G&L Tribute S-500 - body wood?

Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:46 am

Hello, I am thinking about purchasing an G&L S-500 Tribute, but I am not sure whether I should go for the new one made of mahogany or the "old one" made of swamp ash..? I am looking for a tone that is not an excact copy of, but similar to SRV's sound (especially his cover of Little Wing), but also want to have decent distortion-sound for hard rock/heavy metal. I own a Gibson Les Paul Standard (which of course also has a mahogany body, with a maple top), and want a tone that is not excactly opposite of the Les Paul, but slightly in the tele/strat-territory.
All the strats I have tried did make horrible distortion-sound, including the Fender American Standard Stratocaster and some of the higher end Mexico-strats (however, they did have beautiful clean-sound, which is also something I will use it for).. I know I want a G&L Tribute, because the style I'm going to use the strat for is not my "main-style" (I'm going to use for mainly blues and rock, and as mentioned, some harder rock if it is capable of that, and I use the Les Paul for harder stuff) so I do not need a very high-end Customshop-guitar.
I did also consider the Legacy, but since I have had such bad luck with other "classic" strats I decided I wanted to try something a little different.

Will the mahogany-version be heavy as f**k?

Re: G&L Tribute S-500 - body wood?

Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:16 pm

Anyone...?

Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:47 pm

I wouldn't expect a mahogany body S500 to sound anything like a Les Paul. I have a hog body Invader with a maple top and HSH pickup configuration, also a semi hollow ASAT Deluxe with the same construction. Both have a Duncan JB in the bridge and neither sound like a Les Paul. An S500 would be further removed from a LP tone, don't have a mahogany body S500 but I have an ash body / maple top deluxe and a regular S500 with I think an ash body although it may be alder. Both are a lot fatter sounding than any strat I've played, great for rock or blues and also great for full fat clean tones. You might also consider the Legacy Special with Gotoh Dual Blade pickups, a really excellent rock and blues machine.

Not sure if that is of any use to you, just my 2c.

Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:40 pm

I found this very good discription of G&L body wood differences >> http://www.upfrontguitars.com/blog/2011 ... gl-guitar/

I've also heard the tribute version of ash is not the exact same ash used in the USA models, but probably an asian equivalent called "sen ash"? People describe it as looking like ash, but sounding more like alder. (Spectacular looks though).

Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:33 am

Thank you for the inputs. I have been looking at the Comanche as well, what about that vs the S-500?

Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:04 am

I have ordered the Vintage White one, but it won't arrive before the end of september :(

Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:31 am

Please let us know your thoughts when it arrives (they are available on Ebay now btw). I'm considering the same guitar.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-L-Tribute-Ser ... 5894f274b4

Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:39 am

Hello again. I never bought the Tribute, but yesterday I placed an order for a custom american G&L S-500! :thumbup:
[*actual pricing removed by Admin] for shipping (+ customs and such <censored word>), but I think and hope it will be worth it

Specs:

G&L S-500
Lemondrop finish
Flamed maple top
#1b neck
Standard medium jumbo frets
Quartersawn maple neck
Maple fretboard
Light tint satin finish neck
Sperzel Locking tuners
Graphtec nut
White (pearl) pickguard
White covers
White knobs
Tolex hardshell case

* Posting of new instrument pricing is not allowed - please see guitarsbyleo.com History and G&LDP Guidelines