Has anyone replaced their Tribute with an American G&L?

Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:51 am

I have a Legacy Tribute right now, and I absolutely love the guitar. I've upgraded the pickups and did a few wiring mods, and It's been my dream guitar ever since.
However, the neck has grown to buzz everywhere and I've been wondering if I should upgrade the guitar rather than have someone dress the frets. Is the difference in Wood and Neck construction really significant? Is it worth the money?

To be honest, I'd probably get an American Legacy the same color as my current Tribute and put in my current pick guard settup. I think I'm going to opt for locking Tuners, stainless steel Frets, and ask very nicely if I could get the DFS bridge installed. Does G&L offer any Nitro finishes, or a Rustic Legacy without the nicks and aging?

Thanks!

Re: Has anyone replaced their Tribute with an American G&L?

Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:08 pm

Last April, I got an ASAT Special Tribute and loved it. About a month ago, I got a USA ASAT Special to see if there was a difference and I loved it even more. My ASAT Tribute now sits in the closet. It's still a good guitar though.

Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:38 pm

I also forgot to mention that I also have a Tribute Legacy and like that guitar but not as much as the ASAT. But anyway, I recently placed an order for the USA S 500 to replace my Legacy Tribute. For me, the S 500 is an upgrade to the Legacy tribute which is a good guitar too.

Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:53 pm

I had a Tribute ASAT Classic. for some reason it didn't do it for me.I kept it for about 6 months. I traded it in for a 02 Fender Stratocaster Texas Special HB a guitar I still play a lot. It's my #2. That was about 5 years ago. Since then I run across a ASATIII that I love. Its been my #1 for a few years now. I also have a early 90's Legacy that I have owned for 7-8 years it gets almost the play time as the Strat. After having a USA G&L first I think I expected the Tribute to feel about the same. It didn't for me.
IMO... I like the USA G&Ls I probably won't buy another Tribute that's not taking away from them they are good guitars. But I have run across good used USA G&Ls for a good price, That's the way I will go from now on when I get that G&L GAS. :rolleyes:

Chet

Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:49 pm

Thanks for all the comments so far.

Ribsspare, what do you like more about the American ASAT? Are there small, subtle differences, or is it a huge difference in quality?

I can't even think about loving my guitar more than I do already, but I've seen a lot of people say it's a huge difference.

Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:01 pm

cmguitar wrote: IMO... I like the USA G&Ls I probably won't buy another Tribute that's not taking away from them they are good guitars. But I have run across good used USA G&Ls for a good price,

Chet

I agree.

It's doubtful that I will ever buy a Tribute again even though they are pretty decent. I find that USA models have that refinement that can make a significant difference for more serious playing. But of course, YMMV for some people and the Tributes may be ideal. USA guitars used can be a great bargain but even brand new, they still are affordable for the working class player who is a die hard guitar lover that does not want to pay Gibson prices. (no offense to Gibson)

Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:56 pm

Buy all means buy an American G&L. The I would check the relief on the tribute neck. If you have none or negative relief it will buzz like a Bee. Something a tweak of the truss rod would fix. Then you would have two fine guitars!-- Darwin

Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:20 am

If you have access to a plek shop they can make a $150 squier play
as well as a $2500 Fender custom shop guitar. A typical Plek setup
costs around $220. For around $45 the plek shop will scan your
Tribute's neck and show you where it is buzzing (offending frets
and/or improperly cut nut) and whether it can be minimized by truss
rod only adjustment or not. For $45 that's mighty nice to know before
you make a sell or trade-in decision. It will also reveal if the neck is
warped. If the neck is warped it's probably time to say goodbye.
It may be the weather that has thrown your Tribute for a buzz.
If that is the case the scan will tell you if they can eliminate the buzz
with a truss rod (and bridge saddle adjustment). Let the Plek shop
adjust the truss rod. They know from the scan how to optimize the
bow for the entire neck to compensate for offending frets - something
the local guitar tech without Plek can't possible know or compensate
for. If it is just one or two frets they can fix it there on the spot and
you won't have to shell out for the entire Plek job.

The USA Legacy is obviously going to be nicer, but the
Tributes are awfully good guitars. Getting rid of a guitar
because of fret buzz or action problems should be a thing
of the past now that Plek is becoming more widely available.
Of course the USA G&L's come Plek'ed. But one thing
I noticed at the local plek shop they can now do setups
without Plek'ing that are extremely good. They have learned
so much from Plek scanning they know how to do conventional
setups better and faster because they understand how
truss rod adjustments effect all over the neck from repeated
scans of the guitars they are plek'ing while iteratively making
truss rod adjustments. Also they have the previous Plek scan
if you had one so they know where the high and low frets are
(if you do seasonal adjustments). Their sense of feel is better
too because they have correlated that with the Plek scans and
absorbed that into their luthier skill set.

A Plek set up is so accurate they can set up for the particular
gauge strings you are using. For example 10's can be adjusted
lower than 9's because 9's vibrate further up and down because
of lower tension. A typical import guitar is setup at the 12th fret
with 5/64" on the low E and 4/64ths on the high E (or higher).
Because of poor truss rod adjustment and/or poorly cut nut
you can still have buzz even with the higher action. With 10's
the Plek could probably get your Tribute to 3 and 2 (i.e. 3/64" and 2/64")
without buzz. This is probably lower than you want to go in fact.
I find 4 and 3 is a good compromise and you can use that with 9's
or 10's and play hard (or with a slide) and still not buzz.

If you need an excuse to upgrade to the USA Legacy you won't
regret it for sure. But the Tribute if the neck isn't warped with
a Plek job (and perhaps new nut) will have the action of any
high end guitar. A Plek scan might be all you need to
get your Tribute playing at peak performance again.

Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:55 am

Curious what you ended up doing. If the Tribute sounded so good that it achieved "dream guitar" status, I wouldn't have done anything but get a good $60 setup. Any good guitar's going to need one or two a year, and if you've neglected that element, no wonder it's buzzing everywhere. Also, it's natural for frets to rise up a little here or there as a guitar "ages" during its first couple years. Even good guitars these days can have somewhat "green" wood. My first Tribby had a high fret, and after a full setup and a modest fret dress, it played great -- everyone who borrowed it said "Wow, so playable." So if the neck's not warped (less chance of that the older it gets), I'd have gone for a good setup before going into the uncharted territory of a brand-new guitar, even a U.S. G&L.

Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:20 am

get the frets leveled and a full setup. every guitar needs that anyway.

Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:58 pm

+1 what Darwin said. The truss rod is the most likely culprit, especially as the seasons change, and double-especially if you've changed strings to a different gauge lately.

I've got 2 Tribute ASAT's and have never felt the need to 'upgrade' to a USA model. It's all statistics, but in many cases the Tributes can hang with the USA made guitars. I'd like to see a blind test of USA vs. Tribute models one day based on (a) playability and (b) sound. With the temptation to look at the headstock label removed I think there'd be a few surprises.

Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:45 pm

The first G&L I got was a Tribute ASAT Special. Sometime later, I traded it in for a USA ASAT Special. Not because the Tribute was in any way faulty, but because I am very picky about my necks, and the Tributes are not comfortable for me. I can, however, get the neck I like from the USA made G&Ls.

I have since purchased two more Tributes as they make wonderful guitars to mess with. Change pups, change pots, stuff like that Cheap to work on.

edg

Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:24 pm

I have not 'replaced' my tribute with a USA model - I have merely added to my growing collection. I have a tribute Asat classic in 3-tone burst with a maple neck. Its a nice example and a lot of people have comented on what pretty little thing it is.

Players have had a bash on it and all are impressed with it. Then I tell them it cost me £450 brand new and many are blown away. I have had to get the frets re-dressed recently (I've had it about 3 - 4 years) which might suggest that the fretwire is cheaper (softer) in the tributes. However, it still played very well even with small pits in the frets and some very small unevenness appearing. Nonetheless, its back to new now.

I also recently purchased my pride and joy, a 2008 Spalted maple Legacy with maple neck from the custom shop. Its awsome. It is in a different league to the Tribute - but the Tribute is a damm fine guitar. It has a Plek neck, and is flawless. It is the best guitar I've ever played and I will certainly be buying more G&Ls (USA) in the future....however, I reserve the right to be wandering through my music shop and stumble across a Tribute that I might take a punt on.

I'm no snob, the Tributes are excellent for me (I do not play professional, and am not in a band) - but the USA model is just a treat that puts a smile on my face every time I play it.

A Tobacco sunburst Legacy with vintage tint / gloss neck is next on the list.