L2500 Tribute passive mode

Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:02 pm

I just acquired an L2500 Tribute bass and am very happy with it. I have one question about the passive pickups. When the preamp is switched off, are the pickups operating in a true passive mode? I found that when I remove the battery from the bass, the pickups do not work in passive mode. This would suggest that they are not true passive pickups. Or is there something wrong with the wiring of my L2500?

Can someone please shine some light on this subject?

Many thanks.

MikeB

Re: L2500 Tribute passive mode

Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:19 pm

MikeB wrote:I just acquired an L2500 Tribute bass and am very happy with it. I have one question about the passive pickups. When the preamp is switched off, are the pickups operating in a true passive mode? I found that when I remove the battery from the bass, the pickups do not work in passive mode. This would suggest that they are not true passive pickups. Or is there something wrong with the wiring of my L2500?

Can someone please shine some light on this subject?

Many thanks.

MikeB

The switch nearest the bridge should have three positions: passive, active, active w/treble boost. The two active positions should be pretty obvious in the way they sound. Switching to passive should take a little of the edge off. That's the way it's supposed to work with the stock circuit. There are a bunch of modified Tribute L series basses floating around, and if you bought used you may have gotten one.

With the stock circuit you should be able to remove the battery (or have a dead battery), switch to passive mode, and still have the goodness of that L-2500. You might verify that you're in the passive switch position. The bass will ONLY work without a battery with the switch set to passive mode.

If you purchased the bass new from a G&L dealer and you're within the 2 year warranty period, you should contact the selling dealer for a repair. If you purchased used or you're out of warranty, you might consider joining us on the low side at BassesByLeo. We have some sharp folks over there that may be able to help.

Ken...
Last edited by Ken Baker on Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:24 pm

Ken Baker wrote:

If you purchased the bass new from a G&L dealer and you're within the 1 year warranty period, you should contact the selling dealer for a repair.

Actually, the G&L Tribute warranty period is 2 years.

Hope this helps.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:56 pm

Craig wrote:Actually, the G&L Tribute warranty period is 2 years.

Hope this helps.

It does, thanks.

Either I keep falling out of the loop or can't seem to break into it. :problem:

Ken...