Research's facebook page:

Joacim Hemlin
I love the powder coated bridge. Is it possible to buy those as spare parts?

Author
CLF Research
Joacim Hemlin not yet, but I expect that within next year I’ll have those available

Oh - there is always hope! Thanks. This does look good. I'm definitely happy to hear this. Anything can happen, right? :happy0065:

Cheers,

-tony

Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:30 am

I'd like to see it brought back too. Love the look of the black tuners and crinkle guards.

Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:22 pm

I have a guitar on order with the custom shop using black powdercoated bridge and plates.

No ETA as of yet, but G&L did accept the order...

Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:08 am

derick wrote:I have a guitar on order with the custom shop using black powdercoated bridge and plates.

No ETA as of yet, but G&L did accept the order...

Really? This is something I have been asking about for at least 7 years. And I have been consistently told it can't be done. My design used no plates, just the powdercoated (preferably, otherwise black gloss) bridge, black knobs, black tuners. Last time I asked was about 4 months ago, maybe 5.

Hmmm....

I have spent my money on used G&Ls, which is not a bad thing.

I congratulate you on getting this through. Well done. There are a lot of us who love the black hardware. I'm sure you will absolutely love it. Send pics when it is done!!!

:banana:

Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:02 am

I think that buying used G&Ls has been an excellent strategy for decades.

I ordered my bass in May of this year and the order was approved by Dave McLaren. However the understanding was/is that it would be some unknown and perhaps lengthy period of time before it is actually built. I believe that the intention is to have both smooth and krinkle powdercoat available, but we shall see what pans out.

I am not aware of any DF Vibrato bridges that were ever black, were you wanting the saddle-lock?

Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:20 pm

derick wrote:I think that buying used G&Ls has been an excellent strategy for decades.

Yes, I agree... although, in my case, it is more an impulsive need than a rational thought process! I'm happy to pretend otherwise -- and I do with my kids who sometimes expect me to justify it :happy0007:

derick wrote:I ordered my bass in May of this year and the order was approved by Dave McLaren. However the understanding was/is that it would be some unknown and perhaps lengthy period of time before it is actually built. I believe that the intention is to have both smooth and krinkle powdercoat available, but we shall see what pans out.

I am not aware of any DF Vibrato bridges that were ever black, were you wanting the saddle-lock?

Ah - well this seems like something is around the corner. They did make bridge plates in black and I think one of mine may have black saddles??? So something could be pieced together that was "mostly" black. I did want a DF bridge initially, but then decided that black was more important to the design, so opted for saddle lock. And no pick-guard to worry about. Just saddle-lock, knobs, tuners and as much "small stuff" as possible including screws, etc.

I hope this all pans out for your order really soon. I may even recover enough for a deposit myself if it turns out they can do this again. Chrome works on a lot of guitars, but I have seen some amazingly subtle finishes kind of rendered ordinary by sticking great big splashes of shiny chrome in the middle of it. It can really distract from the finish, imo.