G&L CS Legacy vs Silver Sky

Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:56 pm

There are tons of videos comparing Legacys to Strats, but has anyone compared a CS Legacy to a Silver Sky? For my next guitar, I'm debating between a CS Legacy with the handwound 60s pups and a Silver Sky. My problem is, I don't know anywhere I can try a CS Legacy.

Re: G&L CS Legacy vs Silver Sky

Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:41 pm

Guitars5000 wrote:There are tons of videos comparing Legacys to Strats, but has anyone compared a CS Legacy to a Silver Sky? For my next guitar, I'm debating between a CS Legacy with the handwound 60s pups and a Silver Sky. My problem is, I don't know anywhere I can try a CS Legacy.

If there are any G&L Custom Shop dealers near you, contact them to see if they have any CS Legacy to try.
For the list of current Custom Shop dealers, see: G&L Custom Shop web page.

Hope this helps.

Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:57 am

Guitars5000 wrote:There are tons of videos comparing Legacys to Strats, but has anyone compared a CS Legacy to a Silver Sky? For my next guitar, I'm debating between a CS Legacy with the handwound 60s pups and a Silver Sky. My problem is, I don't know anywhere I can try a CS Legacy.

Just find a place that has a Fullerton Standard, Fullerton Deluxe, or option order legacy. Make sure it was made recently because dealers notoriously let their instruments dry out. You get fret sprout, too much neck relief, dead strings, the works.

Assuming the dealer humidifies their instruments or hasn't had time to let the instrument dry out, and assuming they know how to set up an S type with the DFV trem, your experience with a made in Fullerton Legacy will be very similar to that of a CS legacy.

You might get a little more attention to detail in the fit and finish but otherwise you'll get something pretty close.

The Silver Sky and a Fullerton Legacy are both really nice. You're not going to go wrong either way. Silver sky does have a 7 1/4 radius though and that throws a lot of buyers off.

Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:16 pm

Thanks. I have a Bluesboy n order with a 7.5 radius, vintage frets, and a v neck. I like the vintage feel. If I go with a legacy, the neck will be the same specs as my Bluesboy.

Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:18 pm

I own a Legacy and tried a couple Silver Skies

one thing I noticed: the SS moved the volume knob down about 1/2", to match where it is on the G&L

it is in a better position to avoid hitting it while playing, whereas it is very close to the bridge pup on a strat

I decided to just keep my G&L, as I preferred it over the Silver Sky

I thought the SS knobs felt weird, and the tuner buttons felt cheap. easy enough to swap the knobs out though

Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:16 am

umma_gumma wrote: I thought the SS knobs felt weird, and the tuner buttons felt cheap. easy enough to swap the knobs out though

Funny you said that. I haven't tried a Silver Sky, but I noticed the same thing trying some PRS guitars when I instead bought my G&L.

I have never really tried Gibsons, but Fenders have a firmer pot they select. G&L pots feel the same, they have just the right amount of resistance.

The PRS pots are different and have almost no friction. They're much easier to turn. I'm sure it's preference, and I'm sure the PRS pots are high quality since they're on a PRS, but they definitely have a very different feel that you would have to get used to.

Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:35 am

I have used both CTS and Bournes potentiometers on guitars where I replaced the electronics. Both are excellent quality. The Bournes pots have significantly less turning friction than the CTS. Probably has to do with the shaft bushing materials that they chose.

Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:32 pm

insteresting re: the pots!

I do prefer knobs that have a bit of resistance, as otherwise it's too easy to accidentally knock them.

I was only referring to the plastic knobs though: the vol/tone knobs on the PRS probably will stay clean longer, but I prefer the regular grooved vol/tone knobs. even though they tend to accumulate crud over time

tuner buttons may be easy to replace as well?

but as for sound, not worth the investment IMO. my G&L gets the same vibe, and I prefer it aesthetically as well.

they are nice guitars though

I wonder if John Mayer hadn't endorsed them, they'd have gained such a loyal following? I doubt it

Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:55 pm

umma_gumma wrote:insteresting re: the pots!

I do prefer knobs that have a bit of resistance, as otherwise it's too easy to accidentally knock them.

I was only referring to the plastic knobs though: the vol/tone knobs on the PRS probably will stay clean longer, but I prefer the regular grooved vol/tone knobs. even though they tend to accumulate crud over time

tuner buttons may be easy to replace as well?

but as for sound, not worth the investment IMO. my G&L gets the same vibe, and I prefer it aesthetically as well.

they are nice guitars though

I wonder if John Mayer hadn't endorsed them, they'd have gained such a loyal following? I doubt it

I doubt it would have been nearly as popular. It is a great guitar, but without the John Mayer drama, I don't think people would have went out of their way to try one.

Plus, it's pretty expensive for what it is and the case cost $200 extra.