Comanche tribby vs USA

Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:04 pm

The new forum is looking great guys.

My question.I'm ready to pull the trigger on a brand new tribby comanche with case as i can't justify dropping the $ on a USA model.I know the tribby has the USA Z's,the same DF vibrato and same wiring,pots,etc(right?).Non-locking tuners (i can order sperzels and drop in if need be) or graphtec nut.Ash only body,same hard rock maple neck in maple/rosewood.9"radius instead of 12".What exactly IS the difference besides neck radius,non-locking tuners and ash only body as the price difference between a tribby and USA is substantial?I have always heard the tribby comanche is great bang for the buck.Just curious and thanks ahead of time for any info. :sign0011:

Re: Comanche tribby vs USA

Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:01 am

40 views and zero responses.Thanks for the input.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:22 am

Good question. I don't know personally; but, I did find this info:

"So why the big price difference? The Tribute series of G & L guitars are their mass production versions of their original makes made in Korea. Using overseas production but the same parts typically lowers the price point of items assembled this way.

From what I’ve been able to find out in my research is that G & L actually researched doing overseas production in Japan, but Korean production quality is now on par with Japan, and costs far less to produce there. G & L also spent two years teaching the Korean facility the correct way to construct the guitars. The end result is a very high quality instrument!"

Found at: http://guitargear.org/2009/01/07/gear-review-g-l-tribute-series-comanche/

Guitar Player Mag also did a review of various imports a while back...don't rememeber the issue...but G&L was in there (I think with an ASAT) and was highly rated.

Hope that helps.

Hazy

Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:59 am

Thanks Hazy.Info is appreciated.I'm looking for any hands on comparison as well.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:00 am

Sorry, I have no experience with the Tribute series.

RickT

Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:48 am

Sorry you take things so personally. I am one that looked at this, and since I have never played the Tribby, I decided I did not have anything to contribute.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:06 pm

No sweat.I just figured somebody has played them both.I'm curious about neck profile at this point and i'm probably reading to much into as i'm sure i'll be pleased with the tribby model.

Anyway,thanks again.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:20 pm

I also don't have much experience with tribbys, but from what I gather, they are quality guitars. I may even pull the trigger on a trib bass some time. Good luck with the search!

Lates,

Connor

Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:38 pm

I have a what I believe to be a 2003 Tribby ASAT Special. It is very good quality. I wish it had better tuners (The plastic spacers break) but the tuner pins are different than my American models. I replaced the bushings with Fender bushings but I would like to find a good replacement tuner if anyone knows what would fit without redrilling the holes. The neck and paint work is flawless (Candy Red). Hope that helps-- Darwin

Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:53 pm

First, let me preface this by saying that I know NOTHING about electronics. I bought a used Tribute ASAT Classic. I took it to my guitar guy because there was a popping sound when I adjusted the tone and volume controls. He said the wiring was "junk" and replaced the pots and caps. Sounds great now. I say this all because perhaps the USA-made G&L's have better electronics.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:20 pm

I think the bridge on recent models is actually G&L 'designed' but a different manufacturing origin than the US models.

Personally, I'd be looking for used US models to get the price more in the ball park.

The Tribute is really a Cort guitar designed by G&L. You're buying a Cort and last I heard they were no longer being made in Korea but Indonesia. But I don't know for sure.

Overseas manufacturing and specs seems to shift and change at dizzying speeds.... can't keep up with it all. :shocked028:

Mon May 10, 2010 4:25 am

I know this is probably late already, but here is my experience.

I live in Mexico City, and there is a street where you can find dozens of music stores with a great variety of guitars. I recently bought a Tribute Comanche after comparing literally over a hundred guitars, and going with the intention of getting an American Standard, which I still might get at some point.

Specifically for the Comanche there was only the tribute version, but all the rest of the line of G&L was available in both Tribute and USA versions.

I thoroughly compared the USA to the Tribute: Legacy, ASAT Special and ASAT semi hollow, and in all cases the Tribute versions made in Indonesia, had a warmer and more detailed sound (Which could also mean lower output and high frequency roll-off, but they were far more pleasing to my ears), although the looks and finish of the USA made were far superior, not to say the Tribute looked cheap in any way. Actually the finish of the Tribute Comanche is really impressive, so I can only imagine the USA version.

I ended up buying the Tribute Comanche (Rosewood. The Maple was overly bright and went into overdrive really easy) and I'm very happy with it. I tried all of them in a Twin Reverb reissue. It has a strat type of sound with a bit of tele twang, but responds awesome to heavy distortion.

It is definitely in the league of the USA Strats and Teles in the 1500-2000 USD price range, but didn't hold up that well to the more expensive Strats, although the difference could not justify the 1000 USD or more in price difference.

As for the tuners, it stays in tune for long, although I don't really use the whammy bar in it that much since i don't find it that comfortable (I prefer Floyd Rose over Dual Fulcrum any day - for comfort. Not for tone).

I can almost guarantee that you'll fall in love with it if you try it, and I can hardly picture a guitar that sounds 1000 USD better that that.

Summarizing, the build quality and materials are comparable to much more expensive guitars, the sound is amazing and is very comfortable to play (To my surprise also, since I have always found flat necks more comfortable because of my classical guitar background), but I would really encourage you to find a way to try it before you buy it, since both comfort and great tone are a very subjective thing.

YMMV.

Hope this helps.
DP

Mon May 10, 2010 8:19 am

When the Tribute series first came out of Korea (same plant that made the Light Ash Teles and Strats), they had pot issues but G&L stood behind them and replaced them under warranty. Since the move to Indonesia, I haven't heard of any electronic issues mentioned on this board. The question came up about the hardware being the same as the USA models, but I don't believe that was confirmed by the factory. I have no idea if USA G&L hardware is imported or not, but since they switched to metric sizes a year or so ago it could be possible.

The Tributes I've played are good guitars, but I'll have to disagree completely with DP. I don't think they're comparable to a $1500-$2000 American Fender - not even close in my book. They're comparable to an imported Strat, or as ieso points out, a Cort. But that's ok - that's their target market.

Mon May 10, 2010 1:25 pm

Technically there are several differences between Tributes and USA G&L's. The biggest difference is in the neck radius. Tributes come with a 9.5" radius. American G&L's can be purchased either with a 7.5" or 12" radius. I think the fit and finish on an American G&L is far superior to a Tribute but that is what one should be paying for when he buys one from Fender Avenue.

It depends on your intended use and why you want to own it. If it is an investment guitar, buy American. Resale is higher on these. If you want a player that sounds ok and plays ok and can't afford an American guitar buy a Tribute.

I have a Tribute L2500. I have it because I need a bass but I don't plan to use it as a primary instrument. I'm not a bass player but I want something to use for recording and learning. This fits the bill very well. For this instrument, beautifully perfect doesn't matter. It looks ok plays well and sounds good. I'm pickier about my other guitars.

Mon May 10, 2010 9:00 pm

None of the hardware on the USA models is used on the Tributes. The bridge, pots, tuners, etc., are all locally sourced. The ONE exception are the pickups, which are made in the USA by the folks in Fullerton. If you look in the FAQs section, you will find more information on this issue.

edg

Tue May 11, 2010 12:32 am

Ches wrote:I don't think they're comparable to a $1500-$2000 American Fender - not even close in my book. They're comparable to an imported Strat, or as ieso points out, a Cort. But that's ok - that's their target market.

The wood in the Tribute Comanche is top of the line.
The factory at least claims the pickups and wood quality are the same on American and Indonesian guitars, or so I read on their website when I was weighing my decision.

The American Comanche has a dip switch and the tribute a push/pull pot, so I assume the rest of the electronics is not the same, but, replacing pots, caps and cables is a $40 mod. Tuners are definitely higher quality in American guitars, but IMHO it doesn't justify the price difference.

Would you compare the quality of American G&L to American strats?

The friend that talked me into the Comanche has a Legacy Tribute and a Mexican Nashville Tele, which I have had laying in my studio for many weeks now, so I have had the chance to closely compare them.

In concert Spanish Classical Guitars I can understand a price difference between a 2000 USD and a 5000 USD guitar (Or even Greg Sallman's that range from 10000 to 40000 USD in the used market, due to their extremely intricate design that results in incomparable loudness and tone), since they are handmade by awarded luthiers that spend a considerable amount of time choosing the wood pieces they will use for each individual part of a guitar, and spend A LOT OF TIME working on details that will GREATLY affect the sound. These guys build only a handful of instruments per year, some of them just one or two.

All electric guitars are mass-produced either by hand or machinery, and a lot of attention is given to the looks of the instrument since it will be a huge selling point (I'm not saying it doesn't cost what they charge for it, but definitely has little to no effect in the instrument's sound). Of course, to justify the price difference between their models they stuff them with cheaper electronics and get to the point of even using wood that wouldn't even make its way into a cheap piece of furniture.

This is not the case at all with G&L. They might have cut costs in finish, tuners, pots, caps and cable, in the tribute series, but the pickups, whammy system and wood quality, which really affect the sound, are up to spec with the most expensive electric guitars.

The day I see an electric guitar manufacturer with 10 to 15 huge wood blocks hanging from the ceiling of his workshop's warehouse, knocking them from every possible angle for weeks to select the wood pieces that will be part of HIS NEXT GUITAR, and hear a huge difference between instruments with exactly the same electronics, I will also believe in electric guitar luthier science, but as far as I am concerned, the differences in electric guitars above $1500 are more about finish, looks and marketing than components' quality.

Now, the vintage market is another thing, since 30 to 50 year-old wood is in its prime for guitars (As opposed to arco instruments that sound better as they age), and some of the materials used for electronics are no longer available.

Of course design (Mass of metal, neck and body and its distribution; assembly design; electronic components) makes a huge difference in electric guitars, but here budget lines have the exact same design as the flagship products.

YMMV
DP
Last edited by Dissident_penguin on Tue May 11, 2010 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue May 11, 2010 12:39 am

guitar_ed wrote:None of the hardware on the USA models is used on the Tributes. The bridge, pots, tuners, etc., are all locally sourced. The ONE exception are the pickups, which are made in the USA by the folks in Fullerton. If you look in the FAQs section, you will find more information on this issue.

edg

I stand corrected. Also the bridge. Nevertheless, it doesn't necessarily mean they are lower quality. Just different manufacture.

Tue May 11, 2010 4:58 am

guitar_ed wrote:None of the hardware on the USA models is used on the Tributes. The bridge, pots, tuners, etc., are all locally sourced. The ONE exception are the pickups, which are made in the USA by the folks in Fullerton. If you look in the FAQs section, you will find more information on this issue.

edg

Ed -
If I could find the FAQ section that deals with the instruments, I'd check it! Where the heck is it?

I know when USA G&L's used Imperial sized bridge parts they were different that the Tribute's, but since the USA models went metric, it makes me wonder.
Brian

Tue May 11, 2010 5:11 am

Dissident_penguin wrote:
Ches wrote:I don't think they're comparable to a $1500-$2000 American Fender - not even close in my book. They're comparable to an imported Strat, or as ieso points out, a Cort. But that's ok - that's their target market.

Would you compare the quality of American G&L to American strats?

I'd put USA G&L's in the same league as American Series Fenders for the most part. I think there are subtle differences that would make someone lean one way or the other - neck feel, trem differences, finish thickness, etc.

Dissident_penguin wrote:This is not the case at all with G&L. They might have cut costs in finish, tuners, pots, caps and cable, in the tribute series, but the pickups, whammy system and wood quality, which really affect the sound, are up to spec with the most expensive electric guitars.

I think the wood quality claim can be debated, especially compared to "the most expensive" electric guitars. They don't have a guy in Indonesia hand selecting the best tone wood. If they did, you'd never see a boat anchor ASAT or Legacy. You also left out attention to detail. I don't think imports get the same attention to detail as American made instruments. That definitely makes a difference in playability out of the box.

Dissident_penguin wrote: the differences in electric guitars above $1500 are more about finish, looks and marketing than components' quality.

Agreed, unless you find a shop that takes the time to select the better pieces of wood.

Tue May 11, 2010 9:41 am

Ches wrote:

Ed -
If I could find the FAQ section that deals with the instruments, I'd check it! Where the heck is it?

Brian

I see the G&L Knowledgebase now replaces the guitarsbyleo.com F.A.Q.

http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewforum.php?f=1

Tue May 11, 2010 10:28 am

Elwood wrote:
Ches wrote:

Ed -
Brian

Thanks for the link, Elwood, but it seems like that's mostly guys posting questions and opinions - nothing definitive from the factory other than a few lines that Craig posted. Based on Ed's post, it sounds like there's something official stating the hardware is different, but I can't seem to find anything along that line.

What I am finding is that the new GbL is a bit confusing!

Tue May 11, 2010 10:38 am

I see what you mean.
Time to add some info to the budding knowledgebase I guess.

Tue May 11, 2010 11:29 am

Ches wrote:
Elwood wrote:
Ches wrote:

Ed -
Brian

Thanks for the link, Elwood, but it seems like that's mostly guys posting questions and opinions - nothing definitive from the factory other than a few lines that Craig posted. Based on Ed's post, it sounds like there's something official stating the hardware is different, but I can't seem to find anything along that line.

What I am finding is that the new GbL is a bit confusing!

Hi Ches,

The guitarsbyleo.com FAQ is now the Knowledgebase, to get there go to the GbL menu bar and click on the Knowledgebase button.

If you recall the original FAQ, it had two sections: G&L General Questions and G&L Tech Tips. I have replicated those in the Knowledgebase as sub-forums.
The one item which is currently missing is the one on the G&L Tributes which Ed was referring to. I have plans to update the info for the Tributes since there
have been changes to them, such as factory location and models. I just added it to the G&L General Questions sub-forum.

Also, the Knowledgebase is a works in progress - see the Read This First file.

Hope this helps.

Tue May 11, 2010 12:11 pm

A couple of other differences:

USA model has a 10 year warranty, the Tribute has a 2 year warranty.
USA model's neck is Plek'd, the Tribute is not.
USA model has chrome-plated brass saddles on the bridge, the Tribute has nickel plated die-cast saddles.
USA model comes with a Tolex case, the Tribute comes with a gig bag.
USA model can be custom ordered with many options available, the Tribute is limited to one color and two different fretboard choices.
Also, I want to make a correction to someone's earlier post, the Tribute neck radius is 9" (228.6mm).

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Craig on Mon May 17, 2010 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Correct the Tribute warranty period

Tue May 11, 2010 12:49 pm

Craig - Are all USA neck's Plek'd? Thanks!

Tue May 11, 2010 1:19 pm

dntthnktwce wrote:Craig - Are all USA neck's Plek'd? Thanks!

Yes, they are. [Note: USA models built after 2006]

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Craig on Mon May 17, 2010 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added Note

Tue May 11, 2010 1:20 pm

Craig wrote:Hi Ches,
- see the Read This First file.

OH MY GOD......YOU'RE SUGGESTING I READ THE INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE PROCEEDING! GOOD HEAVENS, MAN, I HAVE A REPUTATION TO UPHOLD! :lol:

Thanks for the help!
Brian

Wed May 12, 2010 12:04 am

Ches wrote:I think the wood quality claim can be debated, especially compared to "the most expensive" electric guitars. They don't have a guy in Indonesia hand selecting the best tone wood. If they did, you'd never see a boat anchor ASAT or Legacy. You also left out attention to detail. I don't think imports get the same attention to detail as American made instruments. That definitely makes a difference in playability out of the box.

I totally agree, but IMO that results more in low quality control than general low quality, which might result in a wide range of qualities within the same manufacturing line, and can be compensated with careful selection of the instrument you're going to buy. I remember when my friend went for the Legacy Tribute, there were 4 or 5 in the store, and they all sounded notably different. He ended up taking an awesome sounding instrument. I couldn't believe the price he paid for it.

As for attention to detail, could be, but I couldn't really debate this point since I have no idea how skillful, careful and devoted are Indonesian employees compared to USA. What I could say about this subject is that I have seen extremely good craftsmen in Mexico City that are committed to perfection and charge a laughable amount of money for their work since their life standards are really low, so quality to price relation can mean nothing when comparing two countries as different as Indonesia and the US. Here in Mexico a construction worker would never even dream about buying an apartment, let alone a house, and that doesn't mean they are less qualified since they also build skyscrapers that resist the most intense earthquakes on a city that stands on mud.

So I will modify my initial statement:

It is possible to obtain a Tribute guitar with a quality comparable to an American made Fender or G&L if you take the trouble to compare many instruments, and have the knowledge to distinguish a high quality one if you find it.

However, I suspect the probability of finding a high quality instrument in the G&L Tribute series is high enough to provide with meaning this rather vague statement.

DP
Last edited by Dissident_penguin on Wed May 12, 2010 12:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wed May 12, 2010 12:37 am

Craig wrote:A couple of other differences:

USA model has a 10 year warranty, the Tribute has a 2 year warranty.
USA model's neck is Plek'd, the Tribute is not.
USA model has chrome-plated brass saddles on the bridge, the Tribute has nickel plated die-cast saddles.
USA model comes with a Tolex case, the Tribute comes with a gig bag.
USA model can be custom ordered with many options available, the Tribute is limited to one color and two different fretboard choices.
Also, I want to make a correction to someone's earlier post, the Tribute neck radius is 9" (228.6mm).

Hope this helps.

Really interesting. Thanks !! Just a question.
What metal/alloy is used for the die-cast saddles?

Thanks !
DP
Last edited by Craig on Mon May 17, 2010 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Correct the Tribute warranty period

Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:13 am

Holy cow.Well,thanks for the input guys.I had forgotten about this thread.

I've decided to sell 2 of my lower end guitars and throw in some $ and go USA.So many gorgeous finish options and just superior all around over the tribby.I'll post pics and register when i find the right one.

Thanks again.