Tribute ASAT Classic - pots and things

Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:00 pm

Hi, I'm a new member - first post. Recently purchased the subject G&L Tele guitar via eBay. I have been trying to find out what rating the original capacitors and pots are in this model, which I believe was made in Korea, utilising USA components (?). I cant seem to find a schematic with ratings for the exact model description I have in the subject heading here, I mean, with all 3 words "Tribute, "ASAT" and "Classic" together.

The 2 x pots fitted to this guitar are marked 78WD 250 (tone) and 58WD 250 (volume). The single capacitor is yellow, marked "393k 50G"

While I am asking this question, any advice on the best replacement pots and caps for this model, and opinions on if changing the original pot and cap ratings brings significant improvements?

many thanks, Don in Australia.

Re: Tribute ASAT Classic - pots and things

Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:20 pm

donnyb wrote:Hi, I'm a new member - first post. Recently purchased the subject G&L Tele guitar via eBay. I have been trying to find out what rating the original capacitors and pots are in this model, which I believe was made in Korea, utilising USA components (?). I cant seem to find a schematic with ratings for the exact model description I have in the subject heading here, I mean, with all 3 words "Tribute, "ASAT" and "Classic" together.

The 2 x pots fitted to this guitar are marked 78WD 250 (tone) and 58WD 250 (volume). The single capacitor is yellow, marked "393k 50G"

While I am asking this question, any advice on the best replacement pots and caps for this model, and opinions on if changing the original pot and cap ratings brings significant improvements?

many thanks, Don in Australia.

Welcome, Don! :wave:

Only the pickups are US made and they are the exact same pickups as the US model. The other components
are provided by the factory of origin. The serial number format will indicate the country of origin. See this
post in our G&L Knowledgebase: Serial number significance.

The pots should each be 250k and the volume cap should be 200pf and the tone cap should be .047mf.
The pots should be Mighty Mite brand. I don't know if the 78WD and 58WD markings on yours indicate the stock pots.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek: