Tribute Classic tuning problem

Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:20 am

Hi folks, I have a recently bought ASAT classic Tribute, love the guitar but have a problem keeping it in tune. The problem strings are 2 and 3 (B and G) I have the intonation "correct" as in , its in tune open at at the 12th fret but seems out in between... the other strings are fine. Any suggestions?
cheers
john

Re: Tribute Classic tuning problem

Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:33 am

I tune my guitars at the 3rd fret and check intonation at the 15th fret and find they are more in tune up and down the neck. Your tuner will read G-C-F-A#-D-G and of course the same when you check and adjust your intonation. This system works very well for me.

Mike

Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:10 am

It sounds like the nut slots might cut be a little high on strings 2 & 3 ( or the strings aren't seated nicely).
That would account for the open string and higher frets sounding in tune
but getting worse as you get closer to the nut.

Elwood

Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:08 pm

change the strings. that is always the first step with intonation problems.

Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:16 pm

louis cyfer wrote:change the strings. that is always the first step with intonation problems.

just changed the strings,that was when it started.... :(
dodgy strings?

john

Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:18 pm

oneeyedog wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:change the strings. that is always the first step with intonation problems.

just changed the strings,that was when it started.... :(
dodgy strings?

john

if it was fine before, absolutely. with dr strings it happened to me with almost every set. curt mangans and thomastics have not had that issue.

Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:25 pm

they were d'addario strings. i'll try another set...
cheers
john

Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:36 am

Hey John,
Are you making any progress with your tuning issue?
Mike

Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:45 am

yeah Mike, sorry i should have said. I checked and the nut did seem cut high on these two so I gently took some off the slot and re stretched the strings and set the intonation again and so far so good... thaks
john