Ascari

Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:20 pm

Got to take a look at the new Ascari compliments of James Fox, our region's G&L rep, while I was at the Seattle Tacoma Guitar Show last Sunday. Didn't really have time to run it through its paces with an amp but I do have some impressions to share.

Beautiful guitar, and it is very well done. The workmanship on this red demon was about as perfect as I think you can get. It is VERY attractive. The neck feels good, not too big, not too small. Nice weight, but really no heavier than any of my ash Legacys. I saw very little filler around the neck inlays. The top was gorgeous, and did I mention it was red!

Now whether G&L should be building this kind of guitar is another question, but I think the guitar will do well. It's an attractive alternative for someone who wants a 2HB guitar that's not a Les Paul. It is going to compete with some of the Ibanez, Schecter and ESP models and I hope it will stand out. It is a bit of a culture shock to see a set neck model with the G&L logo.

It would be interesting to hear how it sounds and plays head-to-head with my MIK Ibanez GR-520 Ghostriders, or some of the MIK Ibanez Artist models that have hit the market in the last few years. I think I'll be keeping my Ghostriders, but the Ascari is definitely in that general area. Another set of guitars it brought to mind was the Fender Elite and Ultra models of the late 80's and early 90's that were promoted by Robben Ford.

I think overall a good value for the money, as I would expect. Personally, I doubt I would be interested in this guitar, since I already have so meany great guitars at hand. I can't see buying an upscale USA-made version, either, not with ten LPs in my closet. But it is a solid entry into this field, and I think they have a lot of potential. For a guy that plays an ASAT or a Legacy and wants a Gibbie-type guitar without spending an arm a and a leg for a ten-songs-per-night guitar--it could be a PERFECT choice.

I am going to be very interested in how it is marketed, and to see how and if it will get reviewed by some of the Guitar mags, like Vintage Guitar, Guitar Player and Guitar World.

Bill