l-2000 tribby upgrades?

Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:42 pm

I have a l-2000 tribute bass and i wanted to know what parts I needed to replace to make it as close to it's US cousin. I really like the playability of it but just want a little more quality out of it. Where can i get them, and who should I let do it? :shocked028:

Re: l-2000 tribby upgrades?

Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:57 pm

Hi Tommy,

There really isn't a lot you can do to improve your bass. The pups that are in it are made in the USA. Everything else is sourced in Asia. So changing the saddles is not going to be easy, because they are not exactly the same size as the USA made saddles. Little things like that.

The two things that you can change are the nut and pots. I would start with the nut, by taking it to a local luthier. Ask your friends for who does good work. Talk with the luthier about material options & tone. As for pots, that's a fair bit of work with a soldering iron, and I am not 100% sure you would get your $$'s worth.

Keep in mind that the Tribby's are well made guitars, and don't need a lot of work to sound good.

Take care,

edg

Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:00 pm

thanks

Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:10 pm

guitar_ed wrote:Hi Tommy,

There really isn't a lot you can do to improve your bass. The pups that are in it are made in the USA. Everything else is sourced in Asia. So changing the saddles is not going to be easy, because they are not exactly the same size as the USA made saddles. Little things like that.

The two things that you can change are the nut and pots. I would start with the nut, by taking it to a local luthier. Ask your friends for who does good work. Talk with the luthier about material options & tone. As for pots, that's a fair bit of work with a soldering iron, and I am not 100% sure you would get your $$'s worth.

Keep in mind that the Tribby's are well made guitars, and don't need a lot of work to sound good.

Take care,

edg

I agree with Ed. However, on the pot replacements, you will probably need to have the cavity routed out (deeper) to make
room for the bigger USA style pots. I don't really know if you are going to hear much difference after this change, either.

Assuming you bought the bass new from an authorized dealer, I would recommend waiting
until the 2 year warranty period has expired before making any irreversible changes.

Hope this helps.