Just Announced: the new Ascari GTS and Fiorano GTS ...

Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:40 pm

Dave just posted this on G&L's Facebook page:

G&L Musical Instruments
Check out the new Ascari GTS and Fiorano GTS, the first set-neck models from G&L. Designed by Paul Gagon and Grover Jackson, these models are available first in our Tribute Series range and we've already started shipping them. Get the full story at http://www.glguitars.com/ascari-fiorano/index.asp - Dave

Ascari GTS

Fiorano GTS

Read all about them here: Ascari and Fiorano models

Re: Just Announced: the new Ascari GTS and Fiorano GTS ...

Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:57 pm

I hate to piss on the parade, but I'm really struggling to find something I like about these two

Just my 2c.

Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:59 pm

I like the 24-fret idea on the Fiorano GTS. The bridge, though... I'd rather it went into the body instead of the tailpiece. Or better yet, a re-visit to Leo's fine tuning vibrato with a DFV-X!

Cheers,

Will
Last edited by willross on Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:30 pm

I'm with Blarg. I was afraid I would need to figure out how to buy a new dream toy...

Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:23 pm

Nothing for me either in this one. ToM's are something I really dislike, and those ones don't even look recessed (meaning larger neck angle, also not something I am fond of). Can't shim em slight (for a small angle) like a bolt on. Toggle over blade... A relatively non G&L headstock. Then demoing popularity on the import model, doesn't seem wisest, imo. The hint at going after the G-100 there but missed in my mind. At least the 24 fretter is long scale, only plus I can see. I'll shelf it with the serial plates I guess.

Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:59 pm

Hmmmm...
Don't really mind the set-neck and the headstock. But you gotta have a DF bridge option!!

And as a big fan of F1, I must point out Ascari is just the chicane on the backstretch of Monza, not the name of the track. Named after '50's era Champion Alberto Ascari.....

I suppose I'd give either one a try if I was looking for something along the lines of an SG or Melody Maker....

Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:33 pm

fairly standard modified s-type body that we've seen from many makers including Fender, etc. this makes sense as a Tribute series and i'd venture to say it could be positioned as an upscale Tribute line and would do very well. similar to what Fender did with their TC-90, Showmaster's and the like. i personally don't see this as a US-made model but i guess if it catches on it could be worthwhile. i agree that it needs a DF option and while we're at it a MFD (choice of 2 large or 3 small) option as well. not everyone wants a tele or strat-shaped guitar, and while us fans would probably prefer a Leo-era redux or nod to the past, you can do that just so many times before wanting to mix it up a bit. i'm glad to see BBE stretching out with this and it will be interesting to see if it opens up a new market for them. after all not everyone playing and buying G&L's are semi-geezers or GIT's and every company needs to bring in the younger blood too. :)

Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:43 pm

I don't hate them, in fact I quite like the look of the Ascari. If someone gave me one I'd most likely be happy and keep it. Nice job on the headstock. The key will be how they sound and play, and value for money in the post GFC environment.

There's some pretty stiff competition in the imported set neck, 2HB guitar segment e.g. Schecter, Ibanez, Washburn, Reverend, PRS etc. All these brands make some really nice examples. Differentiating the G&L product will be no easy task. Hammering home the Leo link may be the best bet.

Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:00 pm

jonc wrote:fairly standard modified s-type body that we've seen from many makers including Fender, etc.... i agree that it needs a DF option and while we're at it a MFD (choice of 2 large or 3 small) option as well.

Philby wrote:Differentiating the G&L product will be no easy task. Hammering home the Leo link may be the best bet.

That Leo link isn't particularly obvious in any of the appointments on these guitars, not to me anyway. To me it seems like they've distanced themselves from it. People remember Leo as an innovator. There's certainly nothing innovative about them apart from being the first of their kind with the G&L mark on them.

What I can't understand is why they haven't gone with the saddle lock bridge on this one or, more disappointingly, the Korina Collection? That bridge is infinitely better than the tune-o-matic.

The shape of Ascari GTS is kind of nice.

Dunno about the names....

Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:35 pm

They are nice, but I do not see myself buying one of these.
Is there anyone on this board going to? I'm curious...

Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:58 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:
What I can't understand is why they haven't gone with the saddle lock bridge on this one or, more disappointingly, the Korina Collection? That bridge is infinitely better than the tune-o-matic.

The shape of Ascari GTS is kind of nice.

I agree heartily as I haven't found a Tune-o-matic I have liked and if there are two things that make a G&L oh so uniquely G&L is the bridge (Saddlelock or DF) and the Pickups (notably the MFD PuP)

but that being said Leo was an innovator (and for G&L this is an innovation) more than a few great minds have worked on this project, the pickups were designed in house (if not also built in house) thus making them G&L

pickups IMHO, also the Ascari GTS has started to grow on me and if the USA models offer a full choice of bridges (Saddlelock, TOM, DF and a bigsby would be killer) as well as the regular full range of options to make it

uniquely yours.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:01 am

That Leo link isn't particularly obvious in any of the appointments on these guitars, not to me anyway.

Absolutely true, but the marketing blurb draws the long bow between the new guitars and some old Leo drawings of the G-200. That's all I was getting at really. :)

Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:38 am

OOOOF. Why use a set neck? I thought that G&L was a big proponent of the bolt-on? I'd want one If I could buy one with a saddlelock and without the flametop. I think I would rather have a new G-200.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:26 am

As others have said, I don't find anything particularly appealing about either of these Tribute models. Sorry.. :shocked028:

Are these going to be part of the USA line in the future?

I also noticed that neither is offered in a LH model :(

Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:30 am

I hope the USA models have the saddle lock bridge, that's what's in the original diagram.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:48 am

To echo other commenters, there's nothing special about this guitar. It's an overseas Strat/Les Paul hybrid of the kind manufactured by so many other companies. The Ascari is pretty, the Fiorani not so much. If these were made in America, priced in the same range as the Legacy and built as well, they might create an interesting option for those of us who want a Gibson-style guitar for hard rock and the blues.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:58 am

:?: :?: :?: :?: :yawn: -- Darwin

Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:07 am

blargfromouterspace wrote:What I can't understand is why they haven't gone with the saddle lock bridge on this one or, more disappointingly, the Korina Collection? That bridge is infinitely better than the tune-o-matic.

All the ToM's popping up lately really do confuse the hell out of me. Uncomfortable, limitted adjustment bridges that thye are. The Saddle lock is actually one of the comfiest bridges I have ever played, I don't generally anchor on the bridge, but when I do I prefer not getting stabbed by the saddles. I can see maybe wanting to expand your market base, but treading into those waters is a risky game as that market is heavily saturated.

There are some great bridges out there, the wrap around resomax (graphtech), the Hannes, and the Saddle Lock. ToMs are a thing of the past, or should be.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:30 am

G&L does Schecter ? No appeal for me personally.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:56 am

I really like the look of the Ascari. I like the fact that G&L has come up with something different. I appreciate them taking Leo's design and giving it a modern look. I would be interested in trying one out, and if it feels and sounds as good as it looks, count me in!

Just my opinion!
Dave

Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:46 am

astutzmann wrote:I hope the USA models have the saddle lock bridge, that's what's in the original diagram.

Totally with Alf here. To me it is interesting how non-G&L these these guitars are. Beyond the headstock, there is not much commonality between the drawing shown and the guitars shown. Contours are different, 2 controls instead of the G-200 like 4 on a cloud shaped plate, different location for the selector switch, no MFD pups, the bridge, etc. etc. To claim a link between the newly discovered drawing and these guitars seems a bit of a stretch to me but that has never been a problem for marketing people ;) And of course it mirrors PRS's approach of producing to similar guitars with different scale lengths, e.g. SC250 vs. SC245. And maybe that is the market G&L is after

I hope that if an US made set neck instrument is made, it is indeed more conform the original drawing.

- Jos

Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:51 am

Didn't they just launch the "birthplace of bolt-on" slogan :confused0007:

I'm with most everyone else here, doesn't really do it for me. I'd have much preferred the G100/200; body shape, bridge, control layout, etc. all more interesting and original looking than these two models. As others have said saddle lock bridge and mfd option, two things only G&L can offer, is a good place to start if you want to differentiate them from the innumerable versions of this same guitar that are already out there.

I'm with Darwin :yawn:

-Dave

Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:29 pm

Guess I'm in the minority here...I like 'em!! If I was in the market for an import, dual humbucker guitar, I'd definitely be giving these some consideration. I like the looks and definitely hope to try one out sometime. What would really grab my attention would be if they were to have the option of a Floyd Rose. I'm not enough of a shredder to spend what an US-made shredding machine would cost, but perhaps a quality import! :think:

The one complaint I might make is it looks like the necks are painted, and I really dislike painted necks. I put up with it on my Les Paul Studio because I like the guitar in all other respects. Though this would be a poly finish as opposed to lacquer, and it's possible it's actually the lacquer that makes the neck feel sticky, and not so much that it's been painted.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:19 pm

To echo Muleya and as I've said earlier, I'd give the Ascari consideration if I were looking for a dual humbucker (especially if it was US-made and priced in the same range as the Legacy, because that would be a steal in terms of quality). However the connection with George Fullerton's design is tenuous and not very good marketing. G&L has a good thing going in terms of attracting players who want a George and Leo bolt-on experience.

There's a certain snobbery about set-neck electrics but some players justifiably prefer them (everyone has a different take on what works with one's hands, after all) and a good shop that produces a Strat/Paul hybrid can certainly build a clientele. Perhaps the best thing for BBE would be to create a parallel brand and market the connection to G&L quality rather than to George and Leo themselves. Brand X by BBE, Brand X by G&L, or Brand X - brought to you by the makers of G&L, would promote the unique characteristics of this new line, all the while maintaining a connection to legendary G&L quality. Also, if marketed right, an entirely new brand would also call attention to the existing G&L line of instruments without compromising its unique selling feature, i.e. updated versions of classic George and Leo designs.

I'm not a fan of the G100/G200 body, so I can't say that I'd prefer George's design to the current one. I think BBE may well produce a hit with these new guitars but the company needs to position these two instruments as part of another brand.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:40 pm

Designed for the Tribute line?... does look like it.
Slightly depressing marketing-reality memo, but if it feeds cashflow to the parent company, hopefully it's OK?
Just not a player's-instrument step forward in Leo terms here that I can see. I'd expect a Cantrell to send this concept running for cover.
I'm very much with Blarg on this - hate to piss, etc, but struggling!

Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:58 pm

I like this shot better:

If it comes in LH, I will get one...

Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:16 pm

SouthpawGuy wrote:G&L does Schecter ? No appeal for me personally.

Yeah, I had a similar reaction. I had my hopes up for a set-neck USA made G-100. That would have been cool. These? I have no idea what I'm looking at. :confused0007:

Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:43 pm

I bought the tribute Invader XL to try the 1 11/16" neck which I love.
I'm playing my tribute invader more than my USA Legacy and I was thinking
of upgrading to the USA Invader XL.

Craig - any word on when the USA Fiorano GTS will ship and what pickups
will be in the USA model? Is the Tribute Fiorano GTS's MAP close to the
Tribute ASAT deluxe?

Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:45 pm

Check out the Edisun music video I just posted over on the G&L audio and video clips sub-forum: Edisun music video:Tribute Ascari ....

Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:55 pm

jwebsmall wrote:I bought the tribute Invader XL to try the 1 11/16" neck which I love.
I'm playing my tribute invader more than my USA Legacy and I was thinking
of upgrading to the USA Invader XL.

Craig - any word on when the USA Fiorano GTS will ship and what pickups
will be in the USA model? Is the Tribute Fiorano GTS's MAP close to the
Tribute ASAT deluxe?

Only the Tribute versions are shipping now. I'm sure the same pickups will
be used in the US models and perhaps some optional ones as well, like is done
with the F-100, ASAT Deluxe / Semi-Hollow, Invader XL / Deluxe, and Legacy HB2.

I don't know what the MAP pricing is.

I will try and find out more when I visit the factory tomorrow.

Stay tuned.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:24 pm

Doesn't do it for me either.
I won't feel left out not buying one.

Agreed on the "Market saturation" comment.
No one mentioned the scale length. Shredders don't do 24 3/4.
The most annoying thing was watching the video and trying to see the new G&L guitar. I now have a headache. Thanks.

Where is my 12 string?

Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:04 pm

Saw GTS and was thinking something with the panache of a Porsche GTS and got this. A bit disappointed.

Don't know which market it is for and no nipple so not for me. But, as they say, some like vanilla and some like chocolate. Always glad to see the G&L boys are looking for new ideas.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:50 pm

The tribute series are superior to any other imports at
their price point IMO. My tribute Invader XL beats everything
in its class. So going head to head with Schecter imports isn't going
to be a problem at all for a G&L tribute.

Instead of going head to head with Fender in the youth import
market where peer pressure makes the kid stand out like a sore
thumb if Fender isn't written on the headstock, the Ascari and Fiorano
will compete with the likes of Dean, Schecter, Ibanez, etc.
Since these other guitars are not iconic like the LP, Tele, and Strat it would
be just as easy to pickup a G&L Ascari or Fiorano and try playing it
along side the other brands. When customers do it will be no contest.

Also smaller retailers will risk far less by stocking an Ascari than they
would stocking a tribute ASAT for example. The local boutique guitar
shop where I bought my USA Legacy refuses to stock tributes. They
have a hard enough time selling USA G&L's. Everytime I'm in there
I see the guys (adult weekend gig warriors) coming in going down
the rack trying the teles and come to the G&L's and skip right over
them without even giving them a try. Every time I've been there
I've asked some of these guys to try the G&L ASAT I'm playing
and tell me what they think. These ASAT's have been there
all summer. Last weekend I went in and 3 of the ASAT's were
sold! Most people aren't going to try something new if they are
already stuck in a rut.

The tribute Ascari and Fiorano are likely to be gateway guitars introducing
the G&L line to a lot more young players especially when more local
dealers are willing to stock them. Younger and also less skilled players
usually gravitate to short scale guitars and use lots of distortion to cover
up for their lack luster performances. The tribute Ascari is going to be on
a level playing field in this market and do very well IMO.

Heck I think they are both beautiful. I've been thinking of a LP studio,
LP DC, or ES-339 for some time but I would much rather have a USA Ascari
solid or semi-hollow for sure! I know the build quality will be stellar and have
that feel only a USA G&L has the moment you pick it up. I remember the experience
picking up the Legacy for the first time. My American Deluxe Strat didn't have this
feel. And I"m sure the same experience is going to happen picking up the USA Ascari
compared to the Gibson and Heritage (I used to own the Heritage). Also instead of
getting a BFG LP maybe a USA Ascari with a fat MFD neck pickup option would
be awesome. I think G&L is going to knock this one out of the park with the
USA Ascari (maple top, semi-hollow, f hole - awesome).

Craig next time you see Paul Gagon you might tell him I was the ham radio
and computer tech at Heathkit for 3 years in Maryland and Virginia stores.
Last edited by jwebsmall on Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:55 pm

Have been thinking about this some more. If I were going to introduce something this different (24.75, Stop Tail) which has appeal to younger kids (Gibson), I would introduce it in the Tribute line. It has good looks although a very different headstock for G&L. I don't think that it is targeted for us old geezers or for those of us that are into the American G&Ls. This is a good way to test market and certainly competes with PRS SE and is probably light years ahead of Epiphone. I wish it were available with a DF and the stop tail is a show stopper for me.-- Darwin

Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:54 pm

Darwin,

I think you are right. This is a shot across the bow of the PRS SE line.
Once kids start playing these G&L's they are going to try the USA G&L's
when they come across them and also when they graduate up to long
scale playing, single coils, etc..

John
Last edited by jwebsmall on Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:59 am

Don't know if anyone else here has had a look at the G&L facebook page, but there seems to be nothing but positivity around these two new models.

Just an observation. Make of it what you want :D

Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:28 am

The new headstock reminds me of the Larrivee RS-2/4 electrics.

The body of the Ascari reminds me of a PRS standard/custom 22.
I had a love/hate relationship with my PRS 22. I loved the form
factor and incredible sustain and clarity of note but absolutely
hated the sound of the pickups. And I never could get the bridge
to intonate. Instead of modifying the guitar which would destroy
it's resale value I surplussed it. The only other manufacturer that
has the build quality of PRS is G&L IMO. But the G&L's sound a lot
better! Even my tribute Invader XL intonates (ironically one of
the most in tune guitars I ever played in fact - I really lucked
out with this tribute Invader - it's a gem.)

Craig are the tribute Ascari and Fiorano GTS's being made in
Indonesia or somewhere else? I ask because I'm wondering
if the neck is to G&L specs for the 1 11/16" neck. Sometimes
new models (from other manufacturers) made in Asian factories
use the closest neck profile the factory already has in production
for the first new guitars rolling off the assembly line until they have
had time to retool. In other words is the neck on the Ascari destinctly
tooled for a G&L profile? Or are these new profiles?
Last edited by jwebsmall on Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:48 am

The Ascari GTS is growing on me. I hope they do well with their target demographic. I still like F- 100's.

Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:38 am

willross wrote:I like this shot better:

If it comes in LH, I will get one...

+1 - I would buy most of the tribute line if they came in LH

Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:27 pm

Upfront Guitars and several others have MAP and retail prices listed now.

Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:55 pm

It's all about the pups for me. If they sound good, I'm buying one!

Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:19 pm

Guys,
It has a Jackson look.For sales price point intro ect... Tribute is the way to go.
Needed MFD pickups and Saddle-Lock bridge IMO.
Its not for me.

Chet

Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:31 pm

The street price should be around that of a Tribute ASAT Classic.

I'll really close to ordering a Fiorano GTS.

Craig how long will be before USA versions are shipping (if ever)?
Last edited by jwebsmall on Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:03 pm

I like the Fiorano GTS but would prefer the versitility of say HSS, PTB system, 5-way switch, a Leo Fender Fine tuning bridge and locking nut, Hmmmmmm sounds about right to me. Just my opinion-----------------Donn

Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:54 pm

jwebsmall wrote:The street price should be around that of a Tribute ASAT Classic.

There will be US versions but the specs and time frame is not yet set.
As soon as more information is available, I will post.

Stay tuned.

Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:00 pm

Donn wrote:I like the Fiorano GTS but would prefer the versitility of say HSS, PTB system, 5-way switch, a Leo Fender Fine tuning bridge and locking nut, Hmmmmmm sounds about right to me. Just my opinion-----------------Donn

I suggest you contact your favorite G&L dealers and let them know what you want in the US version.
Remember it the Sales department (and dealers) that drives what the factory builds.

Hope this helps.

Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:11 pm

jwebsmall wrote:Craig are the tribute Ascari and Fiorano GTS's being made in
Indonesia or somewhere else? I ask because I'm wondering
if the neck is to G&L specs for the 1 11/16" neck. Sometimes
new models (from other manufacturers) made in Asian factories
use the closest neck profile the factory already has in production
for the first new guitars rolling off the assembly line until they have
had time to retool. In other words is the neck on the Ascari destinctly
tooled for a G&L profile? Or are these new profiles?

They are made at the factory in Indonesia. The neck is done to G&L specs
but not necessarily the same as the US #3 neck. I don't have the specifics
but will try and get them. Dean (co-webmaster and my best friend) characterized
the neck as a "shollow D" profile and a "fast" neck. Dave called it a "shredder's" neck.

Hope this helps.

Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:29 pm

Legasat wrote:It's all about the pups for me. If they sound good, I'm buying one!

Hey Gary!

It's good to see ya back on the G&LDP. :wave:

I think the pickups sound great and these guitars are available now.
You might contact Tim/Buffalo Brothers and see when they are getting some in.
Then go try them out!

Let us know what you think about them after trying them out.

Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:42 am

jwebsmall wrote:The street price should be around that of a Tribute ASAT Classic.

I see guitar adoptions has the Ascari offered at a reasonable price: http://www.guitaradoptions.com/g-l-tribute-ascari-in-trans-red.html

if you're right handed, that is. :(

Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:20 pm

I love them. I especially like the Ascari. I suspected they wouldnt get much love from the G&L faithful because they are different. But that is what I like about them. I have an ASAT Special and I think it is the perfect guitar but part of me would like a short scale double HB guitar. Until now, I would have had to buy from someone else. I have played a bunch of different guitars and always come back to G&L so I would much rather but another one instead of having to buy another brand.

What I really want is a semi hollow ASAT with an HB in the bride and MFD in the neck but I dont see the making one anytime soon.