HELP: G&L ASAT Tribute Sp. coming - what total length?

Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:14 am

Hi.

Just registered cause I cannot find the total instrument length of an G&L ASAT tribute special and they are not common here in Germany...
The reason I ask: a friend is bringing this guitar over from California and we urgently need a case to protect it on the flight.

I read online that the Gator Deluxe Hardshell case would be too short so I ordered the Gator Deluxe XL, but the interior dimensions seem huge???

Thanks for helping me out.

C

PS: I had a look at other options (like the nice cushioned gig bags going for $200), but I only paid $430 for the guitar and did not want to break the bank for a case...

Re: HELP: G&L ASAT Tribute Sp. coming - what total length?

Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:25 am

My newer ASATs measure 101cm, the older ones 99cm.

For a guitar that only cost that much I think it would be better and far cheaper to just take the neck off and bubble wrap it.

Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:31 am

Wow. Now that's a quick reply!!!

Ok, I have a Gator XL coming anyways, with an interior length of 106,7cm. That's quite some room but the regular is 101cm!
Should I switch to the shorter one? I could always stuff something in to cushion it a bit I guess...
The ASAT Tribute is new so the longer version I guess.

My problem is I'm not there to pack it myself and my friend there knows nothing about guitars.

Cheers,
C

Update, internat. warranty question.m twisted neck ?

Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:43 pm

Alright!

My G&L Tribute ASAT Special TSB made it to Germany. And it's a beauty! :thumbup:

It actually flew over 1st class as there was another dude with another (apparently much more expensive) axe and he insisted that his guitar would not be gate-checked and so both guitar case went to the first class cupboard :happy0065:

Just a quick follow-up if you don't mind (maybe I should create a new thread for this, please let me know if this is the case):

I'm not the most knowledgable guy but to me it seems as if the neck has a sligh twist to it (when I look down the neck towards the headstock, the neck seems to be slightly twisted clockwise at the headstock and some strings give a tiny buzz when struck open - (might be an optical illusion from the nut?) but the setup is not the best at the moment so I wanted to give it a professional setup at the local guitar tech soon and he should know if there is a problem...

I purchased the ASAT new from an authorized dealer on ebay USA (it is also stated this on his site) so I should be eligible for the 2 year tribute warranty, right? It did not come with a warranty card (not sure if Tributes do come with one), but it's obviously unused (PG still covered in foil) and he has excellent reputation on ebay.

However, being in another country I was wondering how this would work? I found a registration card scan on this forum and could fill that out.
But, does anyone know what would happen in case I have an issue? Go to a German G&L dealer? Will I have to cover shipping? Maybe I should call G&L USA directly?

A bit worried and confused but still massively excited about my ASAT :shocked028:

Cheers,
Christian

PS: let me know if I should post the follow up question somewhere else

Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:01 pm

Congratulations on the new guitar.

I bought a guitar from a dealer and it had some issues. The dealer was in the USA and I was in Canada. So, I could have returned it for warranty work but crossing the border a couple of times and shipping, I figured it would be better to just take it to a luthier who did a proper setup on it.

I'm no expert for sure, but I wouldn't want to send it back, I would take it to someone who can tell you if it just needs tweaking and a setup, or if there is a serious issue and the neck is bad.

Then you will know what to do.

I hope this helps

Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:26 pm

Thanks man.

That's pretty much what I'll do I think. I wanted to bring my 2 Gibsons to a nearby luthier for fret work and would bring the ASAT along for him to check...
Might be alright after all after a proper setup :confused0007:

Anyways, I'll fly over in February and might bring it back home if there are severe issues... Would G&L swap the guitar (it's _only_ a tribute) or would they replace the neck?

Cheers,
C

Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:09 pm

Note to board editor: please forgive the duplicate posts... I kind of lost track in which thread to put this wrap-up reply... :oops:

So, this is how things worked out:

There were 3 or 4 bad frets (not that bad really) higher up the neck which might have given me the twisted neck impression. There was also some light buzzing on the open high e string and from somewhere at the headstock...

As I brought all my three guitar to a local luthier for a well deserved checkup he did a leveling on the frets and a full setup plus worked on the nut... And it's just great now!

This thing is so resonant and now plays like a champ (working on the nut cuts got rid of the sitar buzz, too). Still trying out to find the sweet spot with the MFDs and my gear but that was some little money we'll spend alright!

So if your really wanna pimp your tribute experience: get it to a good luthier and he'll really work wonders on the playability of the neck (or I just had a bit of a lemon?)

Anyhow: happy camper now :D

Next step should be to get a nice used USA model but I not allowed to purchase any more guitars or gear for the next months I was told by my lady at home... ;)

Cheers