Are "Tribute" series G&L's any good?

Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:42 pm

My Number 1 guitar, for the past 12 years has and always will be my G&L Legacy. Being as this is currently my ONLY electric, I'm thinking about getting a backup, but I want something different. Was thinking an ASAT Special or Deluxe, but being as it will be #2 and therefore not get played as much, I can't see me wanting to spend a bunch of money on it. Hence the Tribute questions.

I thought I read they are made in Indonesia. That's all I know about Tributes. What are some of the noticeable differences? Are they foreign made using USA made pickups, parts, etc? Do they hold up as well? Are the necks about the same feel? Is the wood quality decent? Are the controls and switches quality? I can deal with sub-par finishes and asthetic things.

School me please and be as specific as possible.

Thanks,
Bigben

Re: Are "Tribute" series G&L's any good?

Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:51 pm

I have owned both an Invader (not made anymore) and a S-500. The electronics on them did the job while the neck has a different feel to them. The shoulders seemed a bit thicker. One thing about mine is that they were Korean made. For the money, they were very nice guitars. The only reason I sold mine is because I needed the money. If I was out gigging, I would use a Tribby or 2 for the drunks to spill their beers on or trip over. A lot easier replacing a cheap Asian then a spendy American made one. I do have have my eyes on the new Legacy HB.

Deno

Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:41 pm

I bought a new Tribute Legacy HB premium about a month ago, it is natural finish swamp ash. I purchased the guitar online as there are no G&L dealers in my area. The frets need dressing with many sharp spots, a fairly easy fix but bothersome on a new guitar. The intonation is great and the guitar is very goodlooking and of decent quality. It has a five way selector and a push pull so it has lots of sound choices and options, the funny thing is I could not find one I liked. I can't seem to get the chimey treble sound I like. After playing this guitar everyday for 2 weeks straight I put it down and went back to my SC1. I don't know if this helps, just a personal observation.

Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:31 am

I was blown away by the feel, fit and finish of my recently acquired S-500 Tribute. In the guitar shop I was actually under the impression it was US made until I went back and did my research. I have to say the general quality of mine and a couple of the ASAT Tributes I played were on par with a MIM Fender. Far better than Squiers and as someone said earlier in this thread, very gig worthy. I've also got a newer Gibson SG and the neck on my Tribute is overall smoother especially how the frets are tapered off along the sides.

All this said as one of my previous instructors and working guitar tech told me, all instruments are individuals. He'd worked on Epiphones that were superior to a number of Gibsons that had crossed his bench, and then again he'd seen a number of Epiphones where the Quality Control was not quite to the same standards as the average Gibson. The nice thing about the Tributes that I see is often you are still getting US made Fullerton pickups. So the switches, pots and craftsmanship are the real difference.

Bottom line if you find one that feels good and you love to play it, and the electronics are sound that's what makes it "any good". Then again, check out It Might Get Loud with Jack White and you might start thinking what makes a guitar good is the guy who straps it on. Love him or hate him, he can make crappy instruments sound awesome.

Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:03 am

I dig them.

The fit and finish are really good. The pickups are the same as their domestic brethren, and they are great sounding guitars.

The necks are the only thing that takes them down a notch for me. Don't get me wrong they are great playing necks, but I feel they are not quite in the league as the American necks. The the money though, they stomp the Fender instruments in their range.

Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:16 am

I've had countless through the door and yes, they are good. Some great points brought up in this thread.

Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:28 pm

I've owned at least a half a dozen. They were all excellent guitars. The S-500s were the best of all. Yes, the pickups are U.S.-made; pots and switches are not the same as the U.S.; not an expensive upgrade if you want fancy caps and CTS pots. The wood is often beautiful, sometimes the necks need a little fret detail, but every guitar has sprout in its first year. The tuners are excellent; the nut material's a little soft. The necks are a little more squared-off where the sides meet the fingerboard than a U.S. neck. But none of these quibbles is major -- I am always on the lookout for a Tribute when I have extra cash. With the prices of new ones going up and the prices of used U.S. staying down, sometimes you might choose to put your $500+ toward a used U.S. But if you want a new guitar for $500, you will get your money's worth out of a Tribute. I'd buy one before a MIM Fender any day, for the pickups alone -- but other things, too.

Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:00 am

I liked when Tributes were cheaper. I bought my SB-2 when it came out, I think it was $250-$300 new when it came out. I got it because it was cheaper than a MIM Fender.