G&L Custom Shop ASAT HH RMC in Crimson Red ...

Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:19 pm

Recently posted on G&L's facebook page:

Here’s a G&L Custom Shop ASAT HH RMC in Crimson Red over a spalted maple top on okoume, wood binding, CLF Alnico 5 middle pickup,
6 saddle short bridge, maple neck with ebony board, Light Tint Gloss finish, locking tuners, model logo delete.
CS2102004 is headed to G&L Premier Dealer UpFront Guitars in Bellingham, Massachusetts.

Re: G&L Custom Shop ASAT HH RMC in Crimson Red ...

Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:46 pm

Anyone know where one would get information on the colors and features that G&L has available for ordering a new guitar? Their website is pretty much useless. When newly produced guitars are shown on this forum prior to heading to dealers they almost always are produced in colors and with features that are not shown on the G&L website. This one is a fine example. Neither the color, nor body wood, nor bridge are shown anywhere as available. Some would probably say, "Well you have to ask.". To which I'd respond, "Ask for what?". Without seeing samples and knowing what is available, I wouldn't know what to ask for. I am interested in an Espada in whatever has replaced Galaxy Black and isn't shown on the website. But if there were samples of colors and features available I might prefer something else.

Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:57 pm

Craig,

I am not sure it is a spalted maple top. The spec sheet just states "Okoumé with Spalted Top". I asked them in the FB channel but no answer so far. But another new color. And another new type of bridge even though the folks at Upfront told me they have seen a couple of other CS guitars with such a bridge. Although I still wonder whether they confuse the half ASAT Classic bridge with 3 or 6 barrel saddles there. Anyway, a gorgeous guitar it is.

- Jos

Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:31 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:Craig,

I am not sure it is a spalted maple top. The spec sheet just states "Okoumé with Spalted Top". I asked them in the FB channel but no answer so far. But another new color. And another new type of bridge even though the folks at Upfront told me they have seen a couple of other CS guitars with such a bridge. Although I still wonder whether they confuse the half ASAT Classic bridge with 3 or 6 barrel saddles there. Anyway, a gorgeous guitar it is.

- Jos

My info on the Spalted top is from UpFront's facebook page:
New Custom Shop gear at Upfront Guitars! This stunning ASAT HSH features stainless frets, ebony fretboard, Spalted Maple Top on Okoume and only 7.2 pounds to boot! Want to know why we love scraped wood binding? Swipe right. Available now in store

However, they do think the natural wood binding is from scraping, so maybe they are somewhat clueless. :?

The bridge is what we call "1/2 boxed steel-6 individual saddles". They were first seen in some of the prototypes in 2010-2013, search the G&L Registry and you will also find 5 CS instruments built with them.

I have not seen the Specification sheet, where did you see it?

Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:57 pm

Craig wrote:I have not seen the Specification sheet, where did you see it?

I think I saw it on my website ;)

- Jos

Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:37 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:
Craig wrote:I have not seen the Specification sheet, where did you see it?

I think I saw it on my website ;)

- Jos

Nice score! :thumbup:

I think I found another photo of this guitar on G&L Custom Shop's facebook page posted on February 11, 2021:

Ed setting up a Spalted Maple topped ASAT RMC HSH.

The Spalted markings look the same as yours, I think.
What do you think?

Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:01 pm

Craig,
That is a great pic of my guitar! Nice find.

- Jos

Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:09 pm

Nice score indeed! Looking forward to your full report.
I had seen that bridge recently on another G&L guitar, and was curious/slightly baffled, and thought it might be after-market. But now we know it's not.

Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:51 pm

That is a great pic of my guitar! Nice find.

- Jos

Did you notice the caption?

Ed setting up a Spalted Maple topped ASAT RMC HSH.

Just wondering because you registered it with a Spalted Alder top over Okoume body.

Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:22 pm

Craig,

After looking at it left and right, up and down and comparing it to the 2 spalted maple guitars I have, I'm pretty sure it is spalted alder and not spalted maple.

- Jos

Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:38 pm

After looking at it left and right, up and down and comparing it to the 2 spalted maple guitars I have, I'm pretty sure it is spalted alder and not spalted maple.

- Jos

Ok, I have accepted it as you have set it.

Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:43 am

Craig,

I also discovered yesterday that the bridge is a GB-3030-CR. Unfortunately the manufacturer is not mentioned anywhere so for now it is a generic brand.

- Jos