HONESTLY, how bad are the tributes?

Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:26 pm

I know this is a g&l fan site, but im looking for honesty. I have the chance to get a jazzmaster and i've wanted one for a very long time. I also really want an ASAT Special, but I can't afford both. However, I can afford the Jazzmaster and the Tribute special. How do the tributes stack up as far as build quality? I know they have the same pickups as the US models, but how are the necks and bodys?

Re: HONESTLY, how bad are the tributes?

Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:03 pm

Good question! Put it this way... If my US made G&L is a 10, this Tribute is a <BLANK>

Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:16 pm

The Indonesian made Tributes are very good. I don't know what your consider to be the deciding factor in your purchases, but I can tell you that on the bass side, the L-2000 Tribute bass is a very respectable instrument. I have gigged with mine and it does the job very well. I also own several USA made G&Ls. There is a difference but I would rec. a Tribute to someone in your predicament without hesitation.
I like the neck on my Tribute bass and the body has a flawless black finish. Its a basswood body, but who cares? I like the tone of this bass.

AFAIK the guitars are even better relative to the US models.

Try em out and see for yourself.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:23 pm

The Tributes are not bad at all IMO. Some of the hardware is a bit cheaper to keep costs down (tuners, nut, electronics) but it doesn't make them a bad guitar. If it really bothers you, those things are easily replaced anyway. I have a Tribute ASAT Special and I love it. It is 2-piece swamp ash body and maple neck. Mind you, I tried a whole wall of Tributes and picked the most resonant one with the best feeling neck. Some people would be bothered by the headstock having 'Tribute' on it, and no 'Made in USA' sticker, but for me it is the perfect tool for its purpose - a comfortable, reliable, great sounding cheapy guitar that can get a bit banged up from gigging.

I also have a USA made G&L, but the Tribute is not a poor cousin to the US model.

Only you can decide though. :D

Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:45 pm

I've owned 2 Tributes, both Korean-made, an L2500 bass and now an L2000.

I've also played one Indonesian L2000 (I'm not primarily a bass player but I can/do play some).

The 2 Tributes I own/have owned were very nice and were exceptional values for the ~$450-500 I paid for them. The Indonesian was not as good a fit with my taste though people I respect have said the overall quality & consistency of the Indonesian Tributes is a touch above the Korean ones.

I own several US-made G&Ls: an S-500; SB-2; Z-3 SH; ASAT Special SH w/ Bigsby; and a Bluesboy.

If my US made G&Ls are a 10, then the 2 Tributes are at least a 7+ if you don't factor in cost. If you factor in bang for the buck I'd say they're at least an 8+ ... I would not hesitate to play a bass gig with my Tribute L2000.

Play them and see what you think. They are not cheap, low quality instruments IMO.

Jon

Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:53 pm

My first question is--do you really want a JazzMaster? I had wanted one for a very long time, back in the day--and was fortunate enough to spend a few days with one--and quickly decided that it was not for me. They do have some quirks--there are reasons why Strats are the number one guitar in the world and JM are down around 526. Pristine vintage JMs are hard to find--because everyone feels the need to modify them. Got to admit, they do have a certain rebellious image for the punk rock crowd, but in IMO, there are better guitars.

If you're sure you want an ASAT Special (and I think as ASAT Special would be able to do everything that a JM could do), and you want a vibrato--one that actually works--custom order a USA-made ASAT Special with the Dual Fulcrum Vibrato.

If you still want the JM, then I would get the USA ASAT Special (perhaps even find a used one) and then find one of Fender's stripped down versions of the JM, like the Jag-Master. You'll have the look you want, without all the heartache and hair-pulling.

Good luck!

Bill

Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:41 pm

Ya bill it's not about the look, its the sound. You can't get any other guitar to sound like a jazzmaster. The extra string length behind the bridge just adds this character to the sound, plus the pickups can go from beautiful cleans to Growling Distortion. It also has the best tremolo of any guitar. Just listen to Band of Skulls, Russell Marsden is one of my favorite guitarist and his sound just exemplifies the jazzmaster sound and range. I'm a bit on the smaller side and the guitar is a little awkward, so i know what you mean, but there is not other guitar like it.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:34 pm

TvontheRadiohead wrote:However, I can afford the Jazzmaster and the Tribute special.

Looks like the answer is right there, get both. :thumbup:

If you like the tribute you can order an American made one at a later date and until then you can figure out on the tribute what you like and what you don't like about G&Ls.

You can also sell the tribute at a later time if it isn't your cup of tea.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:54 pm

Ya i think that's what im gonna do... I'm sorry but there's no G&L that will get me this sound http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FmTVDfm ... re=related :luv:

Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:00 am

I'm sure being Phil X would probably help too ;)

And try that ASAT, who knows you might like some of the tones that can come out of it.

They are all Leos creations right?

Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:09 am

My WR Signature model Tributes are between 8.5-9.0 of my USA made model.

I also have a Tribute ASAT Special semi-hollow, and it's BETTER than many of my USA ASAT's because of its light weight.

Will Ray

Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:38 am

To paraphrase MJ, "They bad, they, bad, they bad".

I mean that in a positive way.

Have owned a guitar and bass, and the Tribute line is an excellent bang for the buck.

Jamie

Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:59 am

Thanks guys... I'll let you know what happens :evilgrin:

Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:46 am

I posted this back in April:

I want to say hello ...

I wanted to say hello and after posing for a while and considering all the angles, including purchase price and even a used mid-90’s ASAT Classic for $600, I finally ordered my Tribute Series Bluesboy SH with Sunburst finish and received a 10% discount since the music store was having an anniversary sale in April. I waited only a week and once I got over the physical newness of it have found that I love to play it. Of course it’s brand new, which means the frets are right up there and it’s properly set up from the factory. Initially, I have to say that I found that the edging paint of f-hole showed some ever so slight over/under paint spray inconsistency but that was it and hardly noticeable. Just the same it is beautifully detailed and a real looker. Hardly a factor I found out.

Just this morning I plugged into my Marshall VS100 and boy did that humbucker sound the sweetest ever. I’d been playing it through my Fender Blues Jr NOS since taking it home 3 weeks ago and hadn’t experienced that pickup in quite the same way. I can’t wait to get back up playing.

I wanted to share this news with all of you. My G&L has been registered and photographed. (Check the Gallery and search for “Rick”. You’ll see it lying on the bed with the tag still on it the day I took it home.)

The Fender MIM Strat (Deluxe Players) I bought back in 2005, though it’s always sound good, came with slight blems here and there in the finish. I even told myself at the time that I should be happy and not to expect more for the money since it was an import. With this new Bluesboy I don’t have the same feeling since there doesn’t seem to be anything to “accept” about its build quality. It’s well done and I thank G&L very much for making me feel good about my purchase. The gig bag is first class!

That’s all I’ve got for now. Glad to be part of the G&L Band!

BluzDaddy

Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:52 pm

I have a 2000s ASAT made in Korea and I love it. I recently got a 1990s used USA ASAT and I like it a little better because to me, it sounds warmer and a bit creamier in tone. The neck on the USA ASAT feels smoother and less clunky but some people may prefer the Tribute necks. Personally, I find the USA necks to feel more refined. Both Tribute ASAT and USA are both clear gloss ash wood and the USA wood has a nicer wood grain pattern.

However, both USA and import ASATs in my collection are fundamentally the same. I just prefer my USA because it is more refined in tone, feel and looks with the body wood grain. I still adore my Tribute however and will use it as a back up and I will still use it as a practice guitar.

For the price, especially used, it is a killer bargain. Even brand new, the price is awesome. The Tributes have spectacular build quality. Rock solid and tough.

Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:54 am

From my recent experience with purchasing a new Tribute ASAT Special, I'm very impressed at the comparison to USA made G&Ls. The neck feels great... actually more "worn in" silky feel than my 6 year old US Legacy! It's odd, but with a blindfold test, I'd probably guess the Tribute neck was the "made in USA" item.

Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

I've owned perhaps 40 electric guitars in my life time.

I now own only one electric guitar - a USA G&L.

If G&L only made tributes my guitar would still be a G&L.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:23 pm

Today I met Tribute Asats for the first time. The Classic was literally unbelievable value; nothing else at the price, here in the UK, gets even vaguely close to how this responds like a really good Tele.
Sadly, I still didn't instantly begin to sound just like Bill Frissell or Clarence White, but I had a damn good time. Fantastic, guys, nice one!

Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:33 pm

I´m unhappy owner of G&L L2500 (indonesian made)... Uh...it´s horrible bass. The pickups polepieces are off axis with the strings... very very bad.(the B string is muddy and unpleasant, only the E strings is acceptable) Speaking of eq...uh, no mids, poorly highs and weak bass... A inspection in the cavity controls reveals a bad electronic job - the circuit is wrapped in cheap rubber. Change a battery is a pain (must remove 6 bolt - thin and ugly plastic cover). The nut is acceptable... the 6 bolt joint is not so elegant (there are washers- no plate) The neck is bulky (in a bad way - maple is little bit mmmm grey) For some reason, sound hollow as if there were no transfer between neck and body. The bridge, however, is beautiful... like a piece of art. I found that the ferrules are very tight with the strings ball ends... The bass is cosmetically average. I'm disappointed and sad, this does not do justice to the spirit of Leo... sorry for my english, guys! Regards

Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:26 am

radiogaga wrote:I´m unhappy owner of G&L L2500 (indonesian made)... Uh...it´s horrible bass. The pickups polepieces are off axis with the strings... very very bad.(the B string is muddy and unpleasant, only the E strings is acceptable) Speaking of eq...uh, no mids, poorly highs and weak bass... A inspection in the cavity controls reveals a bad electronic job - the circuit is wrapped in cheap rubber. Change a battery is a pain (must remove 6 bolt - thin and ugly plastic cover). The nut is acceptable... the 6 bolt joint is not so elegant (there are washers- no plate) The neck is bulky (in a bad way - maple is little bit mmmm grey) For some reason, sound hollow as if there were no transfer between neck and body. The bridge, however, is beautiful... like a piece of art. I found that the ferrules are very tight with the strings ball ends... The bass is cosmetically average. I'm disappointed and sad, this does not do justice to the spirit of Leo... sorry for my english, guys! Regards

Sorry to hear you are unhappy with your Tribute L-2500 bass. :(

I think you might be able to easily fix the string alignment, which might also help with the overall sound, by following this post: String alignment issues and a simple cure.

If my suggested post does not help and you bought it new from a G&L dealer, I suggest you take it back to them and let them know of your displeasure.
There may be some issues which the warranty would cover which they could help get resolved.

Can you also post some photos of this bass, including some showing the details you describe? (Tutorial: Posting photos)

Where are you located?

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:22 am

[thumb=]Image[thumb=][/thumb]Image[/thumb][thumb=]Image[/thumb][thumb=]Image[/thumb][thumb=]Image[/thumb][thumb=]Image[/thumb][thumb=]Image[/thumb][thumb=]Image[/thumb][thumb=][thumb=][/thumb]Image[/thumb][thumb=]Image[/thumb]

Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:56 pm

String alignment with the pickup polepieces seems pretty good to me...

Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:12 pm

really? pretty good??? Mmmmm....

Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:36 pm

HowlinWolf wrote:String alignment with the pickup polepieces seems pretty good to me...

radiogaga wrote:really? pretty good??? Mmmmm....

Yes, I do agree with HowlinWolf.

radiogaga, I've looked at your photos and I don't see anything out of place. The pre-amp circuit board is intentionally wrapped in a sheet of rubber to
protect it and keep it from shorting against the exposed pots and switches. I see that you replaced the original battery, which also has a wrapping of
rubber, to make sure it is snug in the battery cavity. Replacing the battery is a good idea, so that you have eliminated a possible low or dead battery.
Have you checked all the switch settings, to insure they are working as expected? I'm not a bass player, so I had to look at the L-2500 Controls Diagram,
to see all the different settings. If those are all working, then I would focus on the balancing the strings to the individual pickup pole pieces, raising or
lowering them to your specific preferences.

Did you purchase this bass new or was it a previously owned bass? You had mentioned some greying on the neck but I cannot see this from your photos.
BTW, the neck finish is satin poly and over time will gloss up some with use. Also, what is the first 4 digits of the serial number?
The first two are the year of production (such as 09 for 2009) and next two are the month of production (01-12).

If none of this is helping, please do contact your G&L dealer and show them the issues/concerns you have with your bass. And again, where are you located?

:ugeek:

Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:39 am

Absolutely nothing wrong with that string alignment over pole pieces.

Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:00 am

0804... is used (I bought it through Ebay). I´m from Argentina. Dear Craig: I did all the settings I could (including the saddle lock bridge, restrung, heights of pickups and more) but I could not get a satisfactory results. Saddly, this bass is not for me... Regards

Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:13 am

radiogaga wrote:0804... is used (I bought it through Ebay). I´m from Argentina. Dear Craig: I did all the settings I could (including the saddle lock bridge, restrung, heights of pickups and more) but I could not get a satisfactory results. Saddly, this bass is not for me... Regards

Sorry you're not liking it. I think basses, even more than guitars, have to 'feel' right. I've loved every G&L guitar I've played, but haven't liked any of the basses simply because they don't hang on me the way my main bass does, or my hand doesn't end up in the right places (i.e., nowhere to rest my picking hand). Good luck finding one you want to hang on to!

Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:19 am

I have both USA G&L's and a bunch of Tributes and in my opinion the Tributes are one of the best import guitars you can buy, especially for the price. They all have Leo's innovations and US pickups. USED they are a screaming deal. Great guitars!