Do I need locking tuners for a Legacy Tribute?

Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:23 am

Hi everyone,

I'm going to purchace a new Legacy Tribute. Would you recommend to buy locking tuners for that?

Thanks!

Re: Do I need locking tuners for a Legacy Tribute?

Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:18 am

Kopfschmerzen wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm going to purchace a new Legacy Tribute. Would you recommend to buy locking tuners for that?

Thanks!

I think you should play it for a while and after a few string changes,
see if you really need locking tuners or not.

Hope this helps.

Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:34 am

There are no locking tuners to be installed without drilling new holes in a Tribute S-500, and I guess this applies to the Legacy too. You should take this into account.
I installed the third trem spring and the trem works quite well, no need for locking tuners so far.

Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:59 am

I am of the opinion every guitar could benefit from locking tuners. I also don't bulk at drilling to install them if need be (even on USA or such, I have drilled on some of my custom shops).

Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:58 pm

The key advantage to locking tuners is in the speed that they can be restrung, though they do provide some advantage for those who use the vibrato bar for deep bends.

If you properly wrap a Fender vintage-style split-post tuner, you will have essentially locked the string to the post. Even the eye-through post tuners can be very stable, provided the wrap is done correctly. It is rare for me to have to tune during a set with any of my DF-Vibrato equipped USA G&Ls, whether they have Sperzels or schallers; locking or split-post tuners.

I do recommend using a nut lube--I have found the Big Bend's Nut Sauce to work very well in the nut slots, and I even add a VERY tiny bit on the top of the saddles. I also use Fender Super Bullet strings and I believe that the Bullet end does improve tuning stability.

It seems to me that the knife edges of the bridge plates take a while to seat against the posts. A couple hours of gentle quavering should do the trick; but remember, if you change the bridge height, you may need to go through the "mating process" again before the vibrato is stable.

Good luck, and enjoy that new guitar!

Bill

Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:53 am

Thanks guys,

I really have to try the guitar first :) I don't plan to abuse tremolo too much so hopefully factory tuners will work.

Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:17 am

Well, I've got the guitar. It is very nice but this thing does go out of tune after a single deep dive with a tremolo arm. It's OK for now, but what can I do to improve the situation? If locking tuners help, what brand/model do you recommend for the tribute legacy? I don't mind drilling a little hole for a good reason.

Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:57 am

In my case, installing the 3rd spring and using teflon oil on the nut really improved the situation.
I replaced the string tree with one from Graph Tech.
New strings should be also properly stretched.

Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:24 pm

I have an Indonesian made G&L S-500 Tribute that I wanted to add Schaller tuners to. I designed a brass jig to drill the holes for the anti-rotation pins on the back of the Schallers (will work for both the regular and locking type tuners). The jig uses self-centering screws to guarantee perfect alignment in the holes and with the edge of the headstock. My S-500 was made in 2010 and has 26.5mm hole spacing (don't know if they all have this spacing). A 2.5mm bit is used to drill the holes for the pins.

Here are some photos taken after I had already drilled the holes for the first four tuners...

Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:09 am

jgarnold wrote:I have an Indonesian made G&L S-500 Tribute that I wanted to add Schaller tuners to. I designed a brass jig to drill the holes for the anti-rotation pins on the back of the Schallers (will work for both the regular and locking type tuners). The jig uses self-centering screws to guarantee perfect alignment in the holes and with the edge of the headstock. My S-500 was made in 2010 and has 26.5mm hole spacing (don't know if they all have this spacing). A 2.5mm bit is used to drill the holes for the pins.

Here are some photos taken after I had already drilled the holes for the first four tuners...

those are not locking tuners.

Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:28 am

louis cyfer wrote:those are not locking tuners.

Yes, but that tool works for both Schaller types. ;)

Cool, but I would give the paper template a try, which normally comes with the tuner.

Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:59 am

>those are not locking tuners.

I never said that they were locking tuners, but both types of Schallers use the same pin on the backside (in the same relative location).

The holes need to be drilled to within 0.2mm accuracy if you want the tuners to fit properly. Good luck trying to do that with a paper template. Not to mention that all of the holes need to be drilled parallel to the edge of the headstock, perfectly straight, and to the proper depth.

-Jeff

Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:38 am

Hey Jeff,

Nice looking jig. When I first saw the picture I was reminded of transistor radios of yore. The 'volume' and 'tone' knob on the front of the headstock had me thinking of these things right away ;)

BTW, maybe you can get some money of your idea and sell the jig design to Stewart-MacDonald! Or start your own business of course ...

- Jos

Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:46 pm

jgarnold wrote:>those are not locking tuners.

I never said that they were locking tuners, but both types of Schallers use the same pin on the backside (in the same relative location).

The holes need to be drilled to within 0.2mm accuracy if you want the tuners to fit properly. Good luck trying to do that with a paper template. Not to mention that all of the holes need to be drilled parallel to the edge of the headstock, perfectly straight, and to the proper depth.

-Jeff

nice looking jig for sure. i let my tech do this stuff, he has a jig for this.

Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:37 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:BTW, maybe you can get some money of your idea and sell the jig design to Stewart-MacDonald! Or start your own business of course ...

I guess, for being perfect and for commercial use, it should be somehow adjustable to match different distances of the tuner holes.

I would highly prefer such a tool against a paper template, but I have no possibility to build one.

Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:14 pm

>...it should be somehow adjustable to match different distances of the tuner holes.

Absolutely!! I'm working on it.

-Jeff

Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:12 am

Miles Smiles wrote:
yowhatsshakin wrote:BTW, maybe you can get some money of your idea and sell the jig design to Stewart-MacDonald! Or start your own business of course ...

I guess, for being perfect and for commercial use, it should be somehow adjustable to match different distances of the tuner holes.

I would highly prefer such a tool against a paper template, but I have no possibility to build one.

You can buy a Guitar tuner pin placement jig at Stew Mac. It looks just like the one you made only it is also used to place turner pin holes for Schaller/G&L Schaller/Fender; Sperezel tuners.