G&L Custom Shop Legacy HH RMC in Blue Ice and Wenge neck ...

Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:30 pm

Legacy HH RMC in Blue Ice and a really awesome feeling Wenge neck. Super tone machine headed for delivery to Guitarworks, in Greenwood, Indiana.

Re: G&L Custom Shop Legacy HH RMC in Blue Ice and Wenge neck

Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:39 pm

...That’s nice.

Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:57 am

I have never seen or heard of the G&L logo being routed into the headstock. Not sure I really like it. looks too rough or amateur to my eye. Is this a factory thing or after market neck?

Tom

Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:18 pm

It is incorrect to call this model a Legacy HH RMC because it is an Invader XL.

The most important differences between the 2 models are:
1- The Legacy has a Dual-Fulcrum Vibrato (if present), the Invader a Floyd Rose, which includes the locking nut and the the string retainer bar on the headstock just behind the nut.
2- The Legacy has a PTB circuit and hence 3 controls (volume, treble cut, bass cut), the Invader just 2 (master volume, master treble)

In olden days the body shape was different too with the Invader having longer horns.

There is no model decal on the headstock so I hope the Spec Sheet has it correct and it is just an error in the OP on FB.

- Jos

Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:08 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:It is incorrect to call this model a Legacy HH RMC because it is an Invader XL.

The most important differences between the 2 models are:
1- The Legacy has a Dual-Fulcrum Vibrato (if present), the Invader a Floyd Rose, which includes the locking nut and the the string retainer bar on the headstock just behind the nut.
2- The Legacy has a PTB circuit and hence 3 controls (volume, treble cut, bass cut), the Invader just 2 (master volume, master treble)

In olden days the body shape was different too with the Invader having longer horns.

There is no model decal on the headstock so I hope the Spec Sheet has it correct and it is just an error in the OP on FB.

- Jos

I'm fine with them calling this a Legacy, if an Invader becomes this again:

Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:56 pm

What about the hideous routed logo on the headstock? It loos like something I would have done in high school wood shop. Is this a real thing or just a one off attempt to make it look home made? I'm sure the decals are easier to put on but seriously, this takes any class away from this product and I hope it's not something that becomes standard. I do not think Leo would approve.

Tom

Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:03 pm

I went to high school mostly after wood shop was a 'thing,' so I think the logo is pretty unique and cool - classier than a decal or gel-screen IMO. To my recollection here's a lot of stuff Leo wouldn't do going on at G&L; but most of the large things came about years ago, immediately after his death (didn't Leo not like to have things like caps on bodies at all -too much glue - or think the S500 , even in its original guise, was too much of a 'Strat?') But those things are pretty standard of the guitar world. Leo was a genius - but he's gone. I don't expect G&L (or any other company) could innovate like Leo did without him. Not meaning offense; they'd probably fail if they tried, so I'm more amenable to just seeing his old designs being re-hashed with some semi-unique spins I suppose.

The example posted isn't really totally to my taste or what I see of as being the arete of G&L - but still think it's cool they make it that way. They've also started making more cool things in the last year or two - the V12 , reissue Skyhawk and Espada grant them forgiveness in my own feeling (all of those have decals and not routed logos.)

Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:16 am

FZTNT wrote:What about the hideous routed logo on the headstock? It loos like something I would have done in high school wood shop. Is this a real thing or just a one off attempt to make it look home made? I'm sure the decals are easier to put on but seriously, this takes any class away from this product and I hope it's not something that becomes standard. I do not think Leo would approve.

Tom

I don't know if that was burned in, routed in, or is an inlay using an ever so slightly darker wood. Whatever the case, wenge is a very porous wood with a pretty coarse texture. No two pieces are going to be alike, so it may just be an anomaly that this particular logo on this particular headstock looks indistinct because the sharp contrast you'd see in a more dense wood, simply isn't there - giving the logo a sort of blurry appearance.

I don't care for the aesthetic produced when using these materials, but it's not so bad when we're talking, say a dark hard wood logo inlay on a bright hardwood headstock.

Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:32 am

Looks good to me !!

Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:34 pm

The new Custom Shop logo is an inlay on the back of the headstock and actually looks pretty cool. Maybe (hopefully) this is a picture taken prior to putting in a similar inlay which I would also consider to be pretty cool. But to leave just the routed out logo is, as I said, pretty hideous, IMO.

Tom

Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:42 pm

Craig has shown before how this inlay is done. I do believe it is laser cut.
I prefer the old fashion decals. The guitar in general is not my cup of tea but I am sure it will make someone very happy. G&L makes some great guitars.

y2kc