Comanche Tribute VS USA Comanche

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:14 pm

I have a chance to pick up a new tribute Comanche in amber burst with either rw or tinted neck for under $600. One has the mini toggle and the other the push/pull knob. I've plaid them both a little and like them. I've never played a USA version and was wondering I there was a noticeable difference in tone? I usually do tons of research before I buy but I don't have much time. The Comanche with the rw fretboard has the toggle so I'm assuming is an older model right? Both are made in indoneisa. Is there a difference other than the toggle I should know about? Under six bills is a heck of a deal right? Should I jump on it or save for a USA model?

Re: Comanche Tribute VS USA Comanche

Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:59 pm

rockworthy wrote:I have a chance to pick up a new tribute Comanche in amber burst with either rw or tinted neck for under $600. One has the mini toggle and the other the push/pull knob. I've plaid them both a little and like them. I've never played a USA version and was wondering I there was a noticeable difference in tone? I usually do tons of research before I buy but I don't have much time. The Comanche with the rw fretboard has the toggle so I'm assuming is an older model right? Both are made in indoneisa. Is there a difference other than the toggle I should know about? Under six bills is a heck of a deal right? Should I jump on it or save for a USA model?

You can tell the build month and year from the serial number on the Tribute models. See Serial number significance.
I was not aware that the Tribute Comanche had been changed to a push/pull for the expander switch.

There are other differences between the Tribute and USA Comanche:

Here are the specs for each:

USA Comanche specs:

PICKUPS 3 G&L Magnetic Field Design Z-coil pickups
BODY WOOD Alder on Standard and all solid finishes, Swamp Ash on all Premier finishes
NECK WOOD Hard Rock Maple with Rosewood or Maple fingerboard, Graph-Tech nut
NECK RADIUS 12" (304.8mm)
NECK WIDTH AT NUT 1 5/8" (41.3mm)
TUNING KEYS 12:1 ratio, sealed lubrication, adjustable knob tension
BRIDGE G&L Dual Fulcrum vibrato with chrome-plated brass saddles
CONTROLS 5 position pickup selector plus mini-toggle switch enabling additional pickup combinations of neck+bridge or all 3 pickups together, volume, PTB system
FINISH Standard finishes included
OTHER Chrome Hardware; 3-ply White pickguard; Deluxe Hardshell Tolex Case w/Fitted Interior

Tribute Comanche specs:

PICKUPS 3 Fullerton-made G&L Magnetic Field Design Z-coil pickups
BODY WOOD Swamp Ash with Flame Maple Top
NECK WOOD Hard Rock Maple with Rosewood or Maple fingerboard
NECK RADIUS 9" (228.6mm)
NECK WIDTH AT NUT 1 5/8" (41.3mm)
TUNING KEYS 18:1 ratio, sealed-back
BRIDGE G&L Dual Fulcrum vibrato with nickel plated die-cast saddles
CONTROLS 5-way pickup selector with mini-toggle enabling additional pickup combinations of neck+bridge or all three pickups together, volume control, PTB™ passive treble and bass tone controls which enable treble and bass frequencies to be cut separately and are effective on all pickups, unlike the traditional volume/tone/tone arrangement.
OTHER G&L Deluxe Gig Bag included in USA (Outside USA please contact your G&L distributor for availability)
FINISH Amberburst body with Pearl pickguard; Vintage Gloss neck

Hope this helps.