Questions on Tribute ASAT Special

Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:13 pm

Hi everybody - new to the forum and had some questions that I was hoping you guys could help me out with.

I’ve been looking for a 2nd guitar that is sort of unique and different. Came across the Tribute ASAT Special and I’m digging it. Just love the overall look of it, the tones in the demos, the pickups, the bridge, all of it. Unfortunately nobody close to my house carries one so I’m stuck watching demos and reading reviews. Few questions that I had:

I’ve always had a dilemma in that I love single coil pickups but can’t stand 60 cycle hum. I solved this with some Kinman noiseless pickups in my strat (awesome pups by the way), but these MFD single coils are a bit unique and I doubt there’s any noiseless replacements. So some of the reviewers said that these MFD single coils have less noise than typical single coils. Is that true? How do they stack up with traditional single coils and P90’s in terms of noise?

Is the middle position hum cancelling?

How much difference do you notice in the 9.0 fretboard radius vs a 9.5 that’s in a typical Fender guitar? Is there a tonal difference? Or just a feel thing? Difference in the way that it needs to be set up? I’m by no means an expert and I probably wouldn’t even notice the difference – but figured there must be some difference or they wouldn’t have done it.

Anybody that has one, how do you like it?

I appreciate any responses.

Re: Questions on Tribute ASAT Special

Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:48 pm

Yes, the middle position is hum canceling.

As I always say, the pickups do not produce any hum, they're just recording what's already there. I'm just playing modeler's, no tube amps and there isn't any hum issue withe single coils even in front of my computer.

I have several guitars with 7.5 radius fret boards, but most of them have 12 inch radius. I play just play them all, not thinking about the radius. 9 would not be that much difference to 12 anyway.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:03 pm

I’ve always had a dilemma in that I love single coil pickups but can’t stand 60 cycle hum. I solved this with some Kinman noiseless pickups in my strat (awesome pups by the way), but these MFD single coils are a bit unique and I doubt there’s any noiseless replacements. So some of the reviewers said that these MFD single coils have less noise than typical single coils. Is that true? How do they stack up with traditional single coils and P90’s in terms of noise?

The MFDs are supposed to be quieter than traditional single coil pickups. I have an ASAT Classic with the small MFDs and I don't really notice that much less noise--maybe a bit--than my old Fender Nocaster--but that's just by memory--currently I do not have another single coil guitar to compare it to. I have played the large MFDs in the ASAT Special and there still is the usual single coil noise issue that is to be expected--it's the nature of the beast. There are several threads here regarding mods (shielding and grounding) to reduce the noise, but it will be difficult to eliminate it completely.

Is the middle position hum cancelling?

Yes it is.

How much difference do you notice in the 9.0 fretboard radius vs a 9.5 that’s in a typical Fender guitar? Is there a tonal difference? Or just a feel thing? Difference in the way that it needs to be set up? I’m by no means an expert and I probably wouldn’t even notice the difference – but figured there must be some difference or they wouldn’t have done it.

I would be shocked if anyone claimed to be able to detect a half inch difference in fretboard radius. It's difficult enough to detect the difference between 7.5 and 9.
Check this out to see what different radii actually look like:
http://www.pickguardian.com/pickguardia ... gauges.pdf

I would hazard a guess that among the individuals that frequent this board, the large MFD pickups would be the most popular. There really is nothing like them--completely different than P-90s nothing like Tele or Strat single coils. They simultaneously can provide a clarity and a warmth unlike any others. With some tweaking of the volume and tone controls--backing them off slightly--you can come close to traditional Tele tones--but crank them up and they can push your amp into overdrive unlike any other.

BTW, the pickups in the USA and the Tribute models are identical.

I am sure more people will chime in.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:27 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I have a 2003 Made in Korea ASAT Special. It was my first ever tele style guitar and first G&L. I now have 4 G&L's and 4 T-style guitars but I still enjoy the Special as much as any of them. The only thing I'd change is the MOTS pick guard. One day I'll splurge and get a single ply black guard cut. What I'd really like is a matching semi-hollow Tribute Special. I don't think they make them any more though.

As far as noise goes, I've never noticed any excessive noise on any of my T-style guitars, and the Special pickups are just as quiet as all the others. The middle pickup position is hum cancelling. The neck pickup is glorious and the bridge pick up can do anything from lean tele twang when the volume is backed off, to fat high gain rock and roll with the volume on 10 and the tone backed off a touch.

I really like the 9" radius on the Special. Some 12" boards feel too flat for me, especially for Barre chording, but 9" is a real sweet spot IMO.

Good luck with the hunt!

Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:13 am

Great info - thanks.