Question on my new (Used) Legacy Tribute

Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:05 am

Let me start by saying, Great website. And let me also say, now that I have a G&L at home and have been playing it for almost a week, great guitars.

I've been mostly an acoustic player since I was about 7. I've dabbled with electrics on and off, but I'm definitely more of an acoustic player. So I am sure I will ask a few questions that are stupid. I am going to ask them anyway, though, because my wife tells me I'm good at being stupid. :happy0007:

I typically use D'addarrio EXL110 for my electrics. I am curious, what strings/gauges do others use/recommend? I'm always curious what others say, because let's be honest, changing the amp or guitar costs money and gets noticed. However, strings I can sneak in the house with no one the wiser. :mrgreen:

Re: Question on my new (Used) Legacy Tribute

Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:46 pm

I use the same brand and gauge as you for the majority of my guitars. I have a couple with EXL120 (.009's) (that in all honesty I just haven't converted yet) and a couple with EXL115 (.011's) that are set-up for slide work and rhythm. My Legacy Special really started cranking when I converted to 11's and although string bending is a little harder, (power) chords have substantially more 'body' IMHO.

- Jos

Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:27 pm

Hmmm...I mostly play rhythm. I think I'll try a set of the .11's and see how it goes. I'll have to sneak up to the store again tomorrow to pick them up. :happy0007:

Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:55 pm

I use D'Addario XL strings in 9-46 or 10-46 on my Les pauls and my Gibson 335. Hardtail Ibanez guitar with the 24 3/4" scale get 9-42, same as my hardtail Music Man Sabres.

But I like the Fender 3250 9-42 Super Bullets on my DF Vibrato guitars. I think the bullet end really adds tuning stability. I will use D'Addarios, but I much prefer the Super Bullets.

Bill