Questions about my G&L SB-2 tribute

Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 am

Hello everybody,

I am French, and I offered myself recently a G&L SB-2, tribute.

I have some questions about my bass guitar :

- I have no mention " Tribute " on the neck, but "Guitars by Leo"
- No serial number (i take a look under the heel of the neck, nothing)
- An inscription on the Jazz pickup : " PAT. 4220069 "

Somebody can say to me of when could date this tribute? She's different with all Tribute SB-2 i see. My bass is in Bordeaux Red Metallic
with Pearl pickguard.

Thanks !

Re: Questions about my G&L SB-2 tribute

Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:36 pm

neurosis wrote:Hello everybody,

I am French, and I offered myself recently a G&L SB-2, tribute.

I have some questions about my bass guitar :

- I have no mention " Tribute " on the neck, but "Guitars by Leo"
- No serial number (i take a look under the heel of the neck, nothing)
- An inscription on the Jazz pickup : " PAT. 4220069 "

Somebody can say to me of when could date this tribute? She's different with all Tribute SB-2 i see. My bass is in Bordeaux Red Metallic
with Pearl pickguard.

Thanks !

The serial number will be located on the back of the headstock. See Serial number significance post for details on the various
serial number formats.

Did you purchase it new or used? If used, it might have had the neck swapped with a US SB-2 model neck.

Perhaps you could post some photos of your bass, showing both front and back views.

Hope this helps.

Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:58 pm

Never mind - I see the question has already been answered.

Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:19 am

Some pictures. Someone talk me about Japanese model.

I bought this bass used. Seem to be imported ...

Thanks !

Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:56 am

This might be hard to date.

1. It's not the earliest Korean Made ones - they had TRIBUTE on the bridge and in big letters on the headstock - unless the bridge was replaced with a US one or later Tribute one, and the decal was removed.
2. It doesn't match the Indonesian made ones - I believe all current Tribute models have the "G&L" in white letters, not gold,and they say "Tribute Series" not "Guitars By Leo"
3. The "SB-2" looks just slightly different to my eye from the current Indonesian model.
3. It doesn't show the serial in a circular pattern closest to the tuner adjacent to the nut on the back of the headstock like the Indonesian ones.
4. Looking here: http://global.rakuten.com/en/category/c ... c_bass/gl/ and here: http://www.kurosawagakki.com/sh_bass/gl ... D%8C2000je shows some Japanese Tribute models with the Gold "G&L" but I haven't found a closeup photo that shows whether it says "Tribute" or "Guitars by Leo" on those.

So, you might really have a Japanese Tribute.

In any case it looks like someone either
a. removed the serial
b. Japanese models might not come with serial on the back of the headstock?
c. Removed all the decals to a Japan or Indonesian Tribute and added homemade decals that look quite good.
d. Added a US neck but removed that serial too.
Good luck with the mystery! You can also try bassesbyleo.com and see if anyone there knows.