2004 G&L Tribute ASAT Special Premium Setup Spec's?

Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:21 am

Guys, I just picked up a 2004 G&L Tribute ASAT Special Premium. The guitar is gorgeous, but is dusty, with old strings, so I want to do a thorough cleaning/polishing and do a fresh setup with D'Addario 10's.

I have checked out the GuitarsbyLeo web-site for setup info, but they don't have all the setup info in one place, and they don't specify whether the info applies to USA models and/or imports, and there's mention that the factory specs have been tweaked over the years.

For any 2004'ish Tribute owners out there, how are you setting up:

neck relief: capo 1st fret? adjust gap at which fret to what gap?

action: adjust gap at which fret to what gap at treble side? bass side?

9-inch radius gauge, right?

pickup height: fret last fret? same height for neck and bridge pickups?

Thanks for the help, guys.

Re: 2004 G&L Tribute ASAT Special Premium Setup Spec's?

Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:43 pm

FenderGuy53 wrote:Guys, I just picked up a 2004 G&L Tribute ASAT Special Premium. The guitar is gorgeous, but is dusty, with old strings, so I want to do a thorough cleaning/polishing and do a fresh setup with D'Addario 10's.

I have checked out the GuitarsbyLeo web-site for setup info, but they don't have all the setup info in one place, and they don't specify whether the info applies to USA models and/or imports, and there's mention that the factory specs have been tweaked over the years.

See How-To Guide post in the G&L Knowledgebase, G&L Tech Tips sub-forum.
I recently updated it.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:23 pm

i would level and dress the frets before doing the rest. i think relief is a question of personal taste more than factory spec. pup height even more so.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:30 am

Craig wrote:
FenderGuy53 wrote:Guys, I just picked up a 2004 G&L Tribute ASAT Special Premium. The guitar is gorgeous, but is dusty, with old strings, so I want to do a thorough cleaning/polishing and do a fresh setup with D'Addario 10's.

See How-To Guide post in the G&L Knowledgebase, G&L Tech Tips sub-forum.
I recently updated it.

Hope this helps.

Craig:

I check those adjustments and here's what I found (by the way, my 4-bolt ASAT Special has a non-vibrato, saddle-lock bridge and no neck micro-tilt adjustment):

Neck relief (fretting 1st and 22nd frets): .012"-.015" on 6th string, measuring at 8th fret, fretting 1st and 22nd frets simultaneously.
Action (at 22nd fret): 1st string - 4/64"; 6th string - 6/64"
Pick-up Height (fretting 22nd fret): 1st string - 2/64"; 6th string - 4/64"

Do these specs sound right to you?

The instructions reference adjusting 6th saddle to 1/8" between bridge plate and bottom of saddle, then adjusting 6th string to 6/64" at 22nd fret. I don't get that part.

Thanks, Craig.
Last edited by FenderGuy53 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:42 am

How does this look?

NECK RELIEF
• Tune to A440 pitch.
• Install capo at 1st fret and depress 6th string at last fret.
• Adjust gap at 8th fret to .012".

ACTION
• Adjust gap at last fret to 4/64" (treble side), 6/64" (bass side).
• Adjust remaining saddles using 9" radius gauge.

PICKUP HEIGHT
• Remove capo.
• Depress 1st string or 6th string at last fret.
• Using rule, measure gap and adjust pickup height as follows:

Bass Side, 2/32"
Treble Side, 1/32"

Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:30 am

[quote="Craig]See How-To Guide post in the G&L Knowledgebase, G&L Tech Tips sub-forum.
I recently updated it.[/quote]

Craig:

The PDF manual (http://www.glguitars.com/faq/GLmanual.pdf) and the manual in the Gallery (http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/GALLERY2/ma ... itemId=378) are not the same, with regard to the truss rod adjustment and the action adjustment.

So, which is more appropriate for a 2004 Tribute ASAT Special?

Thanks.

Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:52 am

FenderGuy53 wrote:[quote="Craig]See How-To Guide post in the G&L Knowledgebase, G&L Tech Tips sub-forum.
I recently updated it.[/quote]

Craig:

The PDF manual (http://www.glguitars.com/faq/GLmanual.pdf) and the manual in the Gallery (http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/GALLERY2/ma ... itemId=378) are not the same, with regard to the truss rod adjustment and the action adjustment.

So, which is more appropriate for a 2004 Tribute ASAT Special?

Thanks.[/quote][/quote]

It was thought that there was only cosmetic differences between these two manuals,
but as you note, the truss rod specs did in fact change. I will update the text in the Gallery
for the existing User's Manual and add the updated User's Manual.

The PDF manual version is the later version. I would use that one for your 2004 Tribute.

Please note that newer models, particularly 4-bolt guitars and 6-bolt basses, do not come
with owner's manuals. The manual for earlier models covers how to adjust the micro-tilt neck
feature no longer used on 4-bolt and 6-bolt models.

Hope this helps.

Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:17 am

Craig wrote:It was thought that there was only cosmetic differences between these two manuals, but as you note, the truss rod specs did in fact change. I will update the text in the Gallery for the existing User's Manual and add the updated User's Manual.

The PDF manual version is the later version. I would use that one for your 2004 Tribute.

Please note that newer models, particularly 4-bolt guitars and 6-bolt basses, do not come with owner's manuals. The manual for earlier models covers how to adjust the micro-tilt neck feature no longer used on 4-bolt and 6-bolt models.

Hope this helps.

Craig: Please note that the action adjustment specs are also different between the PDF manual and the Gallery manual.

So, to summarize, the truss rod adjustment AND the action adjustment are different between the PDF manual and the Gallery manual.

In the meantime, I'll use the PDF manual for the setup on my 2004 Tribute ASAT Special.

Thanks!

Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:40 am

FenderGuy53 wrote:
Craig wrote:It was thought that there was only cosmetic differences between these two manuals, but as you note, the truss rod specs did in fact change. I will update the text in the Gallery for the existing User's Manual and add the updated User's Manual.

Please note that newer models, particularly 4-bolt guitars and 6-bolt basses, do not come with owner's manuals. The manual for earlier models covers how to adjust the micro-tilt neck feature no longer used on 4-bolt and 6-bolt models.

Hope this helps.

Craig: Please note that the action adjustment specs are also different between the PDF manual and the Gallery manual.

So, to summarize, the truss rod adjustment AND the action adjustment are different between the PDF manual and the Gallery manual.

In the meantime, I'll use the PDF manual for the setup on my 2004 Tribute ASAT Special.

Thanks!

So noted. I have added Owner's Manual, Version 2 (same as PDF manual) in the Gallery.

Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:05 am

Craig wrote:
FenderGuy53 wrote:

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

So noted. I have added Owner's Manual, Version 2 (same as PDF manual) in the Gallery.

Great job, Craig! Thanks.

Question: Steps 6A and 6B in the manual say: (6A) adjust the #6 saddle to measure 1/8" between the bridge plate and the bottom of the saddle, then (6B) adjust the micro-tilt to achieve a gap of .062" (or 4/64") at the 22nd fret.

Since I don't have a micro-tilt adjustment, can I simply skip steps 6A and 6B and adjust the #6 saddle to .062" (or 4/64")?

Thanks.

Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:29 am

FenderGuy53 wrote:
Craig wrote:
FenderGuy53 wrote:

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Great job, Craig! Thanks.

Question: Steps 6A and 6B in the manual say: (6A) adjust the #6 saddle to measure 1/8" between the bridge plate and the bottom of the saddle, then (6B) adjust the micro-tilt to achieve a gap of .062" (or 4/64") at the 22nd fret.

Since I don't have a micro-tilt adjustment, can I simply skip steps 6A and 6B and adjust the #6 saddle to .062" (or 4/64")?

Thanks.

Yes, that is correct.