Does my Tribute G&L have a Treble Bleed?

Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:10 am

Hi,
I just bought a G&L Tribute ASAT Special Semi-Hollow which I absolutely love!!! :-) I believe it's a Korean model as it has the large Tribute logo with G&L written in small under it.
However, I bought it on ebay and the two pots Volume & Tone are completely wasted and I'll need to replace them. So as long as the guitar is going to the guitar Tech guy, I would have asked him to put a Treble bleed as well but I then discovered (I forget where), that some (or all?) G&Ls are stock equipped with a Treble Bleed?
But the volume pot is so wasted I can't even tell?!
Anybody know if it's supposed to have one or not?
Also, I really know nothing about modding guitars and don't understand much of the tech talk going on the subject, except I immediately understood the benefit of a treble bleed when it was pointed out to me that such a thing existed!
But I see people change capacitors, pots and other electronics tweaks so my question is, as long as the guitar is going to be opened up on the operating table, is there any other mod I might wish to have done? Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Chumbo

Re: Does my Tribute G&L have a Treble Bleed?

Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:48 pm

Hi Chumbo,

I have 2 Korean ASAT Tribbies and both of them had wasted pots. When I opened them up both had the treble bleed circuitry installed at the factory.

As far as other changes go, having a 4 position switch installed for a pickups-in-series option seems to be pretty common. I've never gotten around to it but always liked the idea.

Phil.

Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:35 pm

i don't like treble bleeds much, they roll off the low end when rolling off the volume, instead i use the fezz parka mod, connecting the tone pot to the output of the volume pot instead of the input. you still maintain the high end as you roll back, but the low end doesn't go away either. no parts are necessary, just moving a wire.

Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:07 pm

You might find this to your liking: SC-2/ASAT 4-Way Switching with revised Tone Control.

Also, when you get a chance, please add your G&L to our G&L Registry.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:05 pm

Craig wrote:You might find this to your liking: SC-2/ASAT 4-Way Switching with revised Tone Control.

Hope this helps.

how is that tone control revised? looks like normal

Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:49 am

louis cyfer wrote:
Craig wrote:You might find this to your liking: SC-2/ASAT 4-Way Switching with revised Tone Control.

Hope this helps.

how is that tone control revised? looks like normal

It must be that he replaces the 250k tone pot with a 1Megaohm pot. Also see his notes for V, T and C1.

Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:56 am

You guys are awesome!! Thanks to everybody for your replies! This is great little community you've got here, glad to be a part of it too now :-)

I'll be looking into all your suggestions and I just entered my guitar into the registry.
Cheers,
Chumbo