ASAT tribute tru oil experiement

Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:27 pm

Well I haven't much messed with my guitars but I decided to put tru oil on my asat tribby's neck for a couple reasons. I'm one of those who thinks natural wear and tear on the guitar actually looks pretty cool but my fretboard was getting some nasty looking green stains on it so I figured some sort of protection could help it out. Second of all, I got really really lucky to get an ash body that had the wood grain so well matched and I want to give the neck a little pop so it doesn't look out of place on the guitar. I would post pics but I'm cameraless for as long as I have been a member of this site but I will make sure to get some pictures up after the neck is all done.
The tru oil is a super easy product to use but I did make the mistake the first time through of not getting rid of the excess before it started the drying process so when I went to steel wool it things ended up...well really bad. After a little light sanding I started the process again and things are looking really good. I'm really excited at what I feel as an upgrade to my guitar and I would suggest it as a relatively easy way to protect and help the look of an unfinished style neck.

Re: ASAT tribute tru oil experiement

Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:08 am

Do you have before and after pictures which you could post here?

Thanks,

Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:58 am

Yeah Craig I do have some pictures I took when I got it and as soon as it is done and I get my camera back I plan on posting the before and after. I don't think the results will be extremely drastic but I expect a noticeable difference. My camera is two hours away in Knoxville TN since I brought it down for my niece's birthday and left it. Good spelling on 'experiment' as well I must say..I was in a hurry.
Mike

Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:17 pm

Fun stuff Ched, Oil necks are very very nice, but I for one don't mind the satin on USA G&Ls, I barely notice the difference between it and all my other oiled axes.

Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:34 pm

I agree sirmyghin I really love satin finish necks. I think alot of my desire to do this was to cure my GAS. Rather than eyeing a new guitar I have found that doing little projects on the things I already have can cure that feeling of wanting something different. And it is really really fun and rewarding! Sometimes I can just polish up my guitars and clean up my amp of dust and fingerprints and feel alot better about it. Can't wait for it to be done. Just a tip to anyone who is wanting to use oil - the suggested drying time is not exactly accurate, it takes a good while to be completely solid and ready to polish...waiting....

Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:48 am

When I do an oil finish, I don't put enough down to polish at all. I like to feel the wood, not a 'finish'. So I use 3-4 coats, wiping off all excess after 15 minutes, at least 1 day dry time between coats and get something very nice to play. The wood is sealed, but I don't have to worry about it slowing me down. I never understood building up a surface with an oil finish on a guitar neck, I don't like finishes if I can help it.