Tribute Comanche tuning pegs

Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:54 am

Hi all,

Where do the tuning pegs for the Tribute series guitar sit on the quality scale? I've just snapped two high E strings in a row and found a burr on the tuning peg, so one option is to take it to my local tech to smooth out the burr. I'm wondering, though, whether I'd be better off upgrading the pegs to higher quality units with harder metal in the pegs that are less likely to develop burrs in the first place.

If I'm better off replacing them, could you recommend a good brand that'll fit?

Cheers
Pat

Re: Tribute Comanche tuning pegs

Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:52 pm

patricks wrote:If I'm better off replacing them, could you recommend a good brand that'll fit?

I think, there's nothing to fit right away.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:30 am

So, you'll laugh when you read this...
The reason I was snapping strings wasn't a burr (there was a tiny one on there, but it sanded right out straight away), it was because I was trying to tune the guitar 5 semitones too sharp :!:
I use an A 440Hz pitch fork as my tuning reference and usually start by matching the 7th fret harmonic on the 4th string to the tuning fork.
Yesterday I had a massive brain fart and started with the 7th fret harmonic on the 5th string instead :BadIdea:

Miles, thanks for the picture! I still might upgrade them at some point in the future, so it's good to know what they look like :thumbup:

Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:12 am

<censored word> happens. ;)

Do you own a cell phone with Android? There are a lot of tuner apps to download for free. I don't know, if there are some for the Iphone, but I guess yes. ;)

I do not plan to change the tuners on my Comanche. For first, they work quite well, I can't recognize any significant differences to ones from Schaller and second, I don't know where to get some, which will match without drilling.

Locking tuners would be nice, but on the other hand, I have no tuning issues. :)

Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:48 am

Patricks, you probably will not find a drop in replacement. I did put American tuners in a Tribute that I had because I had a lot of them laying around. I carefully redrilled and they worked out perfectly. The Tribute tuners are double pinned very similar to Fenders but the Fender holes are place a little differently. With some careful drilling, you could install either Locking Schalers or Sperzals. I love them as it is much easier to change strings. -- Darwin

Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:54 pm

Resurrecting this thread to ask about the peg hole diameter - does anyone know off the top of their head what it is for Tribute guitars? If not, I'll just remove a tuning peg and measure it the next time I change strings.

The reason I ask is that I was browsing on StewMac today and saw these:http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Steinberger_Gearless_Tuners.html
If the Tribute peg hole is 10mm then I'm a happy boy, partly because they don't use mounting screws (just one small locating peg that wouldn't be too hard to drill for) and partly cos I'm anal about tuning, so 40:1 ratio tuners would be ideal - a bit much for some of the strings, but ideal for the G and low E.
Cheers
Patrick

Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:00 pm

Patricks, I have also thought about using those. I think they would be a good choice but I have never tried them. They are an interesting concept.-- Darwin

Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:57 pm

Cool, thanks :)
I might give them a shot when I've got some spare cash, I can measure the hole diameter in the meantime. The other high-ratio tuners I've seen are the Graph Tech ratio tuners, which give you half a turn per semitone on each string, but for some reason the Steinbergers appeal to me more.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:22 pm

graphtec ratio tuners. 35:1 on the g string, 39:1 on the low e. onlly 12:1 on the high e and 20:1 on the b and d strings, 24:1 on the a.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:10 pm

Good to know, thanks :)

Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:55 pm

patricks wrote:Good to know, thanks :)

on each string one turn equals one note. anyone i know with the steinbergers hates life, it's like having only fine tuners.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:12 pm

Hmm, I was wondering whether the Steinbergers might have too high a ratio on some strings. When changing strings I'd probably have to use an electric drill as a string winder :D

Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:25 pm

patricks wrote:Hmm, I was wondering whether the Steinbergers might have too high a ratio on some strings. When changing strings I'd probably have to use an electric drill as a string winder :D

a string winder won't help, the heads are round, you'd have a real hard time having a winder grip that.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:41 am

I meant tightening the drill's chuck around the tuner's head - just being silly :)

Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:24 am

From an old message:
Maybe this helps. I´ve found out that the Tribute has Jin Ho Standard Sealed Housing-F J-802 tuners:
http://www.jinhomusic.com/standard/j_802.html
The pins are different from those in a Fender Schaller, the only 2 pin locking tuners I´ve seen so far.
It seems that there is no locking tuner that could be a direct replacement

patricks wrote:Resurrecting this thread to ask about the peg hole diameter - does anyone know off the top of their head what it is for Tribute guitars? If not, I'll just remove a tuning peg and measure it the next time I change strings.

The reason I ask is that I was browsing on StewMac today and saw these:http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Steinberger_Gearless_Tuners.html
If the Tribute peg hole is 10mm then I'm a happy boy, partly because they don't use mounting screws (just one small locating peg that wouldn't be too hard to drill for) and partly cos I'm anal about tuning, so 40:1 ratio tuners would be ideal - a bit much for some of the strings, but ideal for the G and low E.
Cheers
Patrick

Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:57 am

That does help, thanks! The spec sheet says that the widest part of the shaft is 10mm, so they'd fit.
I was wrong about the ratio, too, apparently it's a "threads per inch" count, so it's meaningless to compare them to any particular ratio for geared tuners. After Louis' advice, I'm going to have to do more homework. I do prefer fine tuning over coarse, but if I'm going to drop $100 on a set then I want to be darn sure they won't be a complete PITA. One thing about them that some don't like is that it's not easy to do alternate tunings on the fly, but that's not really possible on a trem-equipped guitar anyway.