A Couple of Custom Shop guitars going to Summer NAMM ...

Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:13 pm

Just finished setting up this Legacy HSS RMC (Rear Mounted Controls) and is now ready to grace the stage at Summer NAMM.
The color scheme is called Bahama Fade for now. After the show, Martin Music in Memphis, Tennessee will be taking delivery of this piece.

Body detail of this Legacy HSS RMC in Bahama Fade.

Here's a bench shot of the body detail for this Legacy HSS RMC in Bahama Fade.

Just finished this beautiful Doheny made of oiled Monkeypod with a roasted Flame Maple neck and gold anodized aluminum pickguard.
Headed to this year's Summer NAMM show in Nashville. Martin Music in Memphis, Tennessee will be taking delivery of this piece.

Nice angle shot of this Doheny made of Monkeypod with a gold anodized aluminum pickguard.

Headstock detail of this Monkeypod Doheny sporting a roasted Flame Maple neck.

Last edited by Craig on Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added headstock detail of the Monkeypod Doheny

Re: A Couple of Custom Shop guitars going to Summer NAMM ...

Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:41 pm

That is one gorgeous Doheny.

- Jos

Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:14 pm

I like the Doheny a lot. The Legacy, not so much.

Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:48 am

Wow! That Monkeypod Doheny is as nice as they come. Not so thrilled with the Legacy.

Please send Monkeypod guitars to my home in Chicago,

y2kc

Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:25 am

I, on the other hand, am knocked out by that Bahama Fade finish. I've always wanted a burst finish that mimics the colors of a tropical island sunset, and that's getting close. My only problem with that guitar is that I'm not particularly a fan of bridge humbuckers on solid-body instruments.

Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:27 am

Is that just a trick of the lighting on the Doheny, or does the neck get gradually darker as it moves away from the body?

I love the quilting on the Legacy, but didn't really care for the finish initially. But the more I look at it, the more it grows on me - the binding really sets it off nice. I think I like it, and maybe I like it more because initially I dismissed it.

Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:00 am

DanDoulogos wrote:Is that just a trick of the lighting on the Doheny, or does the neck get gradually darker as it moves away from the body?

I love the quilting on the Legacy, but didn't really care for the finish initially. But the more I look at it, the more it grows on me - the binding really sets it off nice. I think I like it, and maybe I like it more because initially I dismissed it.

The Doheny neck is made from Roasted Flame Maple. Notice the neck blank on the left.
Looking further into the G&L Custom Shop Wood Gallery, we have a couple of nicely roasted 3A Flame Maple neck blanks.
I believe these are already spoken for, but we can always get more.

I too love quilted Maple bodies and I do like this Legacy HSS RMC.

Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:33 am

Craig wrote:
DanDoulogos wrote:Is that just a trick of the lighting on the Doheny, or does the neck get gradually darker as it moves away from the body?

The Doheny neck is made from Roasted Flame Maple. Notice the neck blank on the left.
Looking further into the G&L Custom Shop Wood Gallery, we have a couple of nicely roasted 3A Flame Maple neck blanks.
I believe these are already spoken for, but we can always get more.

I too love quilted Maple bodies and I do like this Legacy HSS RMC.

Nice! :searching:

Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:12 am

I like the Bahama Fade finish, but I don't particularly care for the orientation it was applied. I don't care for how the boundaries are parallel to the bridge and pickups. I think more of a diving board at the edge of swimming pool rather than a Bahamian beach. In my non-professional opinion it would have been better applied on curve that roughly followed the curve of the controls (though I believe the controls are pretty much in a straight line). I'm thinking more like Patrick Doheny...

The Monkey Pod with roasted maple neck is mighty fine! I'm really digging that one.