Tribute Invader Body

Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:38 am

I was curious if anyone here would know if the Invader Tribute body's are identical to the Tribute S-500 body's. I am looking at a Tribute Invader that is a 2005 I believe. I own two of the S-500's and I like the contours and shape of the body's. The Invader body is painted so I am assuming it is basswood as well. Anyone know if they are the same shape, and size, and if the contours are identical? I owned a couple of Fender Strats and much prefer the feel of the G&L over these. They just feel so much more substantial. Nothing against Fender, but they feel kinda toyish to me compared to my S-500's

Re: Tribute Invader Body

Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:47 pm

Invaders have pointier horns than the S-style bodies of Legacy's and S500's.

Something here could be useful to you:
http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8451

Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:36 pm

I appreciate your response Salmon, but if you look at the American version compared to the link you have posted, yes the American looks more pointed, but the Korean models don't look quite as 80's pointy. I have an S-500 with humbuckers, but for some reason I need, want, desire, got to have one with the pickups mounted to the body. Anyone else have information on this.

Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:34 pm

To me the Tribute and USA shapes look identical and have the same longer horns compared to the Legacy/S500. If there is any difference in the actual shape between the Tribute and USA Invader it is not in the length of the longer horn but in the height of the top horn. It could just be the photo but there may be a higher arch in the top curves of the USA Invader. The extended horn length is very close if not identical between the Tribute and USA Invader as far as I can see. Look at the fret where each top horn ends. It is the 12th on the Legacy/S500 while it is the 11th on both Invaders.

USA S500 (same body shape as Legacy)

USA Invader XL

2006-2008 Tribute Invader XL

2004-2006 Tribute Invader XL

Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:25 am

Yes, the way you have them posted I can see it now, I was hoping they were the same as the S-500. Maybe it will not make much difference. I prefer the feel of a Tele body but I also like the feel of the S-500. I have a ASAT Tribute Deluxe Carved Top which is extremely comfortable to play. For some reason, I do not like the feel of a Fender Strat though and hopefully the extended horns will not be an issue. We'll see. Thanks for the information Salmon.

Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:31 am

An update on this. I did get a 2004 Tribute Invader and like it a bunch. The redish one. Also noticed that the body on my S-500's are identical in size, but the neck on the Invader seems to be mounted a little deeper into the body, closer to the neck pickup. This is why the horn, although thinner, is closer to the eleventh fret on the neck of the Invader. Both e strings are also closer to the side of the neck compared to all of my other G&l's. Food for thought. It plays very well though. The humbuckers split also sound very good. In humbucker mode they might be a bit hot for my taste, but lowering the volume seems to calm them. It is one of my easiest guitars to play.