PIckguard for ASAT Special Tribute

Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:35 am

I have a three color burst Asat Special Tribute model. I love the guitar. I cant afford a USA model otherwise I would have it in clear orange. Since I dont see my situation changing any time soon, I figured I would spruce this one up a little.

I considered buying a neck with a maple board since I prefer the looks of a maple board but have decided against it for now. I think the rosewood probably looks better with the body color and I dont want to put too much money into it. I guess if I get one for a steal I would consider it but trying to keep cost to a minimum. If I ever get a chance to get a USA, I'll order it exactly like I want it.

I am also considering putting a 4-way switch in soon. I was thinking about doing a phase switch too but have decided that if I do anything, it will just be the 4-way. Cool, inexpensive mod.

So then I was thinking that this body would look better with a black pickguard instead of the tortoise shell it came with. I love the tort on a black guitar and it doesnt look bad on this one. I just think the black would look more right. But the little bit of research I have done is telling me it is going to run $50 or so for a plastic pickguard. I guess they have to be made using the current guard as a template. There are no stock Tribute model guards out there that I can tell.

Just wondering if you guys knew of a good place to get one made for a reasonable cost, or at least the best place to get one. I know $50 isnt that much in the grand scheme of things but it seems like a lot for a regular plastic pickguard.

Not sure how good my chances are of finding someone with a Tribute Asat with a black guard that wants a tort.

Any help appreciated.

Re: PIckguard for ASAT Special Tribute

Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:45 am

Those pick-guard people are crooks. $50 for a piece of plastic which does nothing is criminal. If you have a saw and a file I'd suggest buying a blank from guitarfetish.com(.) They aren't hard to make at all. Trace your pick-guard onto the blank, cut roughly with a saw then file the edges until it's neat. Then file the angled edge smooth then rub with some fine sandpaper and you're done.

Re: PIckguard for ASAT Special Tribute

Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:59 am

Yeah, I thought about making one but didnt know how I would get the edges smooth enough to look good.

I'd rather try that than spend the money. Looks like $9 for a blank. I could get two in case I mess one up I guess and still only be at $20.

Not completely confident but still probably worth a try.

Thanks.