Stolen Trib S-500 replaced by new Trib Blueburst Legacy

Thu May 23, 2013 12:32 pm

It's been a long time since I hung around these parts.

Long story short, I've loved my Tribute S-500 for quite a long time, since the day she arrived after I purchased her from another forum member here.

Natural gloss, tortoise guard, those sweet sweet MFDs.....

Stolen.

Right out of my church office. Someone broke into our church, stole my S-500, my bass, my laptop, and the church's 3-octave handbell set (along with a minimal amount of cash and some odds and ends).

Insurance claim filed. The Guitars by Leo registry is a wonderful thing, provided me with my serial number. (Register those guitars, folks!)

Looking to replace it with another Tribute. I like the looks of the vintage white S-500, but not as much as the natural gloss. The sunburst isn't bad, either. But the one that turns me on is the Blueburst Legacy! I prefer maple to rosewood, and the blueburst is a G&L signature.

How do the maple Tribute necks play? Do they feel much different from the rosewood? And what's the general consensus re: the newer Indonesia-made Tribs vs. the older Korea-made ones?
Last edited by blind willie on Wed May 29, 2013 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: I Haz a Sad, my Trib S-500 is gone.

Thu May 23, 2013 6:30 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. That was a terrible thing for somebody to do. Please keep us posted if you have any luck tracking it down.

Ken

ps - Sorry, but I can't offer an opinion on the Tribbies. I've only played a couple briefly in shops.

Thu May 23, 2013 9:00 pm

I hate hearing about stolen gear, I hope it gets recovered. Be sure to check the usual scum-bag joints - pawn shops. How those places even exist is beyond me, but to have TV shows about them????

The tribute's are good guitars. The necks are more like a US standard Fender on the ones I've played. I've only played the Japanese and Korean ones, not the Indonesian.

Fri May 24, 2013 6:58 pm

It really does stink. I miss that guitar. I had just done some setup work on it, too - adjusted the truss rod, tweaked the trem height and intonation and pickup heights, polished it up.

But I really think I want a more trad S-style guitar this time, and the Trib Legacy seems to fit the bill.

Tue May 28, 2013 1:39 pm

The blueburst Tribute Legacy should be here sometime tomorrow. I can't wait to check it out!

Tue May 28, 2013 2:02 pm

The blue burst sound the best.

Wed May 29, 2013 6:43 am

In my mind Blueburst is really a G&L signature color. And it's gorgeous.

Wed May 29, 2013 2:09 pm

It's here, and it's fabulous!

Wed May 29, 2013 8:09 pm

blind willie wrote:It's here, and it's fabulous!

:searching: for :sign0005:

And don't forget to add it to our G&L Registry.

That should take the sting off the loss of your Tribute S-500.

:ugeek:

Re: Stolen Trib S-500 replaced by new Trib Blueburst Legacy

Thu May 30, 2013 5:30 am

Did someone ask for pics?

Thu May 30, 2013 6:31 am

The pearl pickguard really looks great on this guitar. Glad your situation is solved.-- Drwin

Thu May 30, 2013 7:54 am

While I haven't had time to completely run the guitar through its paces, I do believe this is a better specimen than my old Tribby S-500. And it was a nice guitar!

My 18-year-old son who also plays and loves my guitars picked up the new Legacy and played a few unplugged licks, then he smiled and said, "This one's BETTER! I like this a LOT!"

And I agree with him. It really is better.

The pearloid really does look great with Blueburst, as does the maple fretboard. I'm a happy camper!

Thu May 30, 2013 11:24 am

suave eddie wrote:The blue burst sound the best.

Just teasing you about the color--I have a Blueburst ASAT.
.....but it would sound better with a black pickguard and and an ebony board ;) .

Seriously, enjoy your new Legacy!

Thu May 30, 2013 12:10 pm

No, blueburst DOES sound best. Independent audio testing with sensitive laboratory equipment confirms it.

But I'm a maple fretboard guy.